Bandwidth on Voip

« sssss | EE »

Old August 1st 05, 09:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
tony p

Default Bandwidth on Voip

Sorry if this an old question I'm on Satellite and service is capped at 1gb
in and 125mb out per month,by my reasoning 150 mins of VOIP calls and my
usage is reached(1mb a min)Correct?Any solutions?TIA

Old August 1st 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
tony p

Already using Skype and Bentleywalker,latency is a problem however,you can't
change the laws of physics,anyone using a satellite system uses it as a last
resort simply because their Telecom provider cannot provide rural access as
is the case here in Spain(Despite private telecom company Telefonica getting
a huge lump of EU cash in 2003 to improve the rural infrastructure-whoops
there I go again)

Old August 2nd 05, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
George

"tony p" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
Sorry if this an old question I'm on Satellite and service is capped
at 1gb in and 125mb out per month,by my reasoning 150 mins of VOIP
calls and my usage is reached(1mb a min)Correct?Any solutions?TIA

You could use one of the low bandwidth codecs. The quality difference
isn't too bad, but the band width saving is substantial

George

Old August 2nd 05, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
tony p

Interesting George,which do you suggest,thanks

Old August 3rd 05, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Rankin

tony p wrote:
Sorry if this an old question I'm on Satellite and service is capped at 1gb
in and 125mb out per month,by my reasoning 150 mins of VOIP calls and my
usage is reached(1mb a min)Correct?Any solutions?TIA

Unless satellite connections have come a long way since I've used them ,
then I think a big limiting factor would be the lack of upstream bandwidth.
Old August 3rd 05, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
tony p

So in answer to my question..................tia.

Old August 4th 05, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
CheaperThanBT

One meg minute??

--

Earn 400 - 600 a month 10 - 15 hours a week Hit reply and beg for details
or call

Broadband ADSL 16.99/mo. NO RESTRICTIONS
https://secure.v21.co.uk/user_signup...c=adsl_choices

Save on your BT phone bill.
Get 5 worth of calls FREE!!
Get 10 for every friend you sign up!
http://www.CheaperThanBT.org.uk/1

Cheapest domains in the world! I'm not joking!
http://www.QuarkBomb.co.uk/domain

Free tools for webmasters. Well worth your attention!
http://www.bravenet.com/?csid=150&afilid=3687474985

"tony p" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
: Sorry if this an old question I'm on Satellite and service is capped at
1gb
: in and 125mb out per month,by my reasoning 150 mins of VOIP calls and my
: usage is reached(1mb a min)Correct?Any solutions?TIA
:
:

Old August 5th 05, 02:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JC

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 16:58:47 GMT, Thomas Rankin
wrote:

Unless satellite connections have come a long way since I've used them ,
then I think a big limiting factor would be the lack of upstream bandwidth.

Actually the biggest problem is latency - the delay while the signal
is sent to the satellite and back. This causes (in geostationary
systems) delays of 1/3 a second which messes up handshaking, can cause
awful echo and confusion over who should be talking.

Rgds
Jonathan

Old August 5th 05, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
tony p

yes I know about the latency I've been using it for 6 months but does it use
1mb a min upload and down thanks