Advice on VOIP router

Old October 29th 05, 01:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alex

Default Advice on VOIP router

I'm currently using a router with an ATA attached to one of its ports. Its
quite bad, no QOS and the router has about died. So its time for a new
router and I want to get one with built in VOIP.

Has anyone any recommendations? I need a 4 port wireless router, for use
with cable so no ADSL ones. The ability for it to be able to give enough QOS
for voice when heavy downloads are going on is *extremely* important. I
cannot control when my housemates download from bit-torrent and currently
the VOIP is useless when they are doing so. I have a grandstream 486 which
is meant to do QOS if its put infront of the router, but it does a pants job
and keeps crashing even on the newest firmware (so I changed it to be a
slave off one of the router ports).

I've looked at an unlocked Linksys WRT54GP but it seems that as it is
unlocked there is no firmware upgrade and support for it. I've also looked
at the Draytek 2100VG as that seems fairly well thought of in this group
however it seems very expensive (approx £100) for what seems a relatively
basic router (ie no print server or QOS settings), plus the draytek website
seems slightly unprofessional and the fact its only avaliable from a select
few places (not ebuyer, dabs, maplin, pcworld where you would normally find
a well known product) does worry me slightly.

Any advice would be welcome, especially if you've used it whilst having a
torrent downloading, as our uplink cable bandwidth is like gold dust and the
router will need to fight for it!

Ta

Old October 29th 05, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Philippe Deleye"
wrote in message

"Alex" wrote in message

Has anyone any recommendations? I need a 4 port
wireless router, for use with cable so no ADSL ones.
The ability for it to be able to give enough QOS for
voice when heavy downloads are going on is *extremely*
important. I cannot control when my housemates download
from bit-torrent and currently the VOIP is useless when
they are doing so.

Have a look at the Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7050 from AVM
(www.avm.de)
This device is a combined ADSL Modem + Router + WLAN +
PABX + VOIP
You can desable the ADSL Modem, thus using as a router
only (after a Cable modem)
It works perfect here, with 6 SIP accounts registered ...
The Box has a analogue and ISDN incoming port, and 3
analogue + ISDN out 2 LAN connections (you need a switch
if you need 4) + USB + WLAN

I believe this will solve your problems !

Philippe
Belgium
SIP:

Not a good idea to publish your number on here, Phillippe..!

BTW use
www.avm.de/en if you want the site in English :-)

Agreed an excellent piece of kit, although mine isn't the wireless
version.

Ivor

Old October 30th 05, 01:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

Draytek is 'office quality' kit, hence not cheap.
You can get them from broadbanduyer.co.uk (£95.10), wireless4u.co.uk and
quite few other online stores.
But you can find them on Ebay at half price, which is how I bought mine. My
previous 2600We hasn't missed a bit for two years, so I was confident the
newer 2600VG will be OK, and it is.
The 2100VG is bit rare, but there is 2900VG on sale right now.
Regards,
Martin

Old October 30th 05, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ben Jones

"Alex" wrote in message
[...]

I've got a Vigor 2100VG and have been using it for about 6 months. Updated
it to the latest firmware the other day (very easy task) though there were
no problems with the old firmware that I noticed. QOS is fine...I'm on 2Mb
Blueyonder and never have any problems with calls, even with Limewire
running at full pelt. Call quality is fantastic, networking is fantastic,
it's a great piece of kit! I'd say the wireless signal is slightly weaker
than my old access point that I replaced with the Draytek but it covers my
house and garden without problems. If there were problems it's got a
removable aerial so an aerial with a better gain could be used.

If I needed to buy a wireless router with VoIP capabilities again I wouldn't
hesitate to buy the Draytek again.

Hope this helps )

Ben