hardware advice for newbie

Old October 8th 05, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

Default hardware advice for newbie

"Dave" wrote in message

I a newbie to voip and am currently researching
equipment. Could do with a bit of advice though.

Currently I have a blueyonder cable connection shared
between 2 computers using internet connection sharing and
a crossover cable. While this does work ok, it has it's
disadvantages like the main PC having to be on for the
secondary one to access the internet, so I would like to
do things properly and get a router to share the
connection.

I also have a BT phone line. I have been playing about
with Sipgate over the past couple of months using a
softphone and have been most impressed. So I think the
time has come to ditch my BT line and move solely to a
voip system.

Unless you have internet access via a cable provider you will need a BT
line in order to get your broadband connection..!

So bascally I am looking for a voip router/adapter which
i can plug a normal telephone into as well as something
that can replace my internet connection sharing method.

I have been browsing Sipgate's shop section, and am
intersted in the Netgear TA612V and also the Grandstream
Handytone 486 (which can be bought on ebay for 45)

The Netgear TA612V is specifically designed for Sipgate and is locked to
it, so you won't be able to use any other provider. This is obviously a
disadvantage for many people, but may not be for you, only you can make
that decision. It does require a separate modem (not router) as it
contains a router of its own but no modem. It works well with cable modems
so if you go that route it may well do what you want.

The Grandstream 486 is purely an ATA, it needs an existing router to
connect to, and only has one phone port, rather than the two of the
TA612V.

Reading through the instruction manuals, am i correct in
thinking that although they will do the voice element, to
share the internet connection I am still going to need
another router, something like the Netgear RP614?

The Netgear has a router (but no modem). The Grandstream has neither.

If this is the case then because the RP614 can be bought
for under 20i suppose I could probably live with that.
However, are there any devices that can do what i want
to achieve all in one for a similar price?

My personal favourite (for a BT line, it doesn't work with cable) is the
AVM Fritz!Box Fon which contains an ADSL modem, router and ATA. It only
has a single ethernet port though (as does the Netgear TA612V) so an
additional hub or switch is needed, but these are relatively cheap.

Also does the Netgear TA612V have any advantages over the
cheaper Handytone 486 (other than the 2 lines)?

How easy are they to configure? Does caller display work
through them?

Caller display should work ok, it depends on your phone. It works fine
with mine. Configuration varies, the Fritz!Box is very easy, it was
literally plug and go after entering account details, some other devices
(notably Sipura) are much more complicated and do require some
knowledge..!

Any help appreciated.

Hope this helps..!

Ivor

Old October 8th 05, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 17:32:45 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

The Netgear TA612V is specifically designed for Sipgate

don't tell the Aussies :-)
http://www.expansys.com.au/product.asp?code=124070

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old October 8th 05, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Phil Thompson" wrote in
message
wrote:

The Netgear TA612V is specifically designed for Sipgate

don't tell the Aussies :-)
http://www.expansys.com.au/product.asp?code=124070

Phil

That's interesting..! Incidentally the Grandstream 486 does have a router,
I was thinking of the Sipura 2000. It's not as sophisticated a router as
that in the Netgear or Fritz!Box products though and Im not altogether
sure if it supports QoS or not.

Ivor

Old October 8th 05, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Keith the Confused

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Phil Thompson" wrote in
message

wrote:

The Netgear TA612V is specifically designed for Sipgate

don't tell the Aussies :-)
http://www.expansys.com.au/product.asp?code=124070

Phil

That's interesting..! Incidentally the Grandstream 486 does have a router,
I was thinking of the Sipura 2000. It's not as sophisticated a router as
that in the Netgear or Fritz!Box products though and Im not altogether
sure if it supports QoS or not.

Ivor

ISTR that the HT-486 only has 10BaseT LAN and WAN ports, so if you're
considering getting super-fast broadband (=8Mb/s) any time soon, it's
probably not a good long-term buy. ICBW, YMMV and so forth

Keith
Old October 8th 05, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Keith the Confused" wrote in
message k

[snip]

ISTR that the HT-486 only has 10BaseT LAN and WAN ports,
so if you're considering getting super-fast broadband
(=8Mb/s) any time soon, it's probably not a good
long-term buy. ICBW, YMMV and so forth

That really shouldn't affect the internet speed, only the local LAN.
10Mbps is plenty fast enough for practically any broadband connection..!

Ivor

Old October 8th 05, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Ivor Jones wrote:
|| "Keith the Confused" wrote in
|| message k
|| [snip]
||| ISTR that the HT-486 only has 10BaseT LAN and WAN ports,
||| so if you're considering getting super-fast broadband
||| (=8Mb/s) any time soon, it's probably not a good
||| long-term buy. ICBW, YMMV and so forth
|| That really shouldn't affect the internet speed, only the local LAN.
|| 10Mbps is plenty fast enough for practically any broadband
|| connection..!
|| Ivor

Telewest are rolling out upgrades of 10Mbps for cable broadband. see
www.blueyonder.co.uk/evenfaster

With overheads, you're not going to get the full speed, if you use 10BaseT.
They're even swapping some of the older Moto modems that have a 10BaseT WAN
port.

Old October 9th 05, 12:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Keith the Confused

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Keith the Confused" wrote in
message k

[snip]

ISTR that the HT-486 only has 10BaseT LAN and WAN ports,
so if you're considering getting super-fast broadband
(=8Mb/s) any time soon, it's probably not a good
long-term buy. ICBW, YMMV and so forth

That really shouldn't affect the internet speed, only the local LAN.
10Mbps is plenty fast enough for practically any broadband connection..!

"640K ought to be enough for anyone"?

Sorry, but that's not true. Already there are (LLU-only, at the moment)
services that give you in excess of 10Mb/s, and cable's not too far
behind (Telewest and NTL are currently rolling out 10Mb/s services).

Keith