Speedtouch 716g

Old October 4th 05, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Telephoneman

Default Speedtouch 716g

I'm an old school telephone person just getting into voip and I have a
couple of questions;

I have bought a speedtouch 716g which is a modem/router/switch/ata. It has 4
RJ45 lan ports, 2 analogue phone ports and has wi-fi capabilities. It will
act as a DHCP server, issuing addresses .1 to .253. So theoretically, could
I have 2 analogue phones, 4 voip phones (RJ45) and 247 wi-fi voip phones? Or
does the "Switch" function put a restriction on the overall number of
connections? Yes, I know I'd need a lot of bandwidth - I'm not intending to
do it, just to understand how it all works.

My next question - I believe that the 716g provides QoS for the analogue
phones, but what about the ethernet/wi-fi phones? or is this driven by the
phones themselves?

Hope this makes sense and someone can help.

Liam

Old October 4th 05, 04:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Anon Y Mous

Telephoneman wrote:
I'm an old school telephone person just getting into voip and I have a
couple of questions;

I have bought a speedtouch 716g which is a modem/router/switch/ata. It has 4
RJ45 lan ports, 2 analogue phone ports and has wi-fi capabilities. It will
act as a DHCP server, issuing addresses .1 to .253. So theoretically, could
I have 2 analogue phones, 4 voip phones (RJ45) and 247 wi-fi voip phones? Or
does the "Switch" function put a restriction on the overall number of
connections? Yes, I know I'd need a lot of bandwidth - I'm not intending to
do it, just to understand how it all works.

My next question - I believe that the 716g provides QoS for the analogue
phones, but what about the ethernet/wi-fi phones? or is this driven by the
phones themselves?

Hope this makes sense and someone can help.

Liam

I'm sure help will follow shortly, in the mean time I hope you have a
716g V5 as previous versions had a huge amount of problems as a quick
search will reveal.
Old October 4th 05, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Me

I'm sure help will follow shortly, in the mean time I hope you have a
716g V5 as previous versions had a huge amount of problems as a quick
search will reveal.

I know of 3 people with the original 716g and none of them have had
any problems at all.

On the other hand, I have heard that the V5 is the one that has
problems and may be replaced by the V6

Me
Old October 5th 05, 02:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Well, yes in theory you could have 255 VoIP connections, all of the phones
could be analog ones connected via ATA's. You could also connect similar
number of WiFi VoIP phones.
In practice you won't be able to set up port forwarding and registrars for
all of the phones to use them as separate lines. There are VoIP PBX systems
for that.

I am not familiar with the 716g, but on other routers that have QoS facility
you can set separate priorities for different kind of packets, not just
voice. This will work for all the ports.
Regards,
Martin

Old October 5th 05, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Telephoneman

"Martin²" wrote in message
SNIP.

In practice you won't be able to set up port forwarding and registrars for
all of the phones to use them as separate lines. There are VoIP PBX
systems systems for that.

Can you elaborate? Where I'm coming from is that some ISPs are offering
"virtual PBX (centrex)" services and I'm trying to understand how far you
could go with vPBX and a router before you need a hardware PBX.

Regards,

Liam

Old October 6th 05, 01:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Liam:
Can you elaborate? Where I'm coming from is that some ISPs are offering
"virtual PBX (centrex)" services and I'm trying to understand how far you
could go with vPBX and a router before you need a hardware PBX.

As far as I know std. VoIP routers and ATA's have limits to how many ports
can be forwarded and generally let you set up one or two registrars. One of
the Sipura ATA's can be expanded to handle four VoIP lines. Beyond that you
will need to look at Cisco and other 'enterprise wide VoIP' providers.
Alternatively you could set up an Asterisk software on a Linux server and
equip it with FXS / FXO ports, but I am no expert on this.
You may get more info on comp.dcom.voice-over-ip usenet group where some
providers post their stuff.
Regards,
Martin