Phone rings for 2 secs for no reason?!

Old October 10th 05, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris S

Default Phone rings for 2 secs for no reason?!

Hi

Wonder if anyone has any ideas about this , got a netgear TA612V connected
via sipgate, with a binatone dect phone connected to it.

all works perfectly, spent 40mins on the phone over the weekend with perfect
2 way quality!, but for some reason every few hours the phone rings for
about 2 seconds then stops! , and on the phone the caller id shows my home
number.

i'm going to try another dect phone on the line just to see if theres
anything strange with the way the Ta talks to the phone!?

but just was wondering if it's just me and my phone!

ta

Chris

Old October 10th 05, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alan Ramsay

"Chris S" wrote in message
snip
every few hours the phone rings for about 2 seconds then stops! , and on
the phone the caller id shows my home number.

snip

Have you checked to make sure that there are no voicemail messages?

I know that some phones / TA's don't handle Message Waiting indicators very
well, and ring the phone a couple of times, rather than lighting the light,
or displaying the icon.

Alan

Old October 10th 05, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Chris S" wrote in message

Hi

Wonder if anyone has any ideas about this , got a netgear
TA612V connected via sipgate, with a binatone dect phone
connected to it.
all works perfectly, spent 40mins on the phone over the
weekend with perfect 2 way quality!, but for some reason
every few hours the phone rings for about 2 seconds then
stops! , and on the phone the caller id shows my home
number.
i'm going to try another dect phone on the line just to
see if theres anything strange with the way the Ta talks
to the phone!?
but just was wondering if it's just me and my phone!

ta

Chris

I've heard of similar problems with the Netgear box, have you asked
Sipgate support..?

Ivor

Old October 10th 05, 10:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

I've heard of similar problems with the Netgear box, have you asked
Sipgate support..?

havn't asked sipgate yet, have taken out my binatone e3300 phone and
plugged in a BT synergy 3105 and so far in 6 hours it hasn't done it,
so maybe something wierd with the way the binatone phone reacts to the
netgear box!

will leave the bt phone overnight to see if i does it, if it doesn't
i'll just not use the binatone phone!

curious!

Chris

Old October 11th 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephen Peterson

"Chris S" wrote in message
Hi

Wonder if anyone has any ideas about this , got a netgear TA612V connected
via sipgate, with a binatone dect phone connected to it.

all works perfectly, spent 40mins on the phone over the weekend with
perfect 2 way quality!, but for some reason every few hours the phone
rings for about 2 seconds then stops! , and on the phone the caller id
shows my home number.

i'm going to try another dect phone on the line just to see if theres
anything strange with the way the Ta talks to the phone!?

but just was wondering if it's just me and my phone!

ta

Chris

I've had a problem with constant ringing (not intermittant though) using the
TA612V and Sipgate. It was a faulty phone adaptor supplied with the Netgear
box. Once I replaced that all was well. Somebody else on this group (Ivor?)
reported a similar fault once I believe.

By the way, does your TA612V drop off for a few seconds every now and then,
preventing outgoing calls? Aparently it's a known fault which is due to be
fixed by new firmware.

Otherwise, I agree with you it's a great set-up.

Stephen

Old October 11th 05, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris S

SP I've had a problem with constant ringing (not intermittant though)
SP using the TA612V and Sipgate. It was a faulty phone adaptor supplied
SP with the Netgear box. Once I replaced that all was well. Somebody else
SP on this group (Ivor?) reported a similar fault once I believe.

the constant ringing i get if i plug a non dect corded phone in, tried 2
different phones but got the same thing, plugging in a dect phone's ok, i
just assumed you had to run it with a dect phone!

well so far swapping my binatone phone for a bt one seems to have cured the
intermittant ring!?

SP By the way, does your TA612V drop off for a few seconds every now and
SP then, preventing outgoing calls? Aparently it's a known fault which is
SP due to be fixed by new firmware.

yup, the orange light flashes but seems to be only for a few mins, i only
make 2 or 3 calls a day if that so i probably wouldn't notice it!

SP Otherwise, I agree with you it's a great set-up.

yup, seems to work for me, used 40 mins over the weekend, no drop outs
perfectly quality, takes a while to connect tho, both when you are phoning
out and in, but once you are used to that it's ok, am quote pleased as i've
only got a 1mb down 100k up connetion which i thought might be a problem

i've only really had it running for a few days, but so far it seems stable,
the idea of this is to save myself 10.99 a month by cancelling the ntl phone
line (i've got cable broadband) when i'm happy with it!

Chris

Old October 11th 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stephen Peterson

"Chris S" wrote in message
the constant ringing i get if i plug a non dect corded phone in, tried 2
different phones but got the same thing, plugging in a dect phone's ok, i
just assumed you had to run it with a dect phone!

well so far swapping my binatone phone for a bt one seems to have cured
the intermittant ring!?

Try getting a replacement PSTN connection adaptor. ISTR some of these were
shipped with a capacitor wired incorrectly.

Old October 12th 05, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris S

Try getting a replacement PSTN connection adaptor. ISTR some of these were
shipped with a capacitor wired incorrectly.

i've got one here, so i'll give it a go, i'm not really bothered about the
non cordless phones not working, but would be interesting to see!