VoIP adaptor considerations / questions

Old August 14th 05, 06:10 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Barrie Brown

Default VoIP adaptor considerations / questions

I have the dlink gateway ATA and according to Comwave it's not to be
used as a gateway, even though their printed manual says it is, but
has to be after the router. Anyone here know what the real story is?
Dlink tech would not talk to me.

I have ordered an Azacall 200 that is supposed to be best in class.
Any one got an opinion on it?

Barrie

On Fri, 6 May 2005 18:58:33 +0100,
(Dave Gill) wrote:

SIP seems to be the most popular open standard currently. Skype use
their own proprietary standard which (AFAIK) depends on their s/w being
installed on your computer. Vonage use SIP but their ATAs are locked in
to their service and a bog-standard ATA won't work (unless you opt for
the additional smartphone tariff and use those settings?).

Having now used both Sipura and Grandstream I would recommend Sipura.
Possibly harder to configure, because you have far more options, but
having user-configuable Caller ID and ringer settings etc is worth the
extra tinkering. And the Sipura kit seems less likely to lock-up or
crash.

The Sipura SPA-2100 and the Grandstream ATA-486 can both be used as a
router, inasmuch as it can sit between your modem and your computer, but
unless you have a proper router after it you will only be able to
connect one computer to it. The Sipura SPA-1001 can handle two lines,
but only one phone, so if you want to have simultaneous outgoing and
incoming calls you need the SPA-2000 (with a router) or the SPA-2100.

TBH if you have a standard broadband connection and don't make a habit
of doing mega-downloads while you're on the phone you probably don't
need a router-type ATA for decent QoS. I swapped my ATA-486 for a
SPA-1001 and haven't noticed any drop in call quallity.