Receiving a fax over a SIP trunk

Old October 28th 05, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Sparks

Default Receiving a fax over a SIP trunk

Okay, I have asked this before, somewhere, and I think I got an answer, but
I'm buggered if I can find it anywhere!

I would like to dedicate one SIP trunk as an incoming fax line - how do I
tell [email protected] to answer the calls received on this trunk with the fax
machine!?

Ta, and sorry if you have already told me (where!?)

Sparks...

Old October 28th 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Sparks" wrote in message

Okay, I have asked this before, somewhere, and I think I
got an answer, but I'm buggered if I can find it anywhere!

I would like to dedicate one SIP trunk as an incoming fax
line - how do I tell [email protected] to answer the calls
received on this trunk with the fax machine!?

Ta, and sorry if you have already told me (where!?)

Sparks...

What SIP provider..? Not all support T38, which is required for reliable
fax.

Ivor

Old October 28th 05, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Sparks

What SIP provider..? Not all support T38, which is required for reliable
fax.

Ivor

Your favourite one :-)

Old October 28th 05, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Sparks wrote:
|| Okay, I have asked this before, somewhere, and I think I got an
|| answer, but I'm buggered if I can find it anywhere!
|| I would like to dedicate one SIP trunk as an incoming fax line - how
|| do I tell [email protected] to answer the calls received on this trunk
|| with the fax machine!?
|| Ta, and sorry if you have already told me (where!?)
|| Sparks...

You keep asking questions I've always meant to ask!
I've been wondering the same thing. I don't think it's been asked & answered
in this group before.

I'll be keen to see an answer to this question though..........& I'll ask
one you haven't yet, shortly ;-)

Old October 28th 05, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Sparks

You keep asking questions I've always meant to ask!
I've been wondering the same thing. I don't think it's been asked &
answered in this group before.

I'll be keen to see an answer to this question though..........& I'll ask
one you haven't yet, shortly ;-)

Ya never know, maybe I haven asked because I know ! ;-)

Old October 28th 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Sparks wrote:
||| You keep asking questions I've always meant to ask!
||| I've been wondering the same thing. I don't think it's been asked &
||| answered in this group before.
||| I'll be keen to see an answer to this question though..........& I'll
||| ask one you haven't yet, shortly ;-)
|| Ya never know, maybe I haven asked because I know ! ;-)

Hope so.

Old October 29th 05, 12:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Sparks" wrote in message

Okay, I have asked this before, somewhere, and I think I
got an answer, but I'm buggered if I can find it anywhere!

I would like to dedicate one SIP trunk as an incoming fax
line - how do I tell [email protected] to answer the calls
received on this trunk with the fax machine!?

Ta, and sorry if you have already told me (where!?)

Sparks...

What SIP provider..? Not all support T38, which is required for reliable
fax.

I didnt realise that any Visps were running T38 gateways intercepting calls
to be retransmitted using T38, Which ones are ? I assume you have to tell
them that you have a T38 terminal at your end as they cant just intercept
all fax calls and retransmit them as T38.
Can you post details of who is doing this ?

Old October 29th 05, 12:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"Sparks" wrote in message
.. .
Okay, I have asked this before, somewhere, and I think I got an answer,

but
I'm buggered if I can find it anywhere!

I would like to dedicate one SIP trunk as an incoming fax line - how do I
tell [email protected] to answer the calls received on this trunk with the fax
machine!?

Ta, and sorry if you have already told me (where!?)

Sparks...

On Vanilla * its

;detects fax and passes it to hylafax server

exten = fax,1,Dial(SIP/faxexten,30,t,r)

exten = fax,2,Hangup

exten = fax,102,Hangup

Put in the relevent context. This passes fax calls to my seperate fax server
to be dealt with over a Cisco ATA ( As it supports fax (ish)).

Ian

Old October 29th 05, 02:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Sparks" wrote in message

What SIP provider..? Not all support T38, which is
required for reliable fax.

Ivor

Your favourite one :-)

You can say the name, I won't bite, my name isn't Dexter..!

No, Sipgate does not currently support T38. This is stated on their help
pages.

Ivor

Old October 29th 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Ivor Jones wrote:
||| Your favourite one :-)
|| You can say the name, I won't bite, my name isn't Dexter..!
|| No, Sipgate does not currently support T38. This is stated on their
|| help pages.
|| Ivor

Faxes work, though.