WIFI SIP phones

Old August 20th 05, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger

Default WIFI SIP phones

Does anyone use one of these? Is the quality any worse than with a DECT and
ATA (which I currently have). Also where's the best place to get one at a
good price?
Thanks
Roger.

Old August 20th 05, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

"Roger" wrote in message
Does anyone use one of these? Is the quality any worse than with a DECT
and ATA (which I currently have). Also where's the best place to get one
at a good price?
Thanks
Roger.

I sell SIP phones and looking at some for possible resale. I have to say I
was pretty impressed by the sound quality, had mine hooked
up to voiptalk / gossiptel and sound quaility was very good at my end, no
extra latency or break up in sound. only downside is battery life
with people used to x amount of standby days on mobiles and dects the wifi
phone needed much more recharging.

I can't not really see the benefit unless you have maybe a large office with
multiple access point to roam around, You can not typically
use them incommerical hotspots as there is way of logging in like you do
with with a laptop

Old August 21st 05, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

"RH" wrote in message
"Roger" wrote in message
[...]

Don't the NG cops work on Sunday? Come on, the above IS advertising yet
nothing is said. You're happy to knock those who are willing to help and
advise though.

My input, forget WiFi SIP phones. More trouble than they're worth, very
expensive for what they are and very difficult to set up.

Old August 21st 05, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger

My input, forget WiFi SIP phones. More trouble than they're worth, very
expensive for what they are and very difficult to set up.

its more from a practical point of view - I need another line and the phone
wont be next to the router so I cant just plug in another ATA/phone.

Old August 21st 05, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

"Roger" wrote in message

My input, forget WiFi SIP phones. More trouble than they're worth, very
expensive for what they are and very difficult to set up.

its more from a practical point of view - I need another line and the

phone
wont be next to the router so I cant just plug in another ATA/phone.

????? Your using a DECT, then stick with what you know. Another Dect unit
isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg whereas a WiFi phone will.

Old August 21st 05, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger

????? Your using a DECT, then stick with what you know. Another Dect unit
isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg whereas a WiFi phone will.

Yes but how do I connect a DECT to a router thats not local to the DECT base
station? If I've got to buy an ATA, a wireless ethernet adapter(to connect
the DECT to the router) and a new DECT phone the cost is going to be up
there or more than a WIFI SIP phone hence the original question.

Old August 21st 05, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Watson

Roger wrote:
Does anyone use one of these? Is the quality any worse than with a DECT and
ATA (which I currently have). Also where's the best place to get one at a
good price?
Thanks
Roger.

I'm waiting to see what the Solwise VOIP DECT phone is like before I
commit to buying an ATA. WiFi seems a bit of overkill for a cordless
VOIP phone!

Peter
Old August 21st 05, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger

"Peter Watson" wrote in message
Roger wrote:
Does anyone use one of these? Is the quality any worse than with a DECT
and ATA (which I currently have). Also where's the best place to get one
at a good price?
Thanks
Roger.

I'm waiting to see what the Solwise VOIP DECT phone is like before I
commit to buying an ATA. WiFi seems a bit of overkill for a cordless VOIP
phone!

Peter

from the picture on the website it looks like this is a combined dect/ata
base station but crucially the handset charger is separate - can anyone
confirm this? If this is the case it will do what I need i.e. be able to
keep the phone away from the router.

Old August 21st 05, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:25:23 +0100, "Roger"
wrote:

Yes but how do I connect a DECT to a router thats not local to the DECT
base
station?

at risk of sounding silly, why not move the base station close to the
router ?

I can't remember where one of my DECT base stations is, its upstairs
somewhere and the handsets are charged on separate charger bases
downstairs.

Unless WiFi phones address their battery life so they run for several
days like DECT phones I think the latter is more practical.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)

because then I've got to buy a new DECT phone, a new ATA and a new charger -
why have 3 bits of kit if one will do? (cost is an obvious answer to that
;-) )

Old August 21st 05, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 21:01:21 +0100, "Roger"
wrote:

because then I've got to buy a new DECT phone, a new ATA and a new charger -
why have 3 bits of kit if one will do? (cost is an obvious answer to that
;-) )

the DECT phone including charger and an ATA would probably come in
well short of the price of a WiFi phone.

the WiFi phone would need a charger too :-)

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)