Telex over IP.

Old October 3rd 05, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian Auer-Hudson

Default Telex over IP.

Hi y'all,

Does anyone here have any knowledge of Telex over IP? Does anyone
provide this service? What is the cost? Are Telex numbers available?

Thanks

Adrian.

Old October 6th 05, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stickems.

Telex is no more, it ceased years ago.

oups.com...

Old October 6th 05, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian Auer-Hudson

Stickems wrote:

"Telex is no more, it ceased years ago."

Thanks. Is this just in the UK, or, worldwide?

Adrian.

Old October 6th 05, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tim Clark

In article ws.net,
"Stickems." writes:
"Adrian Auer-Hudson" wrote in message
oups.com...

Does anyone here have any knowledge of Telex over IP? Does anyone
provide this service? What is the cost? Are Telex numbers available?

Telex is no more, it ceased years ago.

Telex has not yet ceased. While it has largely been superseded by fax
and email, it certainly does still exist. Prices for its supply and for
calls are still very much part of the current BT Price List (section 8).
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/c...boo/sectoc.htm

It is certainly very little used in the UK now. There are parts of the
world where it hasn't died down quite as much as in the UK. The latest
list of UK embasssies, consulates, etc. abroad, published by the FCO
this summer, gives telex numbers for its establishments in a few countries.
http://www.fco.gov.uk/Files/kfile/Ov...ulyAug2005.pdf

On the subject of "Telex over IP" it is more perhaps meaningful to talk
of a gateway between the Internet and the Telex network. Since the
Internet is very good at passing streams of encoded characters - which
is after all what Telex is - there is not much involved. The Internet
protocol Telnet, for example, is trivial to interface to telex. A more
useful gateway is one between email and the telex network, enabling one
to effectively send an email to a remote telex machine. The main issue
in both cases is in adding appropriate authorisation and accounting,
since the telex network is not cheap to use, so no one is likely to
provide a free gateway onto the telex network as a whole.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any gateways still in operation in either
of these areas. I did make use of the BT service the "TNA" which acted
as a gateway between their X.25 network (PSS) and the telex network, and
I think I even used it via an Internet to PSS gateway, essentially then
providing a Telnet to telex gateway.

Gateways between the Internet and Telex network have no doubt withered
away as fast as telex machines themselves, but I'm sure some will remain
in operation for those determined enough to hunt them down. Although I
tried a few quick Google searches, nothing useful appeared.

--
Tim Clark
Old October 7th 05, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stickems.

I'm not convinced that Telex still exists. Couldn't the telex numbers shewn,
in the list that you refer to, be there because no one has updated these
entries? Why would anyone want to use Telex?

Old October 7th 05, 03:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Stickems." wrote in message
eenews.net
I'm not convinced that Telex still exists. Couldn't the
telex numbers shewn, in the list that you refer to, be
there because no one has updated these entries? Why would
anyone want to use Telex?

Because it can be classed as a legally binding document, something no
other means of electronic communication can.

Which is why it is still used by legal firms.

Ivor

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old October 7th 05, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stickems.

Fax and emails are both legally binding documents and so are telephone
calls.

Old October 7th 05, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Stickems." wrote in message
eenews.net
Fax and emails are both legally binding documents and so
are telephone calls.

Cite examples. They cannot be, because there is no way to prove they have
not been forged.

Please don't top post.

Ivor

Old October 7th 05, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 15:20:17 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Cite examples. They cannot be, because there is no way to prove they have
not been forged.

same applies to telex. Its only a bit of paper coming out of a
printer, no great challenge to simulate that.

Emails used in evidence :-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4315896.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3485072.stm

didn't see anyone saying "oh that wasn't me it was just a forgery"

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old October 7th 05, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Haslam

"Stickems." wrote in message
eenews.net...
I'm not convinced that Telex still exists. Couldn't the telex numbers
shewn,
in the list that you refer to, be there because no one has updated these
entries? Why would anyone want to use Telex?

Telex is still heavily used in the International Ship Owning/Broking market.
I work for a Ship Broking company and know that our company, just in London,
have around 5 Telex numbers, I can't remember how many of the overseas
offices have them and we still have Telex lines coming into the office.

Most companies have moved over to Email/fax but there are some who are in
the dark ages still want to use Telex.

Paul