How long to get your money back?

Old August 16th 05, 01:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David W.E. Roberts

Default How long to get your money back?

Hi,

just contemplating getting two VOIP routers (one for home and one for
'live away' location).

I could then have free voice calls between two houses (ignoring costs of
Broadband links which I would have regardless).

However I am likely to pay about £100 more for each router than for a
non-VOIP router.

Seems to me it could take quite a long time to get this money back
compared to the costs of fixed or mobile telephony on a reasonably good
deal.

What does the team think?

Regards

Dave R
Old August 16th 05, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
sean

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
Hi,

just contemplating getting two VOIP routers (one for home and one for
'live away' location).

I could then have free voice calls between two houses (ignoring costs of
Broadband links which I would have regardless).

However I am likely to pay about £100 more for each router than for a
non-VOIP router.

Seems to me it could take quite a long time to get this money back
compared to the costs of fixed or mobile telephony on a reasonably good
deal.

What does the team think?

Regards

Dave R

You can get a Linksys PAP2 for £46 delivered, and get a router for
£30ish delivered. This would cut setup cost a bit i think, and it
depends on how many calls you make to how much you think you could save.

It also depends on if it would be helpful to have a second 'line' at the
properties.. If not it would probably be easier and cheaper to use
something like 1899.com, 3p per call
Old August 16th 05, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mathew Curtis

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
Hi,

just contemplating getting two VOIP routers (one for home and one for
'live away' location).

I could then have free voice calls between two houses (ignoring costs of
Broadband links which I would have regardless).

However I am likely to pay about £100 more for each router than for a
non-VOIP router.

Seems to me it could take quite a long time to get this money back
compared to the costs of fixed or mobile telephony on a reasonably good
deal.

What does the team think?

Regards

Dave R

If you have your broadband connection why not just use a softphone then
you wont have any extra costs

Mat

Old August 16th 05, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:24:32 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

However I am likely to pay about £100 more for each router than for a
non-VOIP router.

if you already have routers in place simple ATAs would suffice. Or a
cheap router and an ATA rather than a premium VoIP router.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)
Old August 16th 05, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Blunt

wrote:

Hi,

just contemplating getting two VOIP routers (one for home and one for
'live away' location).

I could then have free voice calls between two houses (ignoring costs of
Broadband links which I would have regardless).

However I am likely to pay about £100 more for each router than for a
non-VOIP router.

Seems to me it could take quite a long time to get this money back
compared to the costs of fixed or mobile telephony on a reasonably good
deal.

What does the team think?

It depends on where the two houses are. In different parts of town,
different parts of the country, or different parts of the world? If
they're just a local call away from each other then I doubt you would
ever justify it on call cost savings alone.

Chris
Old August 16th 05, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
news
Hi,

just contemplating getting two VOIP routers (one for home
and one for 'live away' location).

I could then have free voice calls between two houses
(ignoring costs of Broadband links which I would have
regardless).

However I am likely to pay about £100 more for each
router than for a non-VOIP router.

Seems to me it could take quite a long time to get this
money back compared to the costs of fixed or mobile
telephony on a reasonably good deal.

What does the team think?

Regards

Dave R

Personally I didn't get into VoIP for cost savings. In actual fact I make
relatively few calls but I am interested in the technology involved so I
have spent quite a bit of money which I doubt I will get back in cost
savings anytime soon.

Having said that, as others have said it all depends on the amount of
traffic you will generate between the two locations. If you're on the
phone for hours at a time or running a business, you'll see a return a lot
faster than if you just make the odd call now and again.

If you already have routers in place at each location, then a simple ATA
will suffice. My personal favourite is the Sipura 2000 but YMMV as they
say.

Ivor

Old August 16th 05, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
AD C

In article , lid
says...

Personally I didn't get into VoIP for cost savings. In actual fact I make
relatively few calls but I am interested in the technology involved so I
have spent quite a bit of money which I doubt I will get back in cost
savings anytime soon.

I buy things that are going to do something either cheaper than what I
already got or better than something I have already got.

I got myself a DVD recorder, because it is better than VHS, it is not
going to save me any money, but the quality is better and the disks do
not take so much room up.

My telephone makes calls and receive calls, which is all people need
from a telephone, I suppose that is one of the reasons I will not update
my mobile phone. I can recieve calls and make calls and at the end of
the day that is what a mobile phone is suppose to be for.

I too am interested in technology, but I will not buy something if it do
not do a job better.

