bad line on Skype: USB is the culprit

Old October 22nd 05, 07:53 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
tg

Default bad line on Skype: USB is the culprit

to share my experiences of using skype, I've discovered that the best
quality connections are when both parties are using a PCI card to connect to
the internet. I've found consistently that those using USB connections get
bad quality lines, with the voice dropping out and distorting. This is
probably because usb hogs the processor and doesn't leave much left for
voip.
If you're having consistent bad lines with skype and you're using a usb
device for broadband, bin it and get yourself a router and an ethernet PCI
card.

Old October 23rd 05, 04:45 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Nick

"tg" wrote in message
to share my experiences of using skype, I've discovered that the best
quality connections are when both parties are using a PCI card to connect

the internet. I've found consistently that those using USB connections get
bad quality lines, with the voice dropping out and distorting. This is
probably because usb hogs the processor and doesn't leave much left for
voip.
If you're having consistent bad lines with skype and you're using a usb
device for broadband, bin it and get yourself a router and an ethernet PCI
card.

Stating the obvious.

Old October 23rd 05, 06:26 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
NewUser\)

"tg" wrote ...
to share my experiences of using skype, I've discovered that the best
quality connections are when both parties are using a PCI card to connect

the internet. I've found consistently that those using USB connections get
bad quality lines, with the voice dropping out and distorting. This is
probably because usb hogs the processor and doesn't leave much left for
voip.
If you're having consistent bad lines with skype and you're using a usb
device for broadband, bin it and get yourself a router and an ethernet PCI
card.

USB network devices are notoriously poor.

Old October 23rd 05, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Peter

NewUser;\) wrote:
[...]
USB network devices are notoriously poor.

I'd go as far as to say that all USB devices are poor.

USB is a compromise interface, designed to replace a variety of more
suitable interfaces with a single idiot-proof connector. It's not
surprising that an interface mainly designed for attaching slow
devices such as keyboards and mice isn't so hot at high-speed
latency-sensitive applications.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger for full key
Old October 23rd 05, 01:21 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
tg

"Nick" wrote in message

"tg" wrote in message
to share my experiences of using skype, I've discovered that the best
quality connections are when both parties are using a PCI card to connect

the internet. I've found consistently that those using USB connections
get
bad quality lines, with the voice dropping out and distorting. This is
probably because usb hogs the processor and doesn't leave much left for
voip.
If you're having consistent bad lines with skype and you're using a usb
device for broadband, bin it and get yourself a router and an ethernet
PCI
card.

Stating the obvious.

maybe to you, but not to 99% of the computer using population it's not.

Old October 23rd 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Jim

tg wrote:
to share my experiences of using skype, I've discovered that the best
quality connections are when both parties are using a PCI card to connect to
the internet. I've found consistently that those using USB connections get
bad quality lines, with the voice dropping out and distorting. This is
probably because usb hogs the processor and doesn't leave much left for
voip.
If you're having consistent bad lines with skype and you're using a usb
device for broadband, bin it and get yourself a router and an ethernet PCI
card.

While running a speed test through my USB adaptor, my CPU
usage jumps from 2% to about 5%. A Skype call (not at the
same time) pushes it up to 30%. I'd imagine almost anything
that competes for CPU time could cause a poor connection.
Is it reasonable to scapegoat the USB device? What about
USB-connected Skype-phones?
Old October 23rd 05, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Peter" wrote in message

NewUser;\) wrote:
[...]
USB network devices are notoriously poor.

I'd go as far as to say that all USB devices are poor.

USB is a compromise interface, designed to replace a
variety of more suitable interfaces with a single
idiot-proof connector. It's not surprising that an
interface mainly designed for attaching slow devices such
as keyboards and mice isn't so hot at high-speed
latency-sensitive applications.

I don't know, USB 2.0 is ok, I have an external hard drive that I use for
backups and the response speed from that isn't so different from my
internal drives. I wouldn't use USB for communications though.

Ivor

Old October 23rd 05, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
Rob Gibson

"Jim" wrote in message
tg wrote:
[...]

I use USB and Skype works just fine. Chatting, browsing and doing a few
downloads at the same time - no probs with the calls.

Old October 23rd 05, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
tg

"Jim" wrote in message
tg wrote:
[...]

only way you'd know for yourself is to change your internect connection from
usb to PCI ethernet. My mate changed his from a usb ethernet to pci one, it
made a huge difference on skype.

Old October 24th 05, 05:37 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip
NewUser\)

"Ivor Jones" wrote ...
USB network devices are notoriously poor.

I'd go as far as to say that all USB devices are poor.

USB is a compromise interface, designed to replace a
variety of more suitable interfaces with a single
idiot-proof connector. It's not surprising that an
interface mainly designed for attaching slow devices such
as keyboards and mice isn't so hot at high-speed
latency-sensitive applications.

I don't know, USB 2.0 is ok, I have an external hard drive that I use for
backups and the response speed from that isn't so different from my
internal drives. I wouldn't use USB for communications though.

Agreed I have 3 x USB 2.0 Drives and they are fine. Wouldn't use USB for
much else though.