Grandstream and Ringtones

Old October 10th 05, 07:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
GlenC

Default Grandstream and Ringtones

Hi there

I have a Grandstream GXP2000 and would like to add some decent UK
telephone ringtones.

I see from the Grantstream webwite there is a utility if you run
Linux/Unix....

Well I don't run Linux / unit but Windows....

Has anyone successfully been able to update ringtones on their
Granstream? (with a Windows enviroment)

Thanks.....

Glen.

Old October 10th 05, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian

On 2005-10-10, GlenC wrote:

Hi there

I have a Grandstream GXP2000 and would like to add some decent UK
telephone ringtones.

I see from the Grantstream webwite there is a utility if you run
Linux/Unix....

Well I don't run Linux / unit but Windows....

Has anyone successfully been able to update ringtones on their
Granstream? (with a Windows enviroment)

The README file which comes with the Grandstream utility says:

'The tool converts music files into PCMU (G.711A) format of up to 64KB
each.'

Now I think that what Grandstream call PCMU is ulaw (u-law), so what you
could look for is a Windows program which converts .wav or .mp3 files to
ulaw format.

Brian.
Old October 11th 05, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Tom

I have managed to change the ring tone on my Grandstream phone and it took
some real determination!

First, their tool only works on Unix/Linux, so I had to use a bootable Linux
distribution just to convert the files to their format. Then, you can't
upload the file to the phone, but the phone has to download the files from a
nominated TFTP server, so I had to install a TFT server on my computer...

All of this took a long time, but the default ring is now changed...