hardware advice for newbie

Old October 8th 05, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

Default hardware advice for newbie

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 16:15:00 GMT, Dave wrote:

I a newbie to voip and am currently researching equipment. Could do
with a bit of advice though.

Currently I have a blueyonder cable connection shared between 2
computers using internet connection sharing and a crossover cable.
While this does work ok, it has it's disadvantages like the main PC
having to be on for the secondary one to access the internet, so I
would like to do things properly and get a router to share the
connection.

I also have a BT phone line. I have been playing about with Sipgate
over the past couple of months using a softphone and have been most
impressed. So I think the time has come to ditch my BT line and move
solely to a voip system.

So bascally I am looking for a voip router/adapter which i can plug a
normal telephone into as well as something that can replace my
internet connection sharing method.

I have been browsing Sipgate's shop section, and am intersted in the
Netgear TA612V and also the Grandstream Handytone 486 (which can be
bought on ebay for 45)

Reading through the instruction manuals, am i correct in thinking that
although they will do the voice element, to share the internet
connection I am still going to need another router, something like the
Netgear RP614?

If this is the case then because the RP614 can be bought for under
20i suppose I could probably live with that. However, are there any
devices that can do what i want to achieve all in one for a similar
price?

Also does the Netgear TA612V have any advantages over the cheaper
Handytone 486 (other than the 2 lines)?

How easy are they to configure? Does caller display work through them?

Any help appreciated.

First piece of advice: You are currently looking at Sipgate. Don't buy
any hardware from Sipgate that is locked to Sipgate - such as the
Netgear. I know that it has been on offer and a friend got one. I did
warn him but, like so many people, he didn't heed my advice. Now he
has learned that Sipgate isn't so reliable and he regrets it.
Personally I wouldn't buy locked gear from anyone but it does have its
uses, for non-technical people, who just want a simple set up, with a
single provider, and are willing to pay a fixed fee for the
priviledge.

Some people on here use a Linksys router/ATA - I am sure advice will
follow.

You might also look at he the Draytek router/ATA- expensive though.

When you check out your router make sure it has QoS (Quality of
Service) provision on it.

When choosing an ATA you need to ensure that it has the number of
incoming lines you require and will cope with a number of outgoing
providers. Sipura ATAs are popular and worth a look - don't expect an
instruction book though - you won't get one!

I have a voip only phone system, on cable, using voipfone and
voipbuster.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.