[email protected] as a PABX replacement?

Old October 13th 05, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve

Default [email protected] as a PABX replacement?

Hi all,

I have messed around a bit with [email protected] and a couple of sip
providers to enable voip and installed a couple of remote extentions
that worked great for free cross company calls. However, we have setup
a new company and have installed an ISDN30 circuit and are in the
process of buying a PABX for the switchboard.

This got me thinking. Could I not install [email protected] at the new
office and install an ISDN30 card in the Asterisk box to achieve the
same as I could get from NEC or Mitel etc?

If my thinking is correct, I could install a bank of SIP phones
connected the astrerisk box and use these to call the other sites
extentions free of charge over ip and then make "normal" calls over
the isdn? The asterisk box could also receive inbound calls over a sip
gateway and also to the isdn30 number?

I may be way off mark but is all this possible? Has anyone replaced
their PBX or installed just asterisk into a company and used if for
analogue and voip calls? What I'm trying to get at is it possible to
just install Asterisk and no "normal" switchboard?

I also asume one aterisk server at one site can talk to another
asterisk server at site2 by using an internal extention?

Could anyone point me in the right direction with regard to the isdn
hardware I would need to install in Asterisk to talk to my UK ISDN30
circuit?

Am I biting off more than I can chew? If so could anyone recommend an
Asterisk consultant who could help me?

Thanks
Steve
Old October 13th 05, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark Adamson

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Steve, I have been thinking similar to you.

I think what you are suggesting is just what Asterisk is meant for. WRT UK
ISDN cards, I found a couple on
http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Tel...ISDN+BRI+Cards, which I
assume will work. Check out the ISDN for linux howtos, as Asterisk uses
ISDN4Linux to control any cards.

Somewhere there is a list of different manufacturers and which ones are best
supported by ISDN4L, but I am going to have to say find them yourself as I
am in a rush.

Hope you get it up and running, and let us know what the end outcome is, or
how it is coming along.

Mark

Old October 13th 05, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

Yes you can put and ISDN30 card in Asterisk. We installed an Asterisk with
a Digium TE405P, a quad span PRI card, enough for 4 ISDN30's
(www.digium.com, available from
http://www.voiptalk.org/products/Tel...ISDN+PRI+Cards ) We have
two ISDN30's from BT on two of the spans and the other two spans are
connected to our legacy PBX. You can have DDI on the ISDN's and programme
these for each extension or whatever you want to use them for. We didn't
get rid of the PBX because of the investment in ACD and handsets but we have
gained a VoIP gateway to which we can add VoIP handsets both in the office
and remotely. Get the ISDN30 as Euro ISDN (I421) rather than DASS.

Steve

Old October 14th 05, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:37:01 +0100, Steve
wrote:

I may be way off mark but is all this possible? Has anyone replaced
their PBX or installed just asterisk into a company and used if for
analogue and voip calls? What I'm trying to get at is it possible to
just install Asterisk and no "normal" switchboard?

that is really the whole point of Asterisk - its a switchboard for
VoIP telephony.

maybe not the @Home version (I don't know) but the full fat one :-
http://www.asterisk.org/
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk