Incoming Caller ID not working

Old October 3rd 05, 08:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Debbie Wilson

Default Incoming Caller ID not working

Hi - I'm a bit of a VoIP newbie so please forgive me if this is a bit
confusing. I have a problem in that incoming caller ID for landline and
mobile calls does not work with my newly-setup VoIP service. They just
show up as 'Out of Area'. (I haven't tried any incoming VoIP calls as I
don't know anyone else using it!)

The configuration/equipment is as follows:
- Thomson Speedtouch 716WL VoIP router
- PlusTalk Anytime service from my ISP PlusNet
- Caller ID is enabled on my BT line
- CLIP is enabled on the router's 'telephony service' menu

I am using a normal DECT handset with the basestation plugged into the
Phone 1 port on the router. The router has a DSL connection and a
separate PSTN connection to an XF-1e ADSL filter which I specifically
got to allow caller display to work (it has been working fine
previously). The filter then plugs into the BT wall socket as per
normal. The call quality is good both incoming and outgoing, it's just
that incoming caller ID is not working as it should. It's very important
to me as I'm a freelance illustrator and really want to know who's
ringing to hassle me about deadlines, before answering ;-)

Can anyone help at all? Thanks very much -

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old October 3rd 05, 11:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
LJ

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 08:28:24 +0100, Debbie Wilson wrote:

Hi - I'm a bit of a VoIP newbie so please forgive me if this is a bit
confusing. I have a problem in that incoming caller ID for landline and
mobile calls does not work with my newly-setup VoIP service. They just
show up as 'Out of Area'. (I haven't tried any incoming VoIP calls as I
don't know anyone else using it!)

I've got exactly the same issue with a new ZyXEL 2602HWL-61C. CLI for VoIP
calls shows up fine on the DECT phone I've got plugged in. CLI is
definitely on the BT line because it comes up on a standalone CLID I've got
connected between ADSL filter and router, but doesn't show up on the DECT
phone. (I've tried it without the standalone CLID just on case that was
affecting it, but no change). I've emailed ZyXEL support about it this
morning...

Maybe you could plug in a standalone CLID temporarily?

LJ
Old October 3rd 05, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
sean

LJ wrote:
[...]

Sadly it is not likely it will ever work. I've used BT VoIP boxes, with
PSTN connectivity, and they work with a relay. They are on VoIP all the
time, unless there is a power cut, or the user presses a key which has
been assigned. When a incoming call comes through on a BT line the CLI
is sent before the ring voltage, the relay does not switch over until
the ring is sent. So if your using a cable line (with american CLI) it
will work, because the phone rings, the relay clicks over, the CLI goes
thru, the phone rings again. I don't know if what i am blabbering on
about will help anyone, but BT CLI is not good with VoIP to PSTN
connectivity. Best to use an additional telephone
Old October 3rd 05, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Debbie Wilson

LJ wrote:

I've got exactly the same issue with a new ZyXEL 2602HWL-61C. CLI for VoIP
calls shows up fine on the DECT phone I've got plugged in. CLI is
definitely on the BT line because it comes up on a standalone CLID I've got
connected between ADSL filter and router, but doesn't show up on the DECT
phone. (I've tried it without the standalone CLID just on case that was
affecting it, but no change). I've emailed ZyXEL support about it this
morning...

Same situation here. CLI definitely working, and if I plug the DECT
phone directly into the filter - BT socket, it works on that. But when
plugged into the router it shows 'Out of Area'. I've emailed Speedtouch
support and also Plus Net but neither have come back so far.

Maybe you could plug in a standalone CLID temporarily?

Have just fetched my old CD30 out of the loft and connected that back
up. Even that was very temperamental, and after a lot of fiddling around
it is only working when plugged into the same microfilter as the DSL
line into the router. If the router's DSL and PSTN lines share one
filter, the CD30 won't work on another one on its own. Bizarre. I now
have it sitting next to the DECT phone so at least there is some kind of
ID, though not as good as having the address book display on the DECT.

