VOIP over dialup

Old August 3rd 05, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
etillet

Default VOIP over dialup

Hi,

Has anyone had any success with VOIP over dialup?

I know someone in a location at which broadband access is prohibitively
expensive (not in the UK) but they do have dialup. Will a "proper" VOIP
product work over dialup?
Old August 3rd 05, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"etillet" wrote in message
Hi,

Has anyone had any success with VOIP over dialup?

I know someone in a location at which broadband access is prohibitively
expensive (not in the UK) but they do have dialup. Will a "proper" VOIP
product work over dialup?

Well its a yes an no answer

Yes it will work,
But no it will normally be so bad as to be unusable.
I has been said that skype will work over dialup, The only way of finding
out is trying or get ISDN installed.

Ian

Old August 3rd 05, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Rankin

Mark wrote:
On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 16:37:49 +0100, "Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk
wrote:

"etillet" wrote in message

Hi,

Has anyone had any success with VOIP over dialup?

I know someone in a location at which broadband access is prohibitively
expensive (not in the UK) but they do have dialup. Will a "proper" VOIP
product work over dialup?

Well its a yes an no answer

Yes it will work,
But no it will normally be so bad as to be unusable.
I has been said that skype will work over dialup, The only way of finding
out is trying or get ISDN installed.

I read somewhere that some people in Greece use Skype over dialup
Internet access because broadband availability is so limited at the
moment.

For a laugh I also tried Skype over GPRS - well it 'works' (kind-of),
but the performance is completely crap and of course you pay for
others' control messages (or whatever it is) because Skype is a P2P
system!

I imagine most products would need to use one of the more compressing
codecs, there simply isn't the bandwidth to use G.711 (even with
V.92).

Believe it or not, the other week I found a VoIP client that runs on a
mobile phone.

May be good if there's a provider that gives free 3G data access (still
sounds too slow to me), Damned if I can remember what it's called though.
Old August 3rd 05, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk wrote in message

"etillet" wrote in message
Hi,

Has anyone had any success with VOIP over dialup?

I know someone in a location at which broadband access is prohibitively
expensive (not in the UK) but they do have dialup. Will a "proper" VOIP
product work over dialup?

Well its a yes an no answer

Yes it will work,
But no it will normally be so bad as to be unusable.
I has been said that skype will work over dialup, The only way of
finding
out is trying or get ISDN installed.

Ian

I can't see the point myself. If you're going to dial up an ISP you might
as well dial up the person you want to speak to..!

Ivor

Old August 3rd 05, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Mark" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:09:27 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

[snip]

I can't see the point myself. If you're going to dial up an ISP you
might
as well dial up the person you want to speak to..!

To by-pass expensive International call charges maybe, where poor
alternatives exist?

True.. There are usually callthrough numbers available for most
international destinations, at least in the UK, but of course this may not
be the case elsewhere, as the OP indicated an overseas location.

It might be worth investigating callthrough services before trying VoIP. I
have heard that Skype works on dialup but how well I don't know, never
having tried it. I doubt any SIP based service would, unless you used a
very low quality codec.

Ivor

Old August 3rd 05, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stuart Millington

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:00:38 GMT, Thomas Rankin
wrote:

Believe it or not, the other week I found a VoIP client that runs on a
mobile phone.

Well, yes, but my "old" mobile phone is an XDA II with a WiFi card. So
I would expect VoIP and good performance over that - it worked OK at
home and once I get the spare access point kit into work's network
it'll work there too [1].

However, with the smaller "smart phones" this should be more common,
even via Bluetooth-PC-Network routes (corporate firewalls aside). I
don't really see the network operators rushing to support it though
;-)

[1] I'm the network admin, so it would be authorised by me and the
boss if I ever had the time to do it :-(

- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
- mailtohttp://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -
Old August 3rd 05, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Thomas Rankin

wrote:

Believe it or not, the other week I found a VoIP client that runs on a
mobile phone.

Well, yes, but my "old" mobile phone is an XDA II with a WiFi card. So
I would expect VoIP and good performance over that - it worked OK at
home and once I get the spare access point kit into work's network
it'll work there too [1].

However, with the smaller "smart phones" this should be more common,
even via Bluetooth-PC-Network routes (corporate firewalls aside). I
don't really see the network operators rushing to support it though
;-)

Small point, but aren't the data rates far too slow over bluetooth?
Unless the clever bit is done by a computer that it is connecting to,
and then you may as well be using a softphone on that machine.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth

1.0/1.1/1.2 is up to 700Kbps and 2.0 is up to 2.1Mbps, so it should
work OK - ADSL uplink speeds are rarely above 256Kbps anyway. And 2.0
kit is rare IIRC.

Obviously quality is going to be limited compared to a 2Mbps SDSL
connection (with multiple calls) via WiFi and jitter is not going to
be helped by a PC "being in the way", but it should be useable -
especially when compared to most network's "non-inclusive" call
charges ;-)

Old August 4th 05, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Mark" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:09:27 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

[snip]

I can't see the point myself. If you're going to dial up an ISP you
might
as well dial up the person you want to speak to..!

To by-pass expensive International call charges maybe, where poor
alternatives exist?

True.. There are usually callthrough numbers available for most
international destinations, at least in the UK, but of course this may not
be the case elsewhere, as the OP indicated an overseas location.

It might be worth investigating callthrough services before trying VoIP. I
have heard that Skype works on dialup but how well I don't know, never
having tried it. I doubt any SIP based service would, unless you used a
very low quality codec.

Not realy I used to use G723 over dialup as mentioned, This was in the late
90's to talk to support in Canada and the US using a US supplier who offered
Free calls within the US. Call quality was usable.

Having used G729 over GPRS i can confirm that G723 over dialup was far far
better.

Ian

Old August 4th 05, 02:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

I did try it with Sipgate & Xten and established a connection, but
conversation was near impossible.

My understanding is that the trick is to set the modem (where possible) to
same speed EACH way, e.g. 28k up and 28k down.
I didn't know at the time so I can't say it works.
Regards,
Martin