Skype bypasses proxy

Old October 28th 05, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
saf

Default Skype bypasses proxy

Can somebody explain to me why our firewall logs are full of entries
from skype clients even when they're not being used. The program tries
to connect directly to several sites :
lutn.cable.ntl.com
newt.blueyonder.co.uk
quicknet.nl
onocable.ono.com
webspeed.dk
etc...

Is this a threat to the security of the client ?
If it is can it be stopped ?

Thanks in advance.

Old October 28th 05, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Because Skype is peer to peer so even when your not using your
bandwidth other Skype users are.

Old October 28th 05, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Sparks

wrote in message
ups.com...
Because Skype is peer to peer so even when your not using your
bandwidth other Skype users are.

What for?

Shurely, if someone calls another Skype user, the traffic will go directly
from A-B?

Sparks...

Old October 28th 05, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Well you would have thought so. Nobody knows how Skype truely works
apart from Skype as its closed source. Additionally the traffic is
encryted. However the perceived wisdom I have read online is that it
consumes your bandwidth for stuff other than your own use. If you look
into it more closely there are Skype users who are nodes and super
nodes. If you have become a super node then ordinary uses will be using
some of your bandwidth to register with skype.

Take a look at this

http://arxiv.org/ftp/cs/papers/0412/0412017.pdf

I choose not to run skype as I dont trust software that is allowed to
take over my bandwidth for other users.

Old October 28th 05, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
oups.com
Well you would have thought so. Nobody knows how Skype
truely works apart from Skype as its closed source.
Additionally the traffic is encryted. However the
perceived wisdom I have read online is that it consumes
your bandwidth for stuff other than your own use. If you
look into it more closely there are Skype users who are
nodes and super nodes. If you have become a super node
then ordinary uses will be using some of your bandwidth
to register with skype.

Take a look at this

http://arxiv.org/ftp/cs/papers/0412/0412017.pdf

I choose not to run skype as I dont trust software that
is allowed to take over my bandwidth for other users.

Cobblers. How can an ordinary end user's bandwidth be used for anything
except communications between that user and their ISP..?

Ivor

Old October 28th 05, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Steven Sumpter

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:00:04 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com
Well you would have thought so. Nobody knows how Skype
truely works apart from Skype as its closed source.
Additionally the traffic is encryted. However the
perceived wisdom I have read online is that it consumes
your bandwidth for stuff other than your own use. If you
look into it more closely there are Skype users who are
nodes and super nodes. If you have become a super node
then ordinary uses will be using some of your bandwidth
to register with skype.

Take a look at this

http://arxiv.org/ftp/cs/papers/0412/0412017.pdf

I choose not to run skype as I dont trust software that
is allowed to take over my bandwidth for other users.

Cobblers. How can an ordinary end user's bandwidth be used for anything
except communications between that user and their ISP..?

Ivor

These are from the skype knowledgebase:
----------------------
Is Skype secure?

Yes. When you call another Skype user your call is encrypted with strong
encryption algorithms ensuring you privacy. In some cases your Skype
communication may be routed via other users in the peer-to-peer network.
Skype encryption protects you from potential eavesdropping from malicious
users.
----------------------
Skype is encrypted end-to-end because it uses the public Internet to
transport your voice calls and text messages and sometimes these calls are
routed through other peers. Skype encryption ensures that no other party
can eavesdrop on your call or read your instant messages.
---------------------

It would seem from the above that your calls are likely to go via another
users copy of skype, and therefore that your copy of skype may route calls
between other users. The faq also mentions that the directory is stored
in a p2p network and that the background traffic for this is about 0.5KB/s.

Steve.

Old October 28th 05, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Check your facts:

1, Calls are direct A - B

2. IM are direct A - B

3. If you are a super node then you are used by Skype for helping to
register other users and to maintain presence.

You can become a supernode if you have a publicly available IP.

Old October 28th 05, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

No calls are *ALWAYS* from point A to B direct. However the presence
and registration traffic can go via supernodes.

Old October 28th 05, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Steven Sumpter" wrote in message
news
[snip]

It would seem from the above that your calls are likely
to go via another users copy of skype, and therefore that
your copy of skype may route calls between other users.
The faq also mentions that the directory is stored in a
p2p network and that the background traffic for this is
about 0.5KB/s.

Steve.

Fair enough, I only ever fire it up if I specifically want to talk to
someone who I know uses it, I never leave it running.

Ivor