Why Voip ?

Old October 25th 05, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Greg

Default Why Voip ?

Hi

I work for a company which has 40+ offices around the world. We have a
traditional "data network" with hubs in two centres. We have a fairly modern
PABX system which allows us to short dial to the other offices using a bit
of the data network. We're just about to completely re-vamp the data network
because we need more capacity. It would seem to me a good opportunity to
introduce Voip but our DP manager is saying that because we already have a
good PBX and the cost of calling around the world is going down there's no
good reason to consider it. Apart from the fact the rest of the world is
going Voip is there any compelling advantages to go VOIP ?

Old October 25th 05, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob Nicholson

introduce Voip but our DP manager is saying that because we already have a
good PBX and the cost of calling around the world is going down there's no
good reason to consider it. Apart from the fact the rest of the world is
going Voip is there any compelling advantages to go VOIP ?

We're in a similar situation being in the situation of moving into a new
building. I'll let you know if I find any really compelling advantages apart
from the fact that we bought an ageing PBX system five years ago and want,
from a company profile point of view, to keep up to date with technology.

I hoped that wireless VIOL was at such a stage where there would be a price
advantage to going wireless compared to wiring up then new building with
CAT-5 cables, which isn't cheap and is inflexible. We'll be going with
wireless LAN but it'll be disappointing to have to still put CAT-5 cables in
just for the telephone system. But as I've found, wireless handsets aren't
cheap.

It's a complex business case to work out the costs that we might be able to
save using internet telephony for example when people are working from home.
We use Citrix/Terminal Services as our main desktop system and this has
incredible hot-desking and home-working capabilities when teamed with a
broadband. It seems completely daft that the user is unable to configure
then phone remotely (i.e. call foward it) and that call-forward when working
from home costs us more money (the call forward effectively incurs a work to
home call).

A lot of the advantages may be subtle and will take a while to become
obvious.

Cheers, Rob.

Old October 25th 05, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Blunt

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:20:44 +0100, "Greg" wrote:

Hi

I work for a company which has 40+ offices around the world. We have a
traditional "data network" with hubs in two centres. We have a fairly modern
PABX system which allows us to short dial to the other offices using a bit
of the data network. We're just about to completely re-vamp the data network
because we need more capacity. It would seem to me a good opportunity to
introduce Voip but our DP manager is saying that because we already have a
good PBX and the cost of calling around the world is going down there's no
good reason to consider it. Apart from the fact the rest of the world is
going Voip is there any compelling advantages to go VOIP ?

There's no easy answer to that. Companies like yours will only be
interesting in one thing - how much money it would save them.

Someone is going to have to do a proper analysis of where your
international calls are going and how much they are costing. Then find
out how much you will need to invest to carry those calls over your
own network, and how much expansion of the network capacity will be
required for that. You can then see if its worth doing, and what the
payback time will be on your investment.

Chris
Old October 25th 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

Hi Greg if what I read is correct you are allready combining your voice and
data.

We have a fairly modern
PABX system which allows us to short dial to the other offices using a bit
of the data network. We're just about to completely re-vamp the data

network
because we need more capacity.

It would seem to me a good opportunity to introduce Voip

It sounds likes you are already muxing it now

but our DP manager is saying that because we already have a
good PBX and the cost of calling around the world is going down there's no
good reason to consider it. Apart from the fact the rest of the world is
going Voip is there any compelling advantages to go VOIP ?

Not realy , Its down to a cost comparison. If your inter office spending is
more than the cost of implementation over a defined time then may be. But to
try and save on international voice calls its a yes, no answer depending on
the destination but more than likely its a no.

Ian

Old October 27th 05, 12:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
RH

"Greg" wrote in message
Hi

I work for a company which has 40+ offices around the world. We have a
traditional "data network" with hubs in two centres. We have a fairly
modern PABX system which allows us to short dial to the other offices
using a bit of the data network. We're just about to completely re-vamp
the data network because we need more capacity. It would seem to me a good
opportunity to introduce Voip but our DP manager is saying that because we
already have a good PBX and the cost of calling around the world is going
down there's no good reason to consider it. Apart from the fact the rest
of the world is going Voip is there any compelling advantages to go VOIP ?

Some of the benefits are not related to VOIP directly but the side effects
of having a modern IP PBX

With higher end phnes you can have a central xml address box, or even phone
from outlook contacts
Advanced configuration of queues and ring groupsand divertions
more flexible voicemail configs (send via email)
ability to work from home without seperate phone lines

A lot of this can be done with existing PBX system, but if your using a
fairly old system the added functionality that using something like asterisk
can give you is amazing