Wireless VOIP in an office environment

Old October 24th 05, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob Nicholson

Default Wireless VOIP in an office environment

A bit of a VOIP virgin although I pretty much understand the basic
technology underneath there being a programmer and part-time system
administrator. However, I'm not up to speed, at all, with the current state
of products available, both software and hardware. We currently have a BT
(Nortel) Meridian-1 PBX and we're moving to a new office some point soon.
We're definitely going to take the opportunity to go wireless within the
office - that side of the technology we're perfectly happy with. But we've
discussed about going wireless VOIP telephony as well - but that's a lot
more scary. We simply want to replace the PBX functionality in the office,
with wireless phones and minimal call centre agent functionality. We're not
jumping on the internet telephony bandwagon yet so the software PBX would
have to integrate with POTS. I've had a look at Asterisk in the past but
shied away a bit as we're kind of a Windows house (sorry).

Any recommendations for reading/reference material would be appreciated. If
any vendors are out there listening who want to drop me an email about the
services they offer, I wouldn't object too much...

Thanks, Rob.

Old October 24th 05, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob Nicholson

discussed about going wireless VOIP telephony as well - but that's a lot

Gulp - just seen the price of the Cisco 7920G Wireless IP Phone at nearly
£500. That's a non-starter :-) Maybe that single thing gives me a good idea
of where the market is up to and why few people are VOIP wireless...

Ohh forgot to mention, we're a Citrix/Terminal Server environment.

Cheers, Rob.

Old October 24th 05, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob Nicholson

£500. That's a non-starter :-) Maybe that single thing gives me a good
idea

Talking to myself but found Zytel wireless IP for $168 - we've paid ~£100
for the Meridian phones.

Rob.

Old October 24th 05, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Rob Nicholson wrote:
|| A bit of a VOIP virgin although I pretty much understand the basic
|| technology underneath there being a programmer and part-time system
|| administrator. However, I'm not up to speed, at all, with the
|| current state of products available, both software and hardware. We
|| currently have a BT (Nortel) Meridian-1 PBX and we're moving to a
|| new office some point soon. We're definitely going to take the
|| opportunity to go wireless within the office - that side of the
|| technology we're perfectly happy with. But we've discussed about
|| going wireless VOIP telephony as well - but that's a lot more scary.
|| We simply want to replace the PBX functionality in the office, with
|| wireless phones and minimal call centre agent functionality. We're
|| not jumping on the internet telephony bandwagon yet so the software
|| PBX would have to integrate with POTS. I've had a look at Asterisk
|| in the past but shied away a bit as we're kind of a Windows house
|| (sorry).
|| Any recommendations for reading/reference material would be
|| appreciated. If any vendors are out there listening who want to drop
|| me an email about the services they offer, I wouldn't object too
|| much...
|| Thanks, Rob.

DECT works with Asterisk, so long as you have a suitable interface such as
any Analogue Telephone Adapter.

For that matter, DECT would work with a budget phone system as
well..............

you don't say how many lines you'll be having. Are they analogue or ISDN?
How many users?

Old October 25th 05, 03:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Rob:
Talking to myself but found Zytel wireless IP for $168

You mean Zyxel P2000, readily available from broadbandbuyer.co.uk and other
online stores,
the price has dropped from original £200, but still too expensive.
There are others e.g. Senao, Pulver etc. but, to my knowledge, not on sale
in UK.
You can use Windows based PDA / phones, but they are not cheap either.
Some day, soon I hope, ordinary mobile phones will be WiFi VoIP capable,
at the moment there is Nokia E70, E61 and 9300.
Regards,
Martin

Old October 25th 05, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob Nicholson

you don't say how many lines you'll be having. Are they analogue or ISDN?
How many users?

Not defined - new building but I assume it's still ISDN for this kind of
thing? System has to be expandable up to 150 users I think (capacity of
building). We realise that it's not going to be exactly cheap (original
Meridian wasn't) but there is a line between spending the right money to get
the right system and being a bit too bleeding edge and having to spend too
much money of things like wireless handsets.

That said, cabling the building is probably going to be around £15k which
gets you a fair number of £500 handsets.

I kind of expected cheaper wireless handsets basing my guess on the cost of
mobile phones and home DECT sets. Wrongly it seems :-)

Cheers, Rob.

Old October 25th 05, 09:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Martin² wrote:

You can use Windows based PDA / phones, but they are not cheap either.
Some day, soon I hope, ordinary mobile phones will be WiFi VoIP capable,
at the moment there is Nokia E70, E61 and 9300.

The Nokia 9300 doesn't have WiFi, but the 9500 does. (And it's Symbian
based, not Windoze

I don't think theres a VoIP application for the 9500 yet though... It'd
be nice if there was!

Gordon (9500 owner)
Old October 25th 05, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

"Rob Nicholson" wrote in message
I kind of expected cheaper wireless handsets basing my guess on the cost
of mobile phones and home DECT sets. Wrongly it seems :-)

Cheers, Rob.

Absolutely.

A DECT set + ATA would be much more versatile & cost less than a WIFI
phone.

Old October 25th 05, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob Nicholson

I don't think theres a VoIP application for the 9500 yet though... It'd
be nice if there was!

See - £189 is about the right place for a complex handset that offers way,
way more functionality than that CISCO handset I found. Madness :-)

Cheers, Rob.

Old October 25th 05, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Maurice

[...]

Hi Rob,

I'm also doing some similar research.

You could look at http://www.swyx.com/ it's a fairly fully functional
Hybrid PABX with support for E1, BRI and POTS input as well as VOIP.

Based on Microsoft server, so integrates with Active Directory, Outlook etc

I'm still looking for the 'gotchas', but it looks good - and the
documentation is all downloadable in .pdf!

Maurice