Vonage or Sipgate or Freetalk

Old October 8th 05, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
SidKnee

Default Vonage or Sipgate or Freetalk

I am looking for a service to replace my NTL phoneline.

However, I would like to ensure that theservice is SIP compatible and can
beused with FWD simulataneously asIuse FWD actively.

Can anyone offer advice?

Sidkney

Old October 8th 05, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"SidKnee" wrote in
message
I am looking for a service to replace my NTL phoneline.

However, I would like to ensure that theservice is SIP
compatible and can beused with FWD simulataneously asIuse
FWD actively.
Can anyone offer advice?

Sidkney

Can you explain what you mean by use with FWD simultaneously..? Sipgate
etc. are independent services like FWD, I don't understand what you mean
by use simultaneously. If you mean use both services at the same time then
yes you can but you would need an ATA with two or more independent phone
ports like the Sipura 2000.

Ivor

Old October 8th 05, 12:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 11:03:57 GMT, "SidKnee"
wrote:

I am looking for a service to replace my NTL phoneline.

However, I would like to ensure that theservice is SIP compatible and can
beused with FWD simulataneously asIuse FWD actively.

Can anyone offer advice?

Sidkney

If you want to use more than one outgoing provider then you will need
to choose your ATA carefully.
However, this all depends on whether you are able to set up the ATA.
If you feel confident to do that then I wouldn't go for any of the
providers you mentioned.
Do your outgoing calls on voipbuster (free UK calls) and use voipfone
as a main provider because it is polished and relatively reliable.
Voipfone do sell ATAs. They may be ready set to operate on their
system (check) but won't be locked(afaik).
Call charges are 1p/min if you buy in 5 blocks. 056 incoming numbers
are free but if you want a geographic it is 2/month. If you go for a
free number my advice would be to choose an 056 and NOT an 0870 number
as it is cheaper for your callers. On 18866 it is the same as a
standard landline.
The Sipura SAP-3000 ATA allows for ONE incoming/outgoing provider and
4 outgoing providers. It will also link through to your landline
phone (if you have one).
In answer, though, to your specific question. I don't think that there
will be much to choose between Vonage and Free talk - but Free talk is
cheaper to run. As far as Sipgate is concerned - well my experience is
negative. Good if you want a free geographic number - not so good if
you want reliability.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old October 8th 05, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Adamson

The Sipura SAP-3000 ATA allows for ONE incoming/outgoing provider and
4 outgoing providers. It will also link through to your landline
phone (if you have one).

I agree with you on everything. Just to be pedantic, however, the Sipura
3000 ATA supports more than 4 outgoing providers as you can actually put
providers details straight in the dial plan itself.

Mark

Old October 8th 05, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

"Brian A" wrote in message
news
Call charges are 1p/min if you buy in 5 blocks. 056 incoming numbers
are free but if you want a geographic it is 2/month. If you go for a
free number my advice would be to choose an 056 and NOT an 0870 number
as it is cheaper for your callers. On 18866 it is the same as a
standard landline.

Be wary of 056 numbers, you will not be able to receive calls from a lot
of NTL customers, because NTL have refused to enable a lot of exchanges
to accept them, and nobody seems to be able to do anything about it.

Old October 8th 05, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Westwell

I you want no nonsense plug it in and use it go for Vonage or Freetalk. Yes
you pay a monthly subscription but your local/national calls are all
inclusive as are all the features including a geographic number.

I am using Vonage at present, also have a freetalk box and both services are
very good and will continue to improve over time.

There is no emergency calls on Freetalk yet but it is coming.

Vonage support is good and free should you need it.

The freetalk box is very neat, if you cannot get this working quickly then
I'd give up with VOIP as I cannot imagine anything been much easier.

Vonage has some cleaver forwarding features. Firstly should you internet or
voange service fail then your incoming calls will be automatically diverted
to a number you predefine on the Voange web interface (possibly your
mobile). Secondly you have simuring where you can effectively forward calls
to a number of numbers that all ring together.. There are also hunt groups
if you have more then 1 Vonage line.

For approximately 30p per day I believe its value for money assuming you use
the phone in the first place!

Regards,

Paul

Old October 8th 05, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
sean

GwG wrote:
"Brian A" wrote in message
news
Call charges are 1p/min if you buy in 5 blocks. 056 incoming numbers
are free but if you want a geographic it is 2/month. If you go for a
free number my advice would be to choose an 056 and NOT an 0870 number
as it is cheaper for your callers. On 18866 it is the same as a
standard landline.

Be wary of 056 numbers, you will not be able to receive calls from a lot
of NTL customers, because NTL have refused to enable a lot of exchanges
to accept them, and nobody seems to be able to do anything about it.

If a NTL user signs up to 1899 or 18866 they will be able to call them
(Screw NTL, i'd tell them where to stick there service if they were
providing me with a not fully functional service)
Old October 8th 05, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 12:56:38 +0100, "Mark Adamson"
wrote:

The Sipura SAP-3000 ATA allows for ONE incoming/outgoing provider and
4 outgoing providers. It will also link through to your landline
phone (if you have one).

I agree with you on everything. Just to be pedantic, however, the Sipura
3000 ATA supports more than 4 outgoing providers as you can actually put
providers details straight in the dial plan itself.

Mark

That is interesting and something I haven't tried.
How do you put providers' into the dial plan?
I have a 3000 but don't use the PSTN connection - though I do have
plans to use iit as a door phone. It would make the SPA-2001, for
example, much more attractive if it were possible to have the 2
incoming providers and a larger number of outgoing providers.
So, can you please give an example of the syntax as that is part of
dial plan construction I don't know about.

Further, so far I have assumed that the speed dial facility is limited
to the main provider (e.g. 5#,6#,7# etc.). Does this technique extend
to this too?
(currently I include my speed dials in the main dial plan e.g.
#1,#2,#3 etc)

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old October 8th 05, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GwG

"Phil Thompson" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 12:13:18 GMT, "GwG"
wrote:

Be wary of 056 numbers, you will not be able to receive calls from a
lot
of NTL customers, because NTL have refused to enable a lot of
exchanges
to accept them, and nobody seems to be able to do anything about it.

based on my Usenet experiences I would see this as a massive advantage
for 056 numbers.

Not if you were running a business, and NTL users were trying to ring to
order your products ;-)

#1,#2,#3 etc)

Here's where I become a lazy bob and say read the dial plan thread on
voxilla

http://voxilla.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-619.html

Seriously, it has 15 pages, but if you set an afternoon for reading it you
will feel like a dial plan expert! and you will even see my own issues on it
(which just seemed to disappear I think)

I can't remember the syntax myself without looking through the thread.

Enjoy...
Mark