Another beginner question.

Old August 1st 05, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilÅ

Default Another beginner question.

I have the x-lite thingy working great and was thinking of getting a USB
phone thing to use (under £10).

Can I use this together with a ATA at the same time, or do I either have to
use the ATA OR the x-link SW and not both.

I.E. with both connected would both the analogue phones on the ata and the
x-link SW ring out??

Old August 1st 05, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
I have the x-lite thingy working great and was thinking of getting a USB
phone thing to use (under £10).

Can I use this together with a ATA at the same time, or do I either have
to use the ATA OR the x-link SW and not both.

I.E. with both connected would both the analogue phones on the ata and
the x-link SW ring out??

Both should ring, but it may be unstable and isn't guaranteed.

Ivor

Old August 2nd 05, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
George

"PhilÅ" wrote in message
I have the x-lite thingy working great and was thinking of getting a
USB phone thing to use (under £10).

Can I use this together with a ATA at the same time, or do I either
have to use the ATA OR the x-link SW and not both.

I.E. with both connected would both the analogue phones on the ata and
the x-link SW ring out??

I got one of these USB phones from Ebay. To be honest, it wasn't that
great. I replaced it with an ATA with in a few weeks. Have a look on
Ebay, there are guys selling Grandstream ATAs for £38, and IP phones for
£43. The quality difference is quite dramatic. Just remember that you
need a router or modem with an ethernet connection! The USB thing is in
a drawer now...

George

Old August 3rd 05, 12:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JC

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 21:20:19 GMT, "PhilÅ"
wrote:

Can I use this together with a ATA at the same time, or do I either have to
use the ATA OR the x-link SW and not both.

It really depends on the service you're using. Services based on
Asterisk tend to only allow one registration at a time. If you have
more than one trying to register then the last device to do so will
receive incoming calls. Services based on SER or other software may
allow multiple registrations depending on their configuration but you
would need to check with the service provider to know what they're
using or if they support multiple devices.

My advice would be to use an ATA or hardware phone where possible and
use a soft phone (such as Xten) only when needed and with a separate
headset or usb device. In my opinion most headsets are better than the
USB phones and a USB phone is no substitute for an ATA and "real"
phone.

Rgds
Jonathan