Telephone to soundcard

Old August 9th 05, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Snoggy

Default Telephone to soundcard

Hi,

I want to connect a standard cordless phone unit to my soundcard to use with
voipcheap type programs. Is there an easy way of connecting a phone to my
soundcard - I've seen weird schematics on the web for adaptors but don't
have the means to assemble one.

Regards

Snobby

Old August 9th 05, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Snoggy wrote:
[...]
I want to connect a standard cordless phone unit to my soundcard to
use with voipcheap type programs. Is there an easy way of connecting
a phone to my soundcard - I've seen weird schematics on the web for
adaptors but don't have the means to assemble one.

Why not use a proper ATA instead of the arse-about-face method you
propose?

--
Her virtue was that she said what she thought, her vice that what she thought
didn't amount to much.
Old August 9th 05, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Sparks

wrote in message
Snoggy wrote:
[...]
I want to connect a standard cordless phone unit to my soundcard to
use with voipcheap type programs. Is there an easy way of connecting
a phone to my soundcard - I've seen weird schematics on the web for
adaptors but don't have the means to assemble one.

Why not use a proper ATA instead of the arse-about-face method you
propose?

I thought VoIPCheap used IAX?
I didn't think ATA's usually supoorted this?

Sparks...

Old August 9th 05, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Sparks wrote:
wrote:

[...]
Why not use a proper ATA instead of the arse-about-face method you
propose?

I thought VoIPCheap used IAX?
I didn't think ATA's usually supoorted this?

This one does:

http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu...&product=S101I

--
"I Adjure Thee, O Foul Demon of The Sinus, by this Leatherman Tool and
this Fully Earthed 30 Amp Power Strip! Remain Thou within the Faraday
Old August 9th 05, 05:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Snoggy

Why not use a proper ATA instead of the arse-about-face method you
propose?

I thought VoIPCheap used IAX?
I didn't think ATA's usually supoorted this?

This software is not SIP based - its more like yahoo/msn chat - I'm looking
more for a portable headset solution but was wondering if anyone has ever
successfully hooked up a cordless phone to a soundcard - I know it is
possible but the schematics on the net are in ASCII and look like they are
from the 1970's.

Snobby

Old August 10th 05, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
7

Snoggy wrote:

Why not use a proper ATA instead of the arse-about-face method you
propose?

I thought VoIPCheap used IAX?
I didn't think ATA's usually supoorted this?

This software is not SIP based - its more like yahoo/msn chat - I'm
looking more for a portable headset solution but was wondering if anyone
has ever successfully hooked up a cordless phone to a soundcard - I know
it is possible but the schematics on the net are in ASCII and look like
they are from the 1970's.

Snobby

Voipbuster.co.uk, voipfone.co.uk - they have free software for
microphone+headphone.
Also there are cordless WiFI phones with VoIP functions
so you can cut out the PC and still be cordless.

Old August 13th 05, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rupert

"Snoggy" wrote in message
. uk...

I want to connect a standard cordless phone unit to my soundcard to use

with
voipcheap type programs. Is there an easy way of connecting a phone to my
soundcard - I've seen weird schematics on the web for adaptors but don't
have the means to assemble one.

I think this - http://www.bitcall.com/english/voip-box.asp - allows you to
use an analogue phone as an audio device and the keypad as a HID.