A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) (uk.telecom.voip) Discussion of topics relevant to packet based voice technologies including Voice over IP (VoIP), Fax over IP (FoIP), Voice over Frame Relay (VoFR), Voice over Broadband (VoB) and Voice on the Net (VoN) as well as service providers, hardware and software for use with these technologies. Advertising is not allowed.

Voipfone: Calls to landline LCRs now inaccessible



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 26th 05, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,037
Default Voipfone: Calls to landline LCRs now inaccessible

Voipfone now appears to be blocking calls to 0808s for 18866,1899 and
18185.
I can understand why they are doing it but, unless they have some
customers that are locked into them, I don't see how this
anti-competitive move can benefit them - people can just use other
voip services. I suppose it just reduces the options.
Wouldn't voipfone make something off the calls to the 0808s which they
are now losing?

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
  #2  
Old October 26th 05, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 802
Default Voipfone: Calls to landline LCRs now inaccessible

Brian A wrote:
Wouldn't voipfone make something off the calls to the 0808s which they
are now losing?


If they are directly connected to BT (wholesale) they would make a small
amount - possibly not enough for them to justify the use of their
systems for this purpose though.

If they are indirectly connected (i.e. get connectivity through another
provider), then they might not see any money, or it might even cost them
to receive 0800/0808 calls.
  #3  
Old October 26th 05, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Linus Surguy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 42
Default Voipfone: Calls to landline LCRs now inaccessible

Paul Cupis wrote:

Brian A wrote:
Wouldn't voipfone make something off the calls to the 0808s which they
are now losing?


If they are directly connected to BT (wholesale) they would make a small
amount - possibly not enough for them to justify the use of their
systems for this purpose though.


This is not actually correct, certain classes of 0800/0808 are classified as
'indirect access' and OLO operators do not receive a payment for this type. The
call18866/finera sa/connect telecom access numbers all fall into this category
and so the carrier operating these will receive nothing but still have to pay
for the equipment carrying the call.

Linus


--
Linus Surguy - Magrathea Telecommunications Ltd. Wholesale and retail telephone
services. www.magrathea-telecom.co.uk www.uknumber.co.uk www.callthrough.co.uk
www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!
  #4  
Old October 26th 05, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Cupis
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 802
Default Voipfone: Calls to landline LCRs now inaccessible

Linus Surguy wrote:
Paul Cupis wrote:
Brian A wrote:
Wouldn't voipfone make something off the calls to the 0808s which they
are now losing?


If they are directly connected to BT (wholesale) they would make a small
amount - possibly not enough for them to justify the use of their
systems for this purpose though.


This is not actually correct, certain classes of 0800/0808 are classified as
'indirect access' and OLO operators do not receive a payment for this type. The
call18866/finera sa/connect telecom access numbers all fall into this category
and so the carrier operating these will receive nothing but still have to pay
for the equipment carrying the call.


You're right, of course. I didn't check what specific number ranges
Finera were using.
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SMS to landline calls - blackout period settings? John Geddes uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 8 December 4th 05 09:01 PM
voipfone.co.uk, incoming calls sean uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 8 September 7th 05 08:18 PM
Cheap calls from Germany (landline) to any Sipgate number Philippe Deleye uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 0 June 17th 05 03:26 PM
Calls to Spanish landline cuts out after 30 secs or so Lee uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 3 May 31st 05 06:16 PM
adsl line, static IP and possibly free UK and local landline calls bobing about uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 2 October 3rd 04 04:42 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.