VOIP seems a waste of time

Old August 5th 05, 09:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
AD C

Default VOIP seems a waste of time

This VOIP thing seems to be a waste of time and effort.

I have read a lot of messages on here and have noticed people having so
many problems, I have looked at web site and prices and to be honest,
the prices are no better than what I can get on my normal home phone
line. Yet most VOPI suppliers will charge 9 a month.

I already get charged 9 a month on phone rental, my calls in the UK are
next to nothing in the day time and cost me 5p for 80 minutes in the
evenings and weekends. People who uses the same phone company as myself,
I can call them free anytime. International calls are also very cheap.

I do use MSN to talk to a couple of people in the U.S because it is
free, but is about as close to VOIP I will ever get. Yes I know BT is
changing it's system to VOIP, but I will make no difference to me, I
just hope it is reliable.

Old August 5th 05, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave

"Ad C" wrote in message
k...

This VOIP thing seems to be a waste of time and effort.

I sort of agree with you except I use VoIP two extra free incoming lines.

Other than that, I wouldn't bother with it either. Its not as reliable as a
BT line on the whole.

Old August 5th 05, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Angus Comber

If you are a home user then yes there isn't a lot of attraction yet as most
of the people you call will not have a VoIP account etc. Indeed the
technology is new and so there will be a lot of 'technical' problems until
it is as smooth as using the standard PSTN.

But there are many applications of VoIP - particularly for a business which
make it very attractive.

I am interested personally because I provide phone systems to businesses and
I am in the process of building a solution using VoIP based on the Asterisk.
But probably most of the systems I build in the short term will be VoIP
gateways so a company can use IP phones internally but external calls will
go out over traditional PSTN.

Angus

k...

Old August 5th 05, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
sean

The main reason i like it ,is because it give additional lines at a
cheap price. So everyone in the house can be on the phone at the same
time, no arguements!
Old August 5th 05, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
John Daragon

Ad C wrote:
This VOIP thing seems to be a waste of time and effort.

I have read a lot of messages on here and have noticed people having so
many problems, I have looked at web site and prices and to be honest,
the prices are no better than what I can get on my normal home phone
line. Yet most VOPI suppliers will charge 9 a month.

I already get charged 9 a month on phone rental, my calls in the UK are
next to nothing in the day time and cost me 5p for 80 minutes in the
evenings and weekends. People who uses the same phone company as myself,
I can call them free anytime. International calls are also very cheap.

I do use MSN to talk to a couple of people in the U.S because it is
free, but is about as close to VOIP I will ever get. Yes I know BT is
changing it's system to VOIP, but I will make no difference to me, I
just hope it is reliable.

For most domestic users I think you're right. Where it *really* comes
into its own is for businesses who make large numbers of short calls,
and who can replace multiple ISDN30 trunks with 2Mbps SDSL connections.

Oh, and for geographic presence, of course.

jd

--

John Daragon
argv[0] limited (Asterisk implementation & consultancy)

Old August 5th 05, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

"Ad C" wrote in message
k...
This VOIP thing seems to be a waste of time and effort.

can call them free anytime. International calls are also very cheap.

I do use MSN to talk to a couple of people in the U.S because it is
free, but is about as close to VOIP I will ever get. Yes I know BT is
changing it's system to VOIP, but I will make no difference to me, I
just hope it is reliable.
===

I sell VOIP ethernet phones and have spoken to people at computer fairs etc
I have to agree with a lot of what you say, for the every day person in the
street VOIP as it is now is a toy, in that it is nice to have but is not
needed, call charges with people like sipgate, voipfone etc are not lower
than 18866.com
and with deals lile that offerered by NTL its hard to recoup back any money.

However how I see benefit of VOIP is to offering services which you would
not normally think of doing with BT
For example if you have a busy house with lots of teenagers who want to use
the phone, its very cheap to have a couple of sipgate lines running
so there is always a free phone in the house.

If you work from differeent sites and want to keep the same local phone
number without have a redirection to the other sites or your mobile its easy
to do.

Living/working in spain and don't want people to call international to speak
to you, get a UK SIP account...free

Starting your own business and want a high power PBX system but don't want
to pay a fortune for kit which is out of date as soon as it is installed
use a virtual PBX or Asterisks.

There is lots of things that can be done other than just trying to save
money on call costs

Old August 5th 05, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
BKM

"RH" wrote in message

"Ad C" wrote in message
k...
[...]

It does have some features which are useful but on the whole it is not worth
bothering with if your only use is domestic telephony. Get a cheap deal from
your provider.

Brian

Old August 5th 05, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Blunt

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 14:44:57 +0100, "RH"
wrote:

Living/working in spain and don't want people to call international to speak
to you, get a UK SIP account...free

This may not apply to Spain, but from many countries, particularly
those outside Europe, international calls are still quite expensive.
Being able to call the UK for 1p a minute from where I am in Asia
saves me a lot of money.

Chris

Old August 5th 05, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Chris Blunt:
wrote:

Living/working in spain and don't want people to call international
to speak to you, get a UK SIP account...free

This may not apply to Spain, but from many countries, particularly
those outside Europe, international calls are still quite expensive.
Being able to call the UK for 1p a minute from where I am in Asia
saves me a lot of money.

Chris

Why not use VoIP Buster or VoIP Cheap and pay nothing instead!

For Free 10 credit when you get referred to TalkTalk or 5 when referred to
easyMobile contact me via above site.