VoIP on Telewest 512 broadband

Old August 18th 05, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Default VoIP on Telewest 512 broadband

How well does VoIP operate on TW broadband 512?
Also...How easy is it to do browsing and be on the phone at the same
time?

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old August 18th 05, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Brian A" wrote in message

How well does VoIP operate on TW broadband 512?
Also...How easy is it to do browsing and be on the phone
at the same time?

Shouldn't be a problem. 512 is fast enough for a single PC and a phone
call, although if you anticipate several PC's and more than one
simultaneous call it will probably struggle. Remember a single VoIP call
on the highest quality codec will take approx. 80-90k in *both*
directions, watch your uplink speed.

Do you intend to use a PC with a softphone such as X-Lite or an adaptor to
plug in a normal phone..? The latter, while initially expensive as you
have to buy it (although some providers give you one when you open an
account, but it may be locked to them, which is limiting for some) but the
quality of audio is far better.

Do you have a provider or equipment in mind..?

Hope this helps,

Ivor

Old August 18th 05, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
stephen

wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:05:45 +0100, Brian A
wrote:

How well does VoIP operate on TW broadband 512?
Also...How easy is it to do browsing and be on the phone at the same
time?

We had problems with a 2Mb connection fromTW regarding voip so I think
you will be struggling with a 512 now on a 2Mb ADSL connection no
problems at all. On the other hand TW broadband is fine for general
use and about the only thing that is good and worth the money from
Telewest .

may be the uplink speed - NTL cable only has 128 Kbps uplink (not sure about
Telewest, but AFAIK the spec is v similar), whereas ADSL gives you 256 Kbps.

--
Regards

Old August 18th 05, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
sean

wrote:

How well does VoIP operate on TW broadband 512?
Also...How easy is it to do browsing and be on the phone at the same
time?

We had problems with a 2Mb connection fromTW regarding voip so I think
you will be struggling with a 512 now on a 2Mb ADSL connection no
problems at all. On the other hand TW broadband is fine for general
use and about the only thing that is good and worth the money from
Telewest .

may be the uplink speed - NTL cable only has 128 Kbps uplink (not sure about
Telewest, but AFAIK the spec is v similar), whereas ADSL gives you 256 Kbps.

Yes, Telewest is 128 up on 512 down
Old August 18th 05, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Brian A" wrote in message
How well does VoIP operate on TW broadband 512?
Also...How easy is it to do browsing and be on the phone at the same
time?

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

From September (or soon after), your speed will be increased to 2Mb down,
256k up

See here www.blueyonder.co.uk/evenfaster

Old August 18th 05, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steven Sumpter

stephen wrote:

may be the uplink speed - NTL cable only has 128 Kbps uplink (not sure about
Telewest, but AFAIK the spec is v similar), whereas ADSL gives you 256 Kbps.

NTL standard cable is now 2Mb down, 256Kb up. It has made a slight
improvement to the reliability of my calls when someone else is using
the connection at the same time.

Steve.
Old August 18th 05, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Dave Gill

Brian A wrote:

How well does VoIP operate on TW broadband 512?
Also...How easy is it to do browsing and be on the phone at the same
time?

I'm using VoIP on a TW 512 connection; it works, but not brilliantly.

I have a Sipura 2100 router/ATA so at least I can get some sort of QoS
when someone is browsing at the same time as someone else is using the
phone, but a 128 uplink doesn't really cut it with G711, so I'm using
G729 which is more mobile-quality than landline-quality. :-/

I must say I'm looking forward to the 256 uplink upgrade...