Thanks for your help -

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old October 3rd 05, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Debbie Wilson

Brian wrote:

I assume you get 'Out of Area' when contacting your voip phone from your
own BT line or mobile, so I suggest you contact PlusTalk as they are
responsible for passing the caller ID.

Thanks Brian, useful info there. Yes, it's 'Out of Area' when I ring the
VoIP phone from my mobile. It's odd because as this router has an
incoming PSTN line, incoming landline/mobile calls basically go from BT
line to router to DECT phone. So I am wondering if it's some fault or
seting on the router that isn't working properly? I have emailed
Speedtouch today about this... see if they reply.

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old October 3rd 05, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Debbie Wilson

Sean wrote:

Sadly it is not likely it will ever work. I've used BT VoIP boxes, with
PSTN connectivity, and they work with a relay. They are on VoIP all the
time, unless there is a power cut, or the user presses a key which has
been assigned. When a incoming call comes through on a BT line the CLI
is sent before the ring voltage, the relay does not switch over until
the ring is sent.

So the phone misses the CLI as it's whizzed through before it knows it's
got an incoming call... if the router was on PSTN by default, instead of
VoIP, it would be OK for CLI, except you'd have to probably press a
button or whatever to make a VoIP call. I think I sort of understand :-)
If so then it's not going be be solvable, as you say. Guess I'll have to
stick with the CD30 for now.

Thanks Sean -

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old October 3rd 05, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
LJ

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:48:29 +0100, Sean wrote:

Sadly it is not likely it will ever work. I've used BT VoIP boxes, with
PSTN connectivity, and they work with a relay. They are on VoIP all the
time, unless there is a power cut, or the user presses a key which has
been assigned. When a incoming call comes through on a BT line the CLI
is sent before the ring voltage, the relay does not switch over until
the ring is sent. So if your using a cable line (with american CLI) it
will work, because the phone rings, the relay clicks over, the CLI goes
thru, the phone rings again.

That makes sense. Surely it would make more sense to have the relay set to
the PSTN line until a VoIP call comes in - that way the BT pre-ring CLI
would get through... I guess the problem is that that would make it more
complicated when the phone goes off hook to make a call - the router would
have to quickly disconnect from the PSTN to stop the call going that way.

I don't know if what i am blabbering on
about will help anyone, but BT CLI is not good with VoIP to PSTN
connectivity. Best to use an additional telephone

Heh, true but the idea was to route it all by a nice DECT phone rather than
have two handsets! ...and anyway it says here on the router box:
"Telephony Features: Caller ID" !

LJ
Old October 3rd 05, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
LJ

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 13:07:06 +0100, Debbie Wilson wrote:

Have just fetched my old CD30 out of the loft and connected that back
up.

Thanks for your help -

No problem - guess it's better than nothing while we wait for the various
support departments to come back to us. Doesn't sound promising based on
what Sean posted though :/

LJ
Old October 3rd 05, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
sean

LJ wrote:

Heh, true but the idea was to route it all by a nice DECT phone rather than
have two handsets! ...and anyway it says here on the router box:
"Telephony Features: Caller ID" !

LJ

Yeah, i've tried this, but telephone calls are like buses, non for ages,
then loads at once. So i would miss calls if i used one handset for 2
lines. Also it's useful to be able to make more than one call at a time
Old October 3rd 05, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Debbie Wilson

LJ wrote:

Heh, true but the idea was to route it all by a nice DECT phone rather than
have two handsets! ...and anyway it says here on the router box:
"Telephony Features: Caller ID" !

My CD30 has now stopped displaying any information too - seems to be
totally random, whatever combination of plugging-in of equipment,
whether it works or not! It is going straight into the ADSL filter to
the BT socket, and shows nothing, and the DECT phone happily telling me
'Out of Area'.... arghh!!

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com