spa3000 incoming calls question

Old October 8th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Charlie

Default spa3000 incoming calls question

Hi,
I have been reading the threads & am thinking of getting an spa3000 but
have a couple of questions.

Currently I have an NTL phone/tv service, a bt line with 2M broadband
and a DECT cordless phone connected to the NTL line.
I want to get rid of NTL in stages.

From what I understand, I can use the spa3000 and can setup a dial plan
to make outgoing calls on either voip or ntl according to some rules, right?

But, can I use the spa3000 to receive calls both on the NTL number and
on a voip number using just the one phone handset?

Then once I'm happy with the new voip service I'll cancel ntl and plug
in my bt line to the spa3000 as a backup for outgoing calls. (I have a
mobile & don't rely on my home phone for anything so if it goes down
occasionally no big deal)

Any help greatly appreciated!

thanks,
Charlie
Old October 8th 05, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 15:31:26 +0100, Charlie wrote:

Hi,
I have been reading the threads & am thinking of getting an spa3000 but
have a couple of questions.

Currently I have an NTL phone/tv service, a bt line with 2M broadband
and a DECT cordless phone connected to the NTL line.
I want to get rid of NTL in stages.

From what I understand, I can use the spa3000 and can setup a dial plan
to make outgoing calls on either voip or ntl according to some rules, right?

Yes

But, can I use the spa3000 to receive calls both on the NTL number and
on a voip number using just the one phone handset?

Yes!

Then once I'm happy with the new voip service I'll cancel ntl and plug
in my bt line to the spa3000 as a backup for outgoing calls. (I have a
mobile & don't rely on my home phone for anything so if it goes down
occasionally no big deal)

I don't have a landline anymore - just a cable connection. You do
need a mobile for 999 calls. To make outgoing calls, in general,
providing your Net connection is OK, you can use a different voip
provider if your usual one is down. Of course, on the rare occasions
when the Net is down you will have to use your mobile.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old October 9th 05, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Sat, 8 Oct 2005, Charlie writes
Hi,
I have been reading the threads & am thinking of getting an spa3000 but
have a couple of questions.

DON'T get a SPA3000.

Good bit of kit as it is, some units have a fault which produces a
random single ring to your connected phone at any time of the day or
night. Sometimes it's days before it rings again and sometimes it can
be 2 or 3 times in a night.

Sipura don't want to know!

DON'T BUY
Old October 9th 05, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 08:49:41 +0100, David Floyd
wrote:

In message of Sat, 8 Oct 2005, Charlie writes
Hi,
I have been reading the threads & am thinking of getting an spa3000 but
have a couple of questions.

DON'T get a SPA3000.

Good bit of kit as it is, some units have a fault which produces a
random single ring to your connected phone at any time of the day or
night. Sometimes it's days before it rings again and sometimes it can
be 2 or 3 times in a night.

Sipura don't want to know!

DON'T BUY

My 3000 seems to be OK. However, I can support what David says in that
a friend gets this problem. He has always assumed that it is his
asterisk box that causes the problem - and it could be - the jury is
out on that one.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old October 9th 05, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Adamson

DON'T get a SPA3000.

DON'T BUY

My 3000 seems to be OK. However, I can support what David says in that
a friend gets this problem. He has always assumed that it is his
asterisk box that causes the problem - and it could be - the jury is
out on that one.

The latest firmware seems to have fixed the issue for me.

Old October 9th 05, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Charlie

Mark Adamson wrote:
DON'T get a SPA3000.

DON'T BUY

My 3000 seems to be OK. However, I can support what David says in that
a friend gets this problem. He has always assumed that it is his
asterisk box that causes the problem - and it could be - the jury is
out on that one.

The latest firmware seems to have fixed the issue for me.

thanks for answering my questions everyone, that's interesting
information about the random ringing, I'll do some research about the
firmware update. If I didn't go for the spa3000 what would you
recommend as the next best thing to do the same job?

cheers, Charlie
Old October 10th 05, 12:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Floyd

In message of Sun, 9 Oct 2005, Mark Adamson writes
DON'T get a SPA3000.

DON'T BUY

My 3000 seems to be OK. However, I can support what David says in that
a friend gets this problem. He has always assumed that it is his
asterisk box that causes the problem - and it could be - the jury is
out on that one.

The latest firmware seems to have fixed the issue for me.

Would that be 3.1.7 (I haven't seen anybody's comments about that
upgrade).

But I append here some-one's comments on the Voxilla Forum where this is
being discussed.

"Folks, I have news for you: it has nothing to do with Message Waiting,
Call Waiting, or any other interaction. The problem occurs even when the
SPA-3K is not connected to any network or PSTN! I had been using VoIP
without the PSTN line being connected, and before going to bed, I
disconnected the Ethernet cable between the SPA-3K and the computer.
About 4:30 a.m. it rang. Go figure!

It seems to occur approximately every 12 hours beginning with the last
boot, and I've been experiencing it since firmware v2.something through
3.1.3 and 3.1.5. Maybe 3.1.7 fixes it?"

I don't agree with his "12 hours" statement as the timing seems random
in my case.

Maybe I should try 3.1.7 (I'm still on 3.1.3)

David

Old October 23rd 05, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Mark Adamson" writes:
DON'T get a SPA3000.

DON'T BUY

My 3000 seems to be OK. However, I can support what David says in that
a friend gets this problem. He has always assumed that it is his
asterisk box that causes the problem - and it could be - the jury is
out on that one.

Mine does this. It logs a line reversal as the reason (which is
the start of an incoming call if you have callerid). The call is
aborted before the ring starts though. BT do generate some line
reversals in the night as part of the loop testing. One of the
BT SIN's mentions this as it has been known to cause problems
with some subscriber kit responding too quickly to it, thinking
it's an incoming call.

The latest firmware seems to have fixed the issue for me.

Interesting. I might give it a go.
I'm currently running 2.0.13g.
I tried 3.1.3a but they had broken the syslog logging,
so I switched back. I notice the current version is 3.1.7g.
The release notice for 3.1.7g is broken though (web page
is incomplete), so it's difficult to know what's new in it.

--
Andrew Gabriel