VOIP will forever stay for 'geeks' only.

Old October 2nd 05, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
OM

Default VOIP will forever stay for 'geeks' only.

VOIP will forever stay for 'geeks' only.
I'd like to know what people think about this.

I've tried getting VOIP to work.
I've been struggling a great deal.
Although obviously not a VOIP expert, but competent with computers and
software.

But... I think if to get VOIP working, it's necessary to forward ports,
adjust firewall settings, turn on UPnP and a myriad of other things...
then VOIP will forever stay ONLY for us geeks.

What's needed: something that you plugin and away you go.
Nothing else to worry about AT ALL.

I can't see this EVER being so for software because of the MUST need to
have many different firewalls, both hardware and software.
As for hardware plugins, again, I think there will always be a certain
level of customisation needed.

Does Skype have any advantage for being literally plug and play?
(As I understand it, they have gone against the grain and don't follow
the SIP protocol??)
(Also, never used Skype myself yet.)

Bottom line: big telecom companies will continue to rule.

I'd like to hear what other think.

OM

Old October 2nd 05, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"OM" wrote in message
oups.com
VOIP will forever stay for 'geeks' only.
I'd like to know what people think about this.

I think I'm the last person you'd call a geek ;-)

I've tried getting VOIP to work.
I've been struggling a great deal.
Although obviously not a VOIP expert, but competent with
computers and software.

But... I think if to get VOIP working, it's necessary to
forward ports, adjust firewall settings, turn on UPnP and
a myriad of other things... then VOIP will forever stay
ONLY for us geeks.

Due to the very nature of VoIP there will always be a certain level of
customisation required. Unlike a normal BT phone line, for example, where
all the equipment except the phone itself (which theoretically at least is
type approved and just plugs in) is owned or operated by the provider,
VoIP has a much larger proportion of the equipment on the customer's
premises. No two customers are alike, so the equipment is of necessity
going to be different.

This means that no two people's problems are the same; a complaint of no
dial tone, one way audio and the other usual problems can be down to
different things each time. Sometimes it will be a network problem but
more often than not it's a configuration problem on the user's equipment.

What's needed: something that you plugin and away you go.
Nothing else to worry about AT ALL.

I can't see this EVER being so for software because of
the MUST need to have many different firewalls, both
hardware and software.
As for hardware plugins, again, I think there will always
be a certain level of customisation needed.

Indeed, although there are some devices that come close, due to the simple
fact that everybody is different, it's unlikely ever to be 100% plug and
play.

Does Skype have any advantage for being literally plug
and play? (As I understand it, they have gone against the
grain and don't follow the SIP protocol??)
(Also, never used Skype myself yet.)

I think Skype in its present form is as close as you're going to get to
true plug & play, although the requirement to have a computer on all the
time is a big negative point for many people. Skype themselves say that
their service is not intended as a replacement for a standard phone.

Bottom line: big telecom companies will continue to rule.

I'd like to hear what other think.

The one that has most of the line plant will always be the biggest, all
those copper pairs are a big advantage..!

Ivor

Old October 3rd 05, 08:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Doz

"Tone" wrote in message
On 2 Oct 2005 15:13:04 -0700, "OM" wrote:

VOIP will forever stay for 'geeks' only.
I'd like to know what people think about this.

Im afraid I have to agree with you
Untill there is a foolproof way of simply plugging a Modem/Router into
your BT socket and getting 100% reliable telephone calls. your average
George & Mildred wont use it.

No good for me I have a cable connection... see the problems ?

Its like back in the days of CB when certain car companies were
spouting ******** about their cars coming with CB built in so everyone
could communicate.

--

Just livin the Vida Sofa

Old October 3rd 05, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lansbury

On 2 Oct 2005 15:13:04 -0700, "OM" wrote:

VOIP will forever stay for 'geeks' only.
I'd like to know what people think about this.

I'm not a geek and I got it working ok without any hassle, just some
adjustment of settings.

However latter I changed my VoIP service to www.iconnecthere.com and they
supplied an ATA which came ready configured and just need plugging in and a
telephone connected to it. For those who don't wish to have any hands on this
"solution in a box" is ideal, and several VoIP companies go down that route.
So VoIP shouldn't be for geeks only by any means.
-
Lansbury
www.uk-air.net
FAQs for the alt.travel.uk.air newsgroup
Old October 3rd 05, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JPG

On 2 Oct 2005 15:13:04 -0700, "OM" wrote:

VOIP will forever stay for 'geeks' only.
I'd like to know what people think about this.

I agree, there's just too much farting about with settings and so on. Even to
get X-Lite to work with Sipgate is a pain the arse, and I had to do it for each
user on XP, what a ballsache! I want flexible voicemeail originating at my PC
so the outgoing message can change according to the time of day. Somebody
suggested using Asterisk but just one look at their web page is like straying
into a nerd-fest.

As long as BT has most broadband users by the balls and insist on charging line
rental on top of the ADSL fee, VOIP is likely to remain the preserve of the
tech-heads.

Skype probably have it right - nice and simple - just the job for people with
relatives abroad etc.

JPG

Old October 3rd 05, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lansbury

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 09:37:06 +0100, Tone wrote:

But, for your average George & Mildred it wont be worth it when they
can get cheaper calls with people like 1899

At the moment. But the questioned used the term "forever" and I think the
technology will move on and will become cheaper than services at present
available. 1899, I read somewhere, in fact route their calls over the Internet
a fair bit of the time so in fact people are already using VoIP without
needing the equipment in the home.
-
Old October 3rd 05, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Interesting Ian

"OM" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I entirely agree with that. I have used skype, but only to others who have
skype installed, not to a landline. It was just install and away you go,
but I don't know if it's more difficult to telephone landlines.

Old October 3rd 05, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Interesting Ian

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

I think Skype in its present form is as close as you're going to get to
true plug & play, although the requirement to have a computer on all the
time is a big negative point for many people. Skype themselves say that
their service is not intended as a replacement for a standard phone.

Why can't it be a replacement? I have my computer on all the time anyway.