How to get extra lines with SPA-3000?

Old October 16th 05, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

Default How to get extra lines with SPA-3000?

I have an SPA-3000 set up with a DECT base-station in the FXS port and
configured for a Sipgate account. Trouble is although there are two DECT
handsets I can never actually make or receive telephone calls because both
handsets are always randomly hidden around the house - usually under a pile
of teenage junk in kids bedrooms.

Is there any way I can add two extra lines for kids exclusive use so they
leave mine alone? I have a strong feeling that if it can be done at all then
the answer is going to involve Asterisk; would be prepared to do this with
an old PC but just so long as I don't have to spend out on special voice
boards or anything. I don't really understand how Asterisk works or how it
would interface with the SPA.

Old October 16th 05, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:38:52 GMT, "Joe Harrison"
wrote:

I have an SPA-3000 set up with a DECT base-station in the FXS port and
configured for a Sipgate account. Trouble is although there are two DECT
handsets I can never actually make or receive telephone calls because both
handsets are always randomly hidden around the house - usually under a pile
of teenage junk in kids bedrooms.

Is there any way I can add two extra lines for kids exclusive use so they
leave mine alone? I have a strong feeling that if it can be done at all then
the answer is going to involve Asterisk; would be prepared to do this with
an old PC but just so long as I don't have to spend out on special voice
boards or anything. I don't really understand how Asterisk works or how it
would interface with the SPA.

I think that there are basically 3 answers to your problem.
1. 'Asterisk at home' software - loads very easily in one go and will
work on an oldish machine. Installation will probably take about half
an hour as it whirs away on its own - no need for intervention.
2. Get another ATA - you can use more than one - it's just another IP.
3. Get some SIP phones - again just more IPs to add to the system.
I think option 3 is out on cost grounds and other possible port
forwarding problems.
Option 1 affords the maximum flexibility but requires some learning.
Option 2 is possible - you might find something on ebay.
The only problem I can foresee with option 2 is port forwarding as you
already have one ATA..
You would probably be best with an ATA which went before the router in
this case - someone else here with more experience might be able to
advise on that one.

As regards Asterisk: The ATA connects to the system as it does now but
the computer links to it via its IP on the internal network. With
'Asterisk at home' you will be able to control the old computer ( you
Asterisk box) via a web interface on your usual computer - so no need
for a monitor etc. on your old computer once it has been set up.
If you are prepared to spend a little time learning how to operate
'Asterisk at Home' then this would be the best option.
The only disadvantage is the cost of electriciy so you need to choose
a computer that isn't too power hungry and possibly put it on a timer
so it switches off whilst the kids are in bed.

Take a look at:
http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old October 16th 05, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

wrote:

Trouble is although there are two DECT
handsets I can never actually make or receive telephone calls because both
handsets are always randomly hidden around the house

a T-adaptor and a hard wired phone would resolve this ?

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old October 16th 05, 04:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Joe Harrison" wrote in message

I have an SPA-3000 set up with a DECT base-station in the
FXS port and configured for a Sipgate account. Trouble is
although there are two DECT handsets I can never actually
make or receive telephone calls because both handsets are
always randomly hidden around the house - usually under a
pile of teenage junk in kids bedrooms.

Is there any way I can add two extra lines for kids
exclusive use so they leave mine alone? I have a strong
feeling that if it can be done at all then the answer is
going to involve Asterisk; would be prepared to do this
with an old PC but just so long as I don't have to spend
out on special voice boards or anything. I don't really
understand how Asterisk works or how it would interface
with the SPA.

An additional ATA would probably be the easiest option. I have 4 Sipgate
numbers and one FWD number here..!

Note though that it is sometimes difficult to get two ATA's working behind
one router, but it can usually be done.

Ivor

Old October 16th 05, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mark

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

[...]

I use a netgear router and have never had to forward ports to make or
recieve calls using sipgate using either a ATA or SoftPhone thats the idea
of the stun address "stun.sipgate.net:10000"

--
"Customise Your Mobile http://ringtones.tekmobile.co.uk"
"Join Our New Forum http://forums.tekmobile.co.uk"

Old October 16th 05, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter

Ivor Jones wrote:
[...]
Note though that it is sometimes difficult to get two ATA's working
behind one router, but it can usually be done.

At that point, it's usually less bother to get an Asterisk box with
two (virtual) network interfaces on the job.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger for full key
Old October 16th 05, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Lurch

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:51:45 +0100, Phil Thompson
scrawled:

we didn't
need telephone exchanges in our houses before so why should we need
Asterisk now ?

We don't really need computers, TV's, radios, electricity, central
heating etc... At one time every lived in caves.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group
Old October 16th 05, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 18:07:30 +0100, Paul Cupis
wrote:

You didn't have N lines then either

I did actually, and I used multiple call carriers on them, still
didn't need an exchange :-)

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))