Having said that, as others have said it all depends on the amount of
traffic you will generate between the two locations. If you're on the
phone for hours at a time or running a business, you'll see a return a lot
faster than if you just make the odd call now and again.

If you already have routers in place at each location, then a simple ATA
will suffice. My personal favourite is the Sipura 2000 but YMMV as they
say.

But is it going to work as it should if the router have not got QOS?
Old August 16th 05, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Ad C" wrote in message
In article ,
lid says...

Personally I didn't get into VoIP for cost savings. In
actual fact I make relatively few calls but I am
interested in the technology involved so I have spent
quite a bit of money which I doubt I will get back in
cost savings anytime soon.

I buy things that are going to do something either
cheaper than what I already got or better than something
I have already got.

Well there we differ, I often do this, but I also buy things I am
interested in. As well as telephone systems I am also interested in
amateur radio, now I am never going to make money or save money with that,
but it is an interesting mode of communication.

I got myself a DVD recorder, because it is better than
VHS, it is not going to save me any money, but the
quality is better and the disks do not take so much room
up.

And I bought a recorder with a hard disk drive for exactly the same
reasons.

My telephone makes calls and receive calls, which is all
people need from a telephone, I suppose that is one of
the reasons I will not update my mobile phone. I can
recieve calls and make calls and at the end of the day
that is what a mobile phone is suppose to be for.

Me too. I have three Nokia 6310i's as there hasn't been anything better
for my usage patterns and style.

I too am interested in technology, but I will not buy
something if it do not do a job better.

A reasonable point of view, but for myself I am genuinely interested in
*how* it works, not whether it is better or not, although it is certainly
as good for the most part. Yes there are problems now and then but that's
what developing new technology is all about.

If you already have routers in place at each location,
then a simple ATA will suffice. My personal favourite
is the Sipura 2000 but YMMV as they say.

But is it going to work as it should if the router have
not got QOS?

If the connection isn't hammered with heavy downloads all the time then it
should be ok for the most part.

Ivor

Old August 16th 05, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
AD C

In article , lid
says...

Well there we differ, I often do this, but I also buy things I am
interested in. As well as telephone systems I am also interested in
amateur radio, now I am never going to make money or save money with that,
but it is an interesting mode of communication.

But that is a different thing, I was looking at Radio Ham once, but I
got so many things to do, i doubt I would get the time to use it. At 40
years of age, I think it is a bit late to think of radio Ham. I used the
CB for a few years, yes, I also used the illegal part, sideband, and AM.
but it all went to pot when it became legal.

And I bought a recorder with a hard disk drive for exactly the same
reasons.

Yep, this one have a hard disk, a pioneer, nice bit of kit. I also got a
Thomson DHd4000 Freeview PVR,

Me too. I have three Nokia 6310i's as there hasn't been anything better
for my usage patterns and style.

I liked the 3310, it may have been a bit big in size, but it worked
well, it was simple to use and at least the screen was easy to see in
bright sunlight, which is more than I can say for most now.
I got a Sendo Fliphone, it is ok, but it will need replacing in the next
12 months, but trying to get a phone, without all the crap, like
Cameras, internet, polyphonic ringtones is getting difficult.
My parents have got the Nokia now.

A reasonable point of view, but for myself I am genuinely interested in
*how* it works, not whether it is better or not, although it is certainly
as good for the most part. Yes there are problems now and then but that's
what developing new technology is all about.

I am interested in how it works, and I can get the idea most of the
time, by looking on the internet. Technology is ok, but I think
sometimes, we get to much into it and if it goes wrong, then we have
problems. Like today, I wanted to get some money out of the cash
machine, which is outside where I work. I went to put my card in and
there on the screen, was a windows desktop, with a command prompt box,
with Mcafee virus checker running.

I normally wait for a couple of years untill most of tebugs are sorted
out. I admit, I did not with the DVD recorder and I lost big time on my
first one.

But is it going to work as it should if the router have
not got QOS?

If the connection isn't hammered with heavy downloads all the time then it
should be ok for the most part.

Fine if you only got one computer connected to the system, not sure what
it would be like if you got more than one, which is being used at the
same time.
Old August 17th 05, 01:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

The Zoom X5V VoIP modem / router isn't too expensive ~£90 (so long that you
don't need to add wifi).
I have no personal experience with it, but can vouch for Draytek Vigor
2600VG and Zyxel 2602HWL.
Regards,
Martin