VoIP question

Old August 6th 05, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Scott

Default VoIP question

I have signed up for Skype and Sipgate for VoIP services however I notice
that Sipgate requires an ethernet phone and is not compatible with USB
handsets, is this correct?

If this is correct then how can I connect the Ethernet phone to my PC as I
am on the remote end of a wireless connection - the broadband link comes
into the house downstairs where I have a Belkin Pre-N router, my PC here has
a wireless card installed.

I do have a single Ethernet port on my PC, is there any way I can set it up
to look to the wireless connection as a gateway?

Regards

Mark

Old August 6th 05, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Mark Scott" mark - scott @ blueyonder . co . uk wrote in message
news
I have signed up for Skype and Sipgate for VoIP services however I notice
that Sipgate requires an ethernet phone and is not compatible with USB
handsets, is this correct?

No not realy, Sipgate or any other SIP based voip service can be used with
what is called a softphone, such as xtens http://www.xten.com Xlite or
firefly at https://www.virbiage.com/download.php firefly is good as it
supports both sip and iax, you then will need to specify the mic and speaker
of the usb phone as the sound sources for the softphone. more than likely
you wil have to dial with he softphone unless you are very lucky

If this is correct then how can I connect the Ethernet phone to my PC as I
am on the remote end of a wireless connection - the broadband link comes
into the house downstairs where I have a Belkin Pre-N router, my PC here

has
a wireless card installed.

dependon on OS you could bridge the intefaces.

I do have a single Ethernet port on my PC, is there any way I can set it

up
to look to the wireless connection as a gateway?

yes see above. but this depends on OS

Ian

Old August 6th 05, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham

I have signed up for Skype and Sipgate for VoIP services however I notice
that Sipgate requires an ethernet phone and is not compatible with USB
handsets, is this correct?

If this is correct then how can I connect the Ethernet phone to my PC as I
am on the remote end of a wireless connection - the broadband link comes
into the house downstairs where I have a Belkin Pre-N router, my PC here

has
a wireless card installed.

I do have a single Ethernet port on my PC, is there any way I can set it

up
to look to the wireless connection as a gateway?

Regards

Why don't you plug an ATA into one of the ethernet ports of the router, and
a DECT base into the ATA?

Unless you are using a softphone, it seems daft to have your PC in the VoIP
equation at all.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old August 6th 05, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 12:38:44 GMT, "Mark Scott" mark - scott @
blueyonder . co . uk wrote:

I do have a single Ethernet port on my PC, is there any way I can set it up
to look to the wireless connection as a gateway?

use Internet Connection Sharing to feed the ATA via a crossover cable
from the ethernet port of a wirelessly connected PC

http://www.yarwell.blogspot.com/

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)
Old August 7th 05, 02:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

As already suggested, the easiest solution is a DECT phone plugged into ATA
which in turn plugs into an ethernet port of a router. Router with built in
VoIP ports (Draytek, Zyxel, Zoom) is even better as it can set priority for
voice traffic - aka QoS.
Finally you can buy a WiFi VoIP phone such as Zyxel 2000W, which will even
work with Hot Spots in public places, but they are still darn expensive
~£150 (was £200).
Some day soon (or so they say...) there will be GSM mobile phones with WiFi
VoIP built in,
but I am not holding my breath.

I use Voipbuster and Xten softphones over WiFi and have QoS with Draytek
2600VG router,
will switch to DECT as soon as I find suitable handset / deal.
Regards,
Martin