Master Socket Wiring

Old August 20th 05, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
matthew

Default Master Socket Wiring

Hi,

All the extension sockets in our house, are wired via the master socket
in the office.

There are 3 wires - green, red and black connected to the connectore
strip on the back of the removable (lower half) of the master socket
front plate.

Last time the engineers cam out they said that if there was ever any
problems with the line, pull these 3 wires out and it will allow me to
see of the fault is with the extensions.

I'd like to be able to connect my asterisk server to these extensions,
and not have them ring at all when the bt line is called.

What I planned to do was connect a standard phone cable with a moulded
plug joined to thegreen red and black cables, and connect this to the
ATA and this asterisk.

As I test, I connected the lead (matching red to red etc etc and then
put the front back on the master socket. I then connected the plug
into the socket on the front of the master socket - but there was no
dialtone at any on the extension sockets.

Can anyone point out the error of my ways and let me know what I'm
doing wrong?

Many thanks

Matthew

Old August 20th 05, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Dave

Sounds like whoever has wired the extentions up has used burglar alarm cable
for a start ...

oups.com...

Old August 20th 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On 20 Aug 2005 12:29:20 -0700, "Matthew"
wrote:

Last time the engineers cam out they said that if there was ever any
problems with the line, pull these 3 wires out and it will allow me to
see of the fault is with the extensions.

by taking the lower half off the master socket you automatically
disconnect the extensions, no need to fiddle with the wires.

It may have escaped your notice, but the detachable lower half has a
plug moulded into it that mates with the socket on the backplate, see
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm#part3

try plugging that into your ATA output, assuming you got the wiring to
work again.

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...telephone.html
may also be helpful, as the colours you describe are non-standard so
matching them up was an act of hope.

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)
Old August 20th 05, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Tiscali Tim

Matthew wrote:

[...]

I'm a bit confused as to exactly what you've done. Please clarify.

You have an NTE5 master socket, with some extension wiring kroned into the
back of the removeable faceplate, yes? Before you started, the extension
sockets all worked, and gave dial tone when you plugged phones into them,
yes?

You then did some sort of experiment - which I don't fully understand.

After doing the experiment, you re-fitted the removeable faceplate to the
NTE5, and the extension sockets no longer worked, yes?

During the experiment, did you disturb the wiring kroned into the back of
the faceplate? When you had finished, was anything still connected which had
previously not been connected, or did you put everything back to its
original state?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old August 20th 05, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
matthew

Ah looks like I haven't made it very clear.....

Everything worked at the start.

I then tried to isolate the extensions by disconnecting the krones, and
connecting the three wires to a length of phone cable with a standard
bt plug on it. ie the extensions no longer connected to the master
socket.

I put the faceplate back on, then connected the afore mentioned cable
and plug into the front socket on the faceplate, but no dialtone on the
extensions.

I then returned everything to its original state and all worked ok.

Old August 20th 05, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Mike GW8IJT

"Matthew" wrote in message
[...]

Those wire colours aren't used in proper telephone wiring.
See http://tinyurl.com/4gu1
The wirs should be blue with white, orange with white, white with orange
& white with blue.
If I were you, I would rip out that rubbish wiring and put proper stuff
in.
Use CW1308 that Maplin & others sell.
Regards Mike.

Old August 20th 05, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
matthew

Hmm - might be a bit tricky as the extension cabling run behind the
plaster work etc.

Is my theory OK - I should be able to isolate those 3 wires and then
attach a plug the end - so I in effect have 1 plug with all the house
extensions on the other end?

Thanks for all the replies

Matthew

Old August 20th 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
matthew

Cheers for that - I'll give it a try. I had seen it was moulded plug,
bit didn't think to plug it straight in to the ATA!

Old August 20th 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Tiscali Tim

Matthew wrote:

Cheers for that - I'll give it a try. I had seen it was moulded
plug, bit didn't think to plug it straight in to the ATA!

Or if it won't reach, you can use a phone extension cable between the
faceplate and the ATA.

If you want to use your original method, there's no reason why it shouldn't
work if you wire it correctly. Forget the colours of any existing wires -
it's *position* which matters. The krones on the back of the faceplate are
numbered 1-6, and 2, 3 and 5 are actually used. Get a phone cable with a BT
plug at one end and bare wires at the other end - and plug it into the
socket on the front of the faceplate, with the faceplate removed. Use a
continuity tester to find which wires are connected to each of 2, 3 and 5.
Then join each of these wires to whichever wire was originally kroned into
the appropriate connector. They almost certainly won't match colour for
colour - but it should *work*!
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old August 21st 05, 06:56 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On 20 Aug 2005 14:15:04 -0700, "Matthew"
wrote:

Is my theory OK - I should be able to isolate those 3 wires and then
attach a plug the end - so I in effect have 1 plug with all the house
extensions on the other end?

yes. Just wire it correctly !

Phil
--
Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :-)