Questions re Firefly and Sipgate

Old August 6th 05, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

Default Questions re Firefly and Sipgate

"Bonnie Bumble" wrote in message
.. .
I have setup Firefly to use Sipgate, but have a few questions I'm hoping
someone here knows the answers to.

Firstly, I get no dial or ringing tone when making a call to a landline,
and suddenly hear the other person's voice when/if they answer. I suspect
there might also be a slight delay between them speaking and me hearing
their voice as a couple of people have said hello more than once.

Secondly, when I hang up, this doesn't seem to end the call. A test to my
landline number continues to ring after I've clicked hang-up in firefly,

if
I pick up the handset I just get a dead line tone.

Thirdly, I have compiled and am using the g729 codec (which is why I am
using firefly) as my ntl cable only has 64kbps upload and using x-lite

with
gsm the called party can hardly hear me. However the people I'm calling
sometimes say I sound a bit echoey, and I sometimes seem to get a few

small
gaps in received speech. Does anyone know the best combination of
codecs/settings to aleviate these?

Hi, Ill try to cover the easy ones first, What are you using to speak as if
you are a bit echoey iys often to do with volume. try dropping the mic and
speaker volume. As to the breaks in speech, That still may happen, remember
you are while talking using arround 50% of your avalible bandwidth, so you
will have to expect a couple of dropped packets.

I am at the moment using firefly as an IAX softphone but have also used it
as sip and in both protocols ive not had the problems you mention. This
sounds like a signaling problem. Are you running the latest load ? AFAIK its
1.9.9 build 4521

Also did you have the problems before compliling the G729 codec ?

Short of running ethereal to check the messaging which is what i would do
now, there is little to do but a clean install test it, then complile g729
and test it. and see what happens

Good luck