Free ATA

Old August 2nd 05, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PhilÅ

Default Free ATA

Have I read this right.

Free Linksys ata if you sign up, no minimum contract??

http://www.vonage.co.uk/

Old August 2nd 05, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

PhilÅ wrote:
Have I read this right.

Free Linksys ata if you sign up, no minimum contract??

http://www.vonage.co.uk/

£9.99 a month though.. Also the ATA is locked to Vonage.

Ivor

Old August 2nd 05, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JC

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 20:19:39 +0100, wrote:

Ok Jonathan which other provider will give you a service for 33p a day
and let you make all the calls you want to UK and all Ireland

http://www.legend.co.uk/home/telecom...ider_unlim.php

....of course they're only 24p per day if you just need the UK but I
know there are similar services as well.

works and speaks in English) and what's more they are an American
company not a German company based in the former NAZI Germany . Also

My friend I think you have a bit of a problem or are just being very
very silly. I know I would much rather do business with a company
based in the EU than one outside given the choice. I don't normally
feed the trolls but I'm afraid I can't help myself in this case as
someone may take your comments out of context and think you're
serious.

they do provide a free customer service number so who cares how long
you have to wait and up to now I have found staff to be more than

You obviously value your time a lot less than I do mine.

Rgds
Jonathan

Old August 2nd 05, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Westwell

wrote in message

My adaptor was supplied directly from Vonage, was ordered on a Saturday
and
arrived the following Tuesday, it cost nothing but the connection fee.

But you do have to give it back if you decide to leave my PAP2 from
Staples is mine to keep even though the phone ports are tied to Vonage
the router section isn't and can be used has a three port router for
ever and a day Vonage or no Vonage .

Well true I guess but you can buy a router for £30 regardless?

Personally I use a Linksys WRT54GS running Talisman firmware, My Vonage
RT31P2 sits behind it and only perfomes an ATA function.

Support are very helpful, some better then others I admit but generally
the
best telephone support I have encountered in recent years.

The Vonage knockers will not agree with you Paul .

I have no problem with that, I value my own opinion.

Other then that it just works like your ordinary BT line but with a full
suite of star services plus a few extra's including excellent voicemail.
No
messing about with international format for UK numbers, dial local numbers
as you would from BT i.e 123456, CLI etc etc.

I can't I do have to dial my local area code first before dialing a
local number .

Out of the box?

I can see it been a huge attraction to people that want a VOIP alternative
that just works and does not require a degree in computer science to
configure.

A real help Paul no messing around setting up at all you do not even
have to put your phone number into the ATA all done for you .

Absolutely. I love messing around and experimenting with new technology but
the majority will not.

Regards,

Paul

Old August 2nd 05, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Westwell

"JC" wrote in message

The Vonage knockers will not agree with you Paul .

Yup. I thought Vonage support was a joke. Bare in mind I did buy the
product with the intention of using Vonage, I just planned to use the
second port for my work system.

I did a little research before I purchased and realised it was locked, a
call to Vonage was all that was required over and above the usual
www.google.co.uk search!

Regards,

Paul

Old August 3rd 05, 12:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JC

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:47:57 GMT, "Paul Westwell"
wrote:

I did a little research before I purchased and realised it was locked, a
call to Vonage was all that was required over and above the usual
www.google.co.uk search!

Well I was aware that they locked them in the US but could find no
reference at the time to the UK service. I did notice that the router
was £ 30 in Staples (I bought the RT31) and free on the Vonage site. I
also checked that it used SIP from the Linksys spec. Since there was
no reference to locking anywhere and I did want the Vonage service I
bought the Linksys from Staples expecting it to be unlocked, after all
I was paying £ 30 over their "free" price. Ironically if it hadn't
been locked I would probably be a Vonage customer today and singing
their praises.

It's purely the way they handled my request to unlock the device (like
a mobile phone I thought they might do so for an "admin" fee - they
wont) that really upset me and gave me a taste of the way they treat
their customers. £ 30 for a device that is useless for VoIP if you
cancel your subscription and has a second port that can't be used. I
then bought a PAP2 for £ 35 unlocked which performs superbly.

Since I would have paid an extra £ 30 effectively for nothing and
would still need an unlocked device for other services, I took it
back. Vonage don't appear to let you sign up unless you take their
hardware and I'm really not going to run two separate 2 port boxes
using a port on each even if one is supplied "free".

Rgds
Jonathan

Old August 3rd 05, 12:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Phil Thompson wrote:
On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 20:35:48 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

but what else is it..?

a fixed monthly service charge, like we established Orange charge
:-)

Rental by another name..!

Ivor

Old August 3rd 05, 12:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JC

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 00:30:23 +0100, wrote:

It is time you realized that our friends are to the west not the east

I'm definitely not getting in to politics but since the UK is a member
of the EU your consumer rights are much greater when buying from
within the EU than outside. That's a very strong argument in favor of
EU suppliers. Of course you have to be happy with the EU supplier in
the first place or its a moot point.

I think God willing I should have around 22/23 years of time left in
me yet considering passed family health history Jonathan and I have
all the time in the world except for sleeping time .

Fair enough. I spent 20 mins trying to get through to the right
department in BT the other day for a really urgent problem. I believe
that companies should answer the phone and deal with questions in a
reasonable time and manor. When telecoms companies, be they BT, Vonage
or whoever are unable to do this it doesn't bare well.

All these new VoIP providers need to realise that this is not the
USA. We can get free calls to landlines from literally tens, possibly
hundreds of suppliers on our regular phone lines. If they want our
business they need to provide a service - mobility for both location
and hardware. That's something the fixed operators just can't compete
with and I'd actually pay a premium for this with good service. Vonage
just seem to want to compete with BT, Talktalk etc. which is fine but
I don't think sustainable in the long term unless they change their
business practices regarding locked hardware etc.

I am retired due to ill health ( only mobility problems ) so like to
indulge in all the BEST communication services available, sooner
sit here and chat on the phone to friends than drive around in the car
all day wasting precious fuel .

Well I can certainly agree with your sentiments but I'm not at home
during the day to receive mail order packages and often pass a staples
(every few weeks). It's easier to pickup something from a shop when
passing than drive to the courier depot 15 miles away. Of course
Staples is also 15 miles away so if I have to make a special trip to
take something back it sort of cancels out.

Rgds
Jonathan

Old August 3rd 05, 01:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JC

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 00:31:09 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Rental by another name..!

I get 500 mins "free" on my mobile for £ 25. But can't just have the
calls without the charge.

I got a free Pizza with the one I bought for £ 9.99, but they wouldn't
just give me the free one.

I bought a pack of light bulbs with one extra "free" but they wouldn't
split the pack.

It's about time these things were regulated so a company could only
claim something was free if you could legitimately take it without
purchasing anything else, in the same way that competitions have to
allow free entries in some form. They could still have attractive
offers or limit them to "one per household" but it wouldn't appear so
dishonest.

Rgds
Jonathan