London Geographic Number

Old October 8th 05, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Eliodeo

Default London Geographic Number

Hi,

can you tell me which providers offer a 0207 geographic number for free or
at least with no monthly fees (just the set-up)? I don't live in the UK and
I can't get it from Sipgate (I suppose they check the IP address of my
connection).

Thx

Old October 8th 05, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Eliodeo" wrote in message

Hi,

can you tell me which providers offer a 0207 geographic
number for free or at least with no monthly fees (just
the set-up)? I don't live in the UK and I can't get it
from Sipgate (I suppose they check the IP address of my
connection).

Yes, you can only get a UK geographic number from a UK IP address. I
believe there are proxy servers you can use to get around this but I'm not
sure how they work. Alternatively if you know anyone in the UK get them to
set up the account for you.

Ivor

Old October 8th 05, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
sean

Eliodeo wrote:
Hi,

can you tell me which providers offer a 0207 geographic number for free or
at least with no monthly fees (just the set-up)? I don't live in the UK and
I can't get it from Sipgate (I suppose they check the IP address of my
connection).

Thx

0207 number? They dont exist as such... They are 020 7.

Old October 8th 05, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 22:29:40 +0100, Sean
wrote:

Eliodeo wrote:
Hi,

can you tell me which providers offer a 0207
geographic number for free or at least with no
monthly fees (just the set-up)? I don't live in the
UK and I can't get it from Sipgate (I suppose they
check the IP address of my connection).

Thx

0207 number? They dont exist as such... They are 020 7.

Oh Christ let us not start all that nonsense again please
0207 will always be 0207 in many peoples eyes no matter
what one or two of you correctness merchants think .

It's not a question of correctness, it's getting through or not getting
through..! Try dialling just the last 7 digits in London and see what
happens (or rather doesn't happen..!)

For people to dial a number correctly they must know the correct format.
It doesn't matter outside London I agree but it's *very* important inside
it and for the sake of simplicity alone it's better if a common format is
used.

It's why I believe we'd be better off with a common numbering format for
the whole country, but perhaps uk.telecom would be a better place for that
discussion, although it's already been done to death there.

Same with 999 and 112 I am not adverse to that
change 112 is easier to dial than 999 anyway but
it is far easier to remember 0207 254 7772 than
020 7254 7772 .

But not to dial if you happen to be in London.

Ivor

Old October 9th 05, 01:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
JC

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 23:02:17 +0100, Anon Y Mous [email protected] wrote:

But why pander to stupidity? Do these people dial the full area code
inside London as well? London has EIGHT DIGIT LOCAL NUMBERS! The whole

Sadly, most people in London now appear to dial the full number rather
than the 8 digit local version. People i've shown 8 digit dialing seem
amazed and confused as to how it's possible!

This seems to be due to the fact that for 10 years (from 01 071/081
in 1990 to the remerging as 020 7/8 in 2000) it was only possible to
call across town using the full number.

point of changing from 7 to eight digits was to increase number
capacity, it would be an utterly pointless exercise if all that happened
was 0171-0207 and 0181-0208.

It was. It would have been much simpler and cheaper for all if they'd
just added additional overlay codes as they do in the US. Effectively,
as far as most people are concerned that's just what's happening
anyway with 020-3.

These number changes seem to occur around every 5 years so I guess
we're due for another one any day. 01 for London anyone?

Rgds
Jonathan

Old October 9th 05, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mike GW8IJT

"Sean" wrote in message
Eliodeo wrote:
Hi,

can you tell me which providers offer a 0207 geographic number for

free or
at least with no monthly fees (just the set-up)? I don't live in the

UK and
I can't get it from Sipgate (I suppose they check the IP address of

my
connection).

Thx

0207 number? They dont exist as such... They are 020 7.

Yes, the STD code for London is 020, NOT 0207.
Regards Mike.

Old October 9th 05, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Adamson

[...]

Ironically sipgate sort of disagree with you Ivor, because they only provide
020 7 numbers and not 020 8. Despite them officially having the same area
code there will always be a distinction between them just because of the
history of 081/071.

So, it seems silly to pe picky when somebody puts 0207 as the description of
a category of numbers, which they clearly are, even if only because of
history and not because of any system in place now.

Mark

Old October 9th 05, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis

Mark Adamson wrote:
Ironically sipgate sort of disagree with you Ivor, because they only provide
020 7 numbers and not 020 8. Despite them officially having the same area
code there will always be a distinction between them just because of the
history of 081/071.

So, it seems silly to pe picky when somebody puts 0207 as the description of
a category of numbers, which they clearly are, even if only because of
history and not because of any system in place now.

I think I'll start writing my number[1] as 02072 221234, then, if it's
all the same to you. I mean, why be picky when the nubmer "still
works"[2], right?

Except Tuesdays, when it will be 02 0722 21234.

[1] Not actually my number, used as an example.
[2] For definitions of still work, i.e. national dialling only.
Old October 9th 05, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adrian Auer-Hudson

wrote:

"If you dial the full number 0207 xxx xxxx in London it will still
connect to the number you want. I seem to remember when the 01
for London was changed BT making a big splash saying for London
we all had to dial 0207 and 0208 instead of 01. Now that it would seem
is not good enough . Why should the rest of us have to change just for
the sake of people in London let them dial the FULL number. This is
like a re run of the change from our old currency to the metric
system and now it is quite likely but heaven forbid we are all going
to have to change to the Euro .
It really is time things stud still for a while all this chopping and
changing just can't be doing anyone any good except for the pillocks
sat in offices dreaming up these changes and getting paid more in a
month than I get paid in a year for doing it . "

There is a reason you are paid so little. Most folks here can figure
out what that reason is. Here are some clues:
The United Kingdom changed from Pounds Shillings and Pence (LSD) to the
DECIMAL currency system in IIRC 1971. Later, the UK changed from the
Imperial system of measurements to the metric system. This was a
lengthy and messy conversion. London, along with several other areas,
has eight digit telephone numbers. Its area code is 20. The leading
"0" is for subscriber acces to the STD system giving an STD code of
020. In the interim London changed from 01 to 071 and 081, then to
0171 and 0181 and finaly to 020.

You don't understand this, but that is not our problem.

Adrian, Los Angeles.