Routers as opposed to ATAs

Old August 20th 05, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Hodgson

Default Routers as opposed to ATAs

Hi all,

I am thinking of going with a VOIP service to use as an extra line,
for cheaper phone calls. This is primarily for when my sister calls
friends in the UK for longer periods, tying up the regular phone line.

There are two possible ways to do this: Get an ATA, give it an IP
address on the LAN (using a public address). Or, I could get a router
with VOIP capability, and it can use the IP of the router to make the
calls. Also, I have seen some routers give automatic prioritisation
to VOIP calls, whereas if it was on the LAN side, I would have to
manually set this up through the firebrick.

Any suggestions? Am I better off sticking with BT 6p a minute option
for evening calls that last for a lengthy period?

Thanks.
Andrew.
My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.
Old August 20th 05, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Andrew Hodgson" wrote in message

Hi all,

I am thinking of going with a VOIP service to use as an
extra line, for cheaper phone calls. This is primarily
for when my sister calls friends in the UK for longer
periods, tying up the regular phone line.

There are two possible ways to do this: Get an ATA, give
it an IP address on the LAN (using a public address).
Or, I could get a router with VOIP capability, and it can
use the IP of the router to make the calls. Also, I have
seen some routers give automatic prioritisation to VOIP
calls, whereas if it was on the LAN side, I would have to
manually set this up through the firebrick.

Any suggestions? Am I better off sticking with BT 6p a
minute option for evening calls that last for a lengthy
period?

Thanks.
Andrew.

If you're looking for a recommendation for a specific unit, the only one I
have personal experience of is the AVM Fritz!Box Fon which is an "all in
one" box containing an ADSL modem, an ATA (single Ethernet port so you'd
need a switch or hub to connect multiple computers, although it does also
have a USB port) and two analogue phone ports.

Each of the phone ports can be configured separately with different
accounts from the same or different providers and each of the two phones
connected can be made to ring for calls on either or both numbers. You can
ring between them as well as a sort of mini-PBX.

There is also a PSTN phone port which can be connected to either an
ordinary analogue BT line (the phone port of the ADSL splitter) or an ISDN
line. This will provide fallback if the VoIP system isn't working for some
reason, or you can use it to set up dialling rules so that calls to
mobiles or 0870 numbers go via BT, as a lot of VoIP providers charge more
than BT for calls to these numbers.

It does have QoS to give priority to VoIP calls as well, which needs no
setting up.

More info at www.avm.de/en if you want to have a look

Ivor

PS to Dex and Stefan no I don't have any connection with the company, even
though they are German..!

Old August 20th 05, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PC999

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

[...]

i wasnt even going to make that suggestion ivor lovey

Old August 20th 05, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:01:21 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

[snip]

PS to Dex and Stefan no I don't have any connection
with the company, even though they are German..!

Well you do go on about this "AVM Fritz!Box Fon" also
Ivor so we can put it down to just another of your
obsessions then Ivor .

If by "going on" about it you mean recommending it, then you're right, I
do, I think it's a great piece of kit. Obsession..? I wouldn't go that
far.

Ivor

Old August 20th 05, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PC999

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

wrote in message

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:01:21 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

[snip]

PS to Dex and Stefan no I don't have any connection
with the company, even though they are German..!

Well you do go on about this "AVM Fritz!Box Fon" also
Ivor so we can put it down to just another of your
obsessions then Ivor .

If by "going on" about it you mean recommending it, then you're right, I
do, I think it's a great piece of kit. Obsession..? I wouldn't go that
far.

Ivor

sipgate is your obsession ivor lovey

Old August 20th 05, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rupert

"Sean" wrote::

Think he means firewall

http://www.firebrick.co.uk/

Old August 20th 05, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 20.08.2005, Andrew Hodgson wrote:

Hi all,

I am thinking of going with a VOIP service to use as an extra line,
for cheaper phone calls. This is primarily for when my sister calls
friends in the UK for longer periods, tying up the regular phone line.

Having an extra phone line cannot be a bad move. Don't forget it can
also have its own incoming number which family members can give out to
their friends.

How much cheaper outgoing calls will be is dependent on the VOIP service
chosen. Posts in this newsgroup or a Google search will allow you to
compare different offerings from various UK providers.

There are two possible ways to do this: Get an ATA, give it an IP
address on the LAN (using a public address). Or, I could get a router
with VOIP capability, and it can use the IP of the router to make the
calls. Also, I have seen some routers give automatic prioritisation
to VOIP calls, whereas if it was on the LAN side, I would have to
manually set this up through the firebrick.

A third way: software plus microphone and headphones.

If you already have a router I think I would go for an ATA plus a cheap
cordless phone. Having no experience of routers with Voip ports
someone else will have to advise you on whether these have any distinct
advantages over my suggestion. In particular, I do wonder how effective
the QoS capabilities are.

Any suggestions? Am I better off sticking with BT 6p a minute option
for evening calls that last for a lengthy period?

Estimate the capital cost of equipment, the price of UK VOIP calls and
how much is saved on renting another BT line. Factor in the importance
and convenience of a second phone line to your family.

Brian.