Asterisk and video

Old October 19th 05, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Darren J Longhorn

Default Asterisk and video

Anyone know if Asterisk can handle video phones clients when acting as
a SIP server?

Old October 21st 05, 12:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Darren J Longhorn wrote:

Anyone know if Asterisk can handle video phones clients when acting as
a SIP server?

Can't see why not. SIP devices will talk to each other directly using RTP,
if they can agree on a codec. So I imagine two of the same brand of SIP
videophone would work OK without much tweaking of asterisk.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
00:14:11 up 16 days, 5:21, 3 users, load average: 0.33, 0.18, 0.11

Old October 21st 05, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Darren J Longhorn

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:17:17 GMT, alexd wrote:

Darren J Longhorn wrote:

Anyone know if Asterisk can handle video phones clients when acting as
a SIP server?

Can't see why not. SIP devices will talk to each other directly using RTP,
if they can agree on a codec. So I imagine two of the same brand of SIP
videophone would work OK without much tweaking of asterisk.

Yes, I did a bit of reading at viop-info.org and it's clear that at
least some video phones are supported. What I couldn't understand was
the "allow" option in sip.conf As you say, I would have thought that
the codecs allowed were up to the clients to agree. Or is this only
applicable when asterisk is used as a client? I guess I'll have to try
it and see.

Old October 22nd 05, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Darren J Longhorn wrote:

Anyone know if Asterisk can handle video phones clients when acting as
a SIP server?

Can't see why not. SIP devices will talk to each other directly using RTP,
if they can agree on a codec. So I imagine two of the same brand of SIP
videophone would work OK without much tweaking of asterisk.

Yes, I did a bit of reading at viop-info.org and it's clear that at
least some video phones are supported. What I couldn't understand was
the "allow" option in sip.conf As you say, I would have thought that
the codecs allowed were up to the clients to agree. Or is this only
applicable when asterisk is used as a client? I guess I'll have to try
it and see.

Also try putting videosupport=yes in the [general] section of sip.conf

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
10:12:12 up 17 days, 15:19, 3 users, load average: 0.37, 0.40, 0.24