Payphone

Old August 12th 05, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
sean

Default Payphone

Seem a payphone today, with a sign above it.. Said 'When using the
phone, always include the STD code, even for local calls. And dial the
first four numbers quickly'

I can understand the STD code requirement.. It could be using Voip.. But
anyone know why you need to dial the first four numbers quickly?!
Old August 12th 05, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Sean" wrote in message
Seem a payphone today, with a sign above it.. Said 'When using the
phone, always include the STD code, even for local calls. And dial the
first four numbers quickly'

I can understand the STD code requirement.. It could be using Voip.. But
anyone know why you need to dial the first four numbers quickly?!

Hi
It will be a hotline off a PBX, What they mean is dont pick up the handset
and wait as most hotlines time out.
This is normal for payphones off systems as they are in hotels and hospitals
etc.

Ian

Old August 12th 05, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
sean

Ian wrote:
"Sean" wrote in message

Seem a payphone today, with a sign above it.. Said 'When using the
phone, always include the STD code, even for local calls. And dial the
first four numbers quickly'

I can understand the STD code requirement.. It could be using Voip.. But
anyone know why you need to dial the first four numbers quickly?!

Hi
It will be a hotline off a PBX, What they mean is dont pick up the handset
and wait as most hotlines time out.
This is normal for payphones off systems as they are in hotels and hospitals
etc.

Ian

OK What you think the reason for the full STD is?
Old August 12th 05, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
dcuk

Sean wrote:
Ian wrote:

"Sean" wrote in message

Seem a payphone today, with a sign above it.. Said 'When using the
phone, always include the STD code, even for local calls. And dial the
first four numbers quickly'

I can understand the STD code requirement.. It could be using Voip.. But
anyone know why you need to dial the first four numbers quickly?!

Hi
It will be a hotline off a PBX, What they mean is dont pick up the
handset
and wait as most hotlines time out.
This is normal for payphones off systems as they are in hotels and
hospitals
etc.

Ian

OK What you think the reason for the full STD is?

maybe the call is prefixed by a shortcode like 1899 and 18866 which
requires you to dial the full code.
Old August 12th 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Sean" wrote in message
Ian wrote:
"Sean" wrote in message

Seem a payphone today, with a sign above it.. Said 'When using the
phone, always include the STD code, even for local calls. And dial the
first four numbers quickly'

I can understand the STD code requirement.. It could be using Voip.. But
anyone know why you need to dial the first four numbers quickly?!

Hi
It will be a hotline off a PBX, What they mean is dont pick up the

handset
and wait as most hotlines time out.
This is normal for payphones off systems as they are in hotels and

hospitals
etc.

Ian

OK What you think the reason for the full STD is?

Without knowing the make of payphone there may be many reasons, But normally
its to do with charging, IE dial prefixs etc, But I very much doubt it VOIP
as one of the things used to obliged to provide when even supplying a
private payphone was a 999 access.

Old August 13th 05, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip

Ian spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk wrote:
[...]
Without knowing the make of payphone there may be many reasons, But
normally its to do with charging, IE dial prefixs etc, But I very
much doubt it VOIP as one of the things used to obliged to provide
when even supplying a private payphone was a 999 access.

There's nothing inherent in VoIP that stops 999 from working. That
it's hard/expensive to do it right (or even at all) is another matter.

You can get through to 999 from our VoIP system at work, for example.

--
This woman did not fly to extremes; she lived there.
- Quentin Crisp
Old August 13th 05, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Ian

wrote in message
Ian spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk wrote:
[...]
Without knowing the make of payphone there may be many reasons, But
normally its to do with charging, IE dial prefixs etc, But I very
much doubt it VOIP as one of the things used to obliged to provide
when even supplying a private payphone was a 999 access.

There's nothing inherent in VoIP that stops 999 from working. That
it's hard/expensive to do it right (or even at all) is another matter.

You can get through to 999 from our VoIP system at work, for example.

You seem to be confusing an IPPBX and an IP network.
Yes all IP PBX s will or should* have 999 access, This will be routed over
the PSTN .
This is very different to 999 access over IP trunks due to location
information. This will be sorted at some point but at the moment there is
no driving force to do it. The technology exists to do this from PBXs as it
hasbeen a requirement on networked systems in the US for some time now.

Ian

*I have come access some missconfigured ones that dont though

Old August 13th 05, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk writes:

Without knowing the make of payphone there may be many reasons, But normally
its to do with charging, IE dial prefixs etc, But I very much doubt it VOIP
as one of the things used to obliged to provide when even supplying a
private payphone was a 999 access.

After the death of a child in the US where a VoIP provider routed
911 to an out of office hours answer machine, all US VoIP providers
will now have to provide a full emergency service operator access,
or close down.

I would imagine that as VoIP becomes more popular in the UK, the
same is likely to be imposed here too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old August 13th 05, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
sean

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Ian" spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk writes:

Without knowing the make of payphone there may be many reasons, But normally
its to do with charging, IE dial prefixs etc, But I very much doubt it VOIP
as one of the things used to obliged to provide when even supplying a
private payphone was a 999 access.

After the death of a child in the US where a VoIP provider routed
911 to an out of office hours answer machine, all US VoIP providers
will now have to provide a full emergency service operator access,
or close down.
ha
I would imagine that as VoIP becomes more popular in the UK, the
same is likely to be imposed here too.

Well BT BBV do, and always have provided 999 access.

I was reading on a FWD forum, about the free world dial up service, i
don't think they are going to allow 911 access.

Old August 13th 05, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Sean" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
[...]

This has been an issue that Jeff has been fighting for a long time. What you
have to remember is that FWD does not provide pstn access and is not
intended as a replacement for a phone of any type that does.

The wording is in the ofcom rules about when a UK supplier will need to
provide 999 access, Havent got them to hand, but as people start to use voip
only you may start to see wording in the T&C 's refering to 999 access and
that the voip system is not intended as a replacement public telephone
access system in an attempt to cover themselves.

Ian