Complete Voip newbie question

Old October 30th 05, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Complete Voip newbie question

Sorry if this seems really dumb and it's possibly been answered
before.

I need only basic Voip facilities and I'm looking at the handsets sold
by Maplin (for example) that just plug into the USB port. I have an
ADSL modem (rather than a router) that's on a 2M connection.

Maplin suggests Skype as a provider and indeed I've looked at that,
but what other options do I have with this simple setup? Most of the
other Voip websites I've looked at make no mention at all of these
USB handsets and seem to imply that much more expensive hardware is
needed.

What are my best options? Again, sorry for such an elementary
question!

Regards

--
John Gruffydd (Mold, Wales, UK)
Old October 30th 05, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message
news
Sorry if this seems really dumb and it's possibly been
answered before.

I need only basic Voip facilities and I'm looking at the
handsets sold by Maplin (for example) that just plug into
the USB port. I have an ADSL modem (rather than a router)
that's on a 2M connection.

Maplin suggests Skype as a provider and indeed I've
looked at that, but what other options do I have with
this simple setup? Most of the other Voip websites I've
looked at make no mention at all of these USB handsets
and seem to imply that much more expensive hardware is
needed.

What are my best options? Again, sorry for such an
elementary question!

It all depends what you want from VoIP.

If all you want is to be able to chat for free to a few mates and you
don't mind putting up with the limitations of USB devices (i.e. PC needing
to be on all the time) then Skype is fine.

If on the other hand you want more, such as an effective second line with
the ability to use an ordinary phone on the end of it then USB is fairly
limiting. An external device such as a Sipura 2100 or similar will plug
into an ADSL router and allow you to use any SIP based service like
Sipgate, Gradwell, Free World Dialup etc. with an ordinary phone.
Depending on the provider you choose, you can have a geographic or an 0870
phone number free or for a very cheap charge and call charges to other
users of the system are free. Calls to normal phones are also very cheap,
but rates do vary.

There are plenty of options to choose from so do some homework before you
spend any serious money.

Ivor

Old October 30th 05, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stickems.

You could download a free softphone program and buy a headset from the pound
shop, sign up to 18866.com or 1899.com and away you go.

news | Sorry if this seems really dumb and it's possibly been answered

Old October 30th 05, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Stickems." wrote in message
eenews.net
You could download a free softphone program and buy a
headset from the pound shop, sign up to 18866.com or
1899.com and away you go.

You could learn to bottom post, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ivor
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old October 30th 05, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 19:16:07 -0000, "Stickems."
wrote:

You could download a free softphone program and buy a headset from the pound
shop, sign up to 18866.com or 1899.com and away you go.

That seems an odd way to go if using a softphone.
Better to sign up with a provider such as voipcheap I would have
thought. Currently UK landline calls are free.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.