Sipura 841 - double ring tones

Old October 24th 05, 04:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Telephoneman

Default Sipura 841 - double ring tones

I'm trying to use a US spec Sipura 841 that someone gave me, on the
voiptalk service. It works OK except that when I dial a number I hear both
the US and the UK ring tones. I'm quite familiar with the US tones so I'm
not bothered about going through all the regional settings amd typing in all
the UK tone and cadence info. Is there an easy way to suppress one or other
of the tones? Interestingly, if I dial a number that's engaged I just get US
busy.

Liam

Old October 24th 05, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Telephoneman wrote:
|| I'm trying to use a US spec Sipura 841 that someone gave me, on the
|| voiptalk service. It works OK except that when I dial a number I
|| hear both the US and the UK ring tones. I'm quite familiar with the
|| US tones so I'm not bothered about going through all the regional
|| settings amd typing in all the UK tone and cadence info. Is there an
|| easy way to suppress one or other of the tones? Interestingly, if I
|| dial a number that's engaged I just get US busy.
|| Liam

Liam,

This thread should give you some clues

http://voxilla.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-2963-highlight-regional.html

Old October 24th 05, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Telephoneman

"Jono" wrote in message
.uk...

Telephoneman wrote:
|| I'm trying to use a US spec Sipura 841 that someone gave me, on the
|| voiptalk service. It works OK except that when I dial a number I
|| hear both the US and the UK ring tones. I'm quite familiar with the
|| US tones so I'm not bothered about going through all the regional
|| settings amd typing in all the UK tone and cadence info. Is there an
|| easy way to suppress one or other of the tones? Interestingly, if I
|| dial a number that's engaged I just get US busy.
|| Liam

Liam,

This thread should give you some clues

http://voxilla.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-2963-highlight-regional.html

Hmm, it's a bit clearer. The thread is mostly about changing to UK settings
which I didn't really want to do but it does explain why I don't get 2 busy
or NU signals;

QUOTE

"... the 'old' PSTN network always relays the remote ringback tone. (This is
also true for VoIP to PSTN calls.) This is standardized in (inter)national
trunk protocols. The voicepath is opened when a number is available and
ringing. Why? It it weren't, there would be no guarantee that a voicepath
would be available when the called party actually answers.

If you do hear a local ringback tone, you must have hit a VoIP number, as
VoIP never generates a remote ringback tone."

UNQUOTE

I had thought about clearing the US ring tone settings so the phone
generated silence and all I would hear would be UK ringtone but if I believe
the above this means I would get no tone at all for a voip-voip call.

Liam