Is it worth it ?

Old October 2nd 05, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
¬Stephen Hammond

Default Is it worth it ?

I've a BT account (NTL isn't available here) and 1899 account and 2Mbp
broadband served by a wireless router (linksys Wag54g)

Is it possible to use voip with router and turn the computer off.

Ideally www.voipcheap.co.uk looks like the only thing worthwhile is it
possible to program a internet phone to use it ?

help !!

Thanks

Stephen

Old October 2nd 05, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Davew

¬Stephen Hammond wrote:
I've a BT account (NTL isn't available here) and 1899 account and 2Mbp
broadband served by a wireless router (linksys Wag54g)

Is it possible to use voip with router and turn the computer off.

Yes, You will need a VOIP IP phone (to plug into the router) or a
ATA(FXS) adapter to plug a normal telephone handset into it.

Not currently - however it's sister company www.voipbuster.com works great!
Old October 2nd 05, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
¬Stephen Hammond

I've a BT account (NTL isn't available here) and 1899 account and 2Mbp
broadband served by a wireless router (linksys Wag54g)

Is it possible to use voip with router and turn the computer off.

Yes, You will need a VOIP IP phone (to plug into the router) or a
ATA(FXS) adapter to plug a normal telephone handset into it.

Ideally www.voipcheap.co.uk looks like the only thing worthwhile is it
possible to program a internet phone to use it ?

Not currently - however it's sister company www.voipbuster.com works
great!

OK thanks very helpful and I'm hopeful !

Where can I buy either an ATA (FXS) adaptor or a VOIP phone (to plug into
the router).

How would I set up the phone as the voipbuster website looks like it only
has software to download to a computer and no settings for a voip phone,
unless I'm mistaken which is possible

Stephen

Old October 2nd 05, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
7

¬Stephen Hammond wrote:

I've a BT account (NTL isn't available here) and 1899 account and 2Mbp
broadband served by a wireless router (linksys Wag54g)

Is it possible to use voip with router and turn the computer off.

Ideally www.voipcheap.co.uk looks like the only thing worthwhile is it
possible to program a internet phone to use it ?

The wireless router needs additional ports added with a switch or a hub.
Then you can install a PAP2 box and connect to ethernet. The PAP2 gives 2
ordinary phone lines to which you can connect plain old telephones,
or the DECT phones if you want wireless. Todate, only settings for
voipfone.co.uk mentioned in this group worked for me with PAP2.

(I would dearly like to have it working with voipbuster.com if anyone
has it working fully and wish to share the settings for PAP2.)

Old October 2nd 05, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
peter

Check out
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.te...89e853016e2661

for voipbuster set up on PAP2

Old October 2nd 05, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Davew

7 wrote:

The wireless router needs additional ports added with a switch or a hub.

It seems that the WAG54G has a 4 port switch built in, so it should be fine.
Old October 2nd 05, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Davew

¬Stephen Hammond wrote:

OK thanks very helpful and I'm hopeful !

Where can I buy either an ATA (FXS) adaptor or a VOIP phone (to plug into
the router).

I'm afraid were not allowed to help in that respect - We will get a
telling off from Ivor if you post a supplier.

However, make sure you buy an 'unlocked' version - not one locked to a
supplier. It seems they are available for around £40, i have good
things about them. I don't personally use the bit of kit but i would
recommend an ATA over a VOIP phone, as somebody else said, so you can
plug in a 'normal' phone (inc. cordless)
Old October 3rd 05, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
ras

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 22:34:40 +0100, davew
daviey.walker*SPAM*virgin.net wrote:

¬Stephen Hammond wrote:

OK thanks very helpful and I'm hopeful !

Where can I buy either an ATA (FXS) adaptor or a VOIP phone (to plug into
the router).

I'm afraid were not allowed to help in that respect - We will get a
telling off from Ivor if you post a supplier.

However, make sure you buy an 'unlocked' version - not one locked to a
supplier. It seems they are available for around £40, i have good
things about them. I don't personally use the bit of kit but i would
recommend an ATA over a VOIP phone, as somebody else said, so you can
plug in a 'normal' phone (inc. cordless)

I bought my PAP2 at www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk the unlocked version
-- ras
Old October 4th 05, 05:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
7

peter wrote:

Check out
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.te...wse_frm/thread

d95bf9d41c9d730e/5d89e853016e2661#5d89e853016e2661

for voipbuster set up on PAP2

Thank you, I will try this out.