Sipgate - I can't add credit to my account!

Old October 6th 05, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter X

Default Sipgate - I can't add credit to my account!

Hi all,

First time I've tried to credit my Sipgate account, so _maybe_ I'm doing
something wrong. I bunged in my Visa Debit Card number (note: *not* a
credit card), the CVC number, etc. I left the "security code" box
empty.... because I couldn't find out what it was for!

I clicked next and it just said it couldn't credit my account and to
contact support for further information.

But I can't see how to contact support.

Not massively impressed right at the minute! (that said, I'm not
interesting in hearing from the sipgate-trolls either :P )

--
Cheers,

Peter.
Old October 6th 05, 06:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Just to the right of the security box on
https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/kontoaufladen.php are the following
words:

"Before you can credit your account for the first time you'll have to
call the sipgate number 10200 from your sipgate account and enter the
provided security code".

HTH,
Stuart

Old October 6th 05, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter X

wrote:
Just to the right of the security box on
https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/kontoaufladen.php are the following
words:

"Before you can credit your account for the first time you'll have to
call the sipgate number 10200 from your sipgate account and enter the
provided security code".

Cheers!! :-)
I must be blind not seeing that. And I've no excuse, because I do recall
reading something about needing to do that on this group a few weeks
back. [/me slaps self around the head]

Anyway, I did that, and promptly got an error!

"
Error!

An error has occurred. Please send an email to support with the error
code \"902\" and your Sip-ID \"XXXXXXX\" to Support.
"

(I've X'ed out my Sip-ID). So I've emailed support..... the last word in
the message, "Support", was meant to be a mailto: link, but it was broken!

So, without wishing to feed the trolls, Sipgate does appear to be a
little rough around the edges.

I'll post back on this thread whatever the results are when I get a
response. Most likely they'll just ask me to try it again.

--
Peter.
Old October 6th 05, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Peter,

I thought I might try and replicate your problem. I called 10200 and
got a 4 digit number. Entered it and got "error". Called again, got
another 4 digit number and again error. Tried a third time with a third
number and it worked!

So Peter - you have cost me a tenner ... but persistance may bring
reward. I was using a proper CC. Debit cards are not quite as
international (remember we are dealing with deutchland) so that may be
a complicating factor.

Best wishes,
Stuart

Old October 7th 05, 01:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
oups.com
Peter,

I thought I might try and replicate your problem. I
called 10200 and got a 4 digit number. Entered it and got
"error". Called again, got another 4 digit number and
again error. Tried a third time with a third number and
it worked!

So Peter - you have cost me a tenner ... but persistance
may bring reward. I was using a proper CC. Debit cards
are not quite as international (remember we are dealing
with deutchland) so that may be a complicating factor.

It shouldn't be, I can't see any reason why a debit card shouldn't appear
to online systems exactly as a credit card does. I've never once had a
debit card refused on any online transaction, be it Sipgate or anyone
else. In fact I've *never* used my CC online.

Ivor

Old October 7th 05, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 01:10:27 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

It shouldn't be, I can't see any reason why a debit card shouldn't appear
to online systems exactly as a credit card does.

because its a debit card, so it has less functionality (car rental
deposits come to mind) and is flagged up as a debit card. You'll see
separate entry boxes on most online forms for debit cards.

If its a Visa branded (delta) card then it'll probably be OK, but
does Switch or Maestro exist in Germany ?

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old October 7th 05, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Phil Thompson" wrote in
message
wrote:

It shouldn't be, I can't see any reason why a debit
card shouldn't appear to online systems exactly as a
credit card does.

because its a debit card, so it has less functionality
(car rental deposits come to mind) and is flagged up as a
debit card. You'll see separate entry boxes on most
online forms for debit cards.

Not on any I've filled in (Amazon, Ebay, etc.)

If its a Visa branded (delta) card then it'll probably be
OK, but does Switch or Maestro exist in Germany ?

It should still be accepted. Only in the USA have I ever come across a
credit card being accepted but not a debit card, and that was only when
hiring a car.

Ivor

Old October 7th 05, 12:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 10:28:07 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

It should still be accepted.

why ? its the retailers choice what cards to accept.

Plenty of web forms differentiate debit and credit cards - asking for
Issue numbers and Start dates, for example.

Maestro is part of mastercard and appears to be known in Germany
anyway.

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old October 7th 05, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Phil Thompson" wrote in
message
wrote:

It should still be accepted.

why ? its the retailers choice what cards to accept.

Plenty of web forms differentiate debit and credit cards
- asking for Issue numbers and Start dates, for example.

Hmm, I didn't see that as differentiating, but you could be right. Nobody
has ever refused a debit card from me though, except as I said when hiring
a car in the US, but that was in person not online.

Maestro is part of mastercard and appears to be known in
Germany anyway.

My debit card is a Visa one.

Ivor