USB phone rubbish!

Old October 31st 05, 05:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
OM

Default USB phone rubbish!

I've just got a USB phone.
And it's rubbish!
OK... I can hear the other person and the other person can hear me.
But the sound uality is amazingly poor.
The make of the phone is Waitec... but I've seeen several phones
exactly the same looking under different badges.

Is it just that I have a bad phone, or are they all like this?

Thanks.

OM

Old October 31st 05, 07:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On 30 Oct 2005 21:04:39 -0800, "OM" wrote:

Is it just that I have a bad phone, or are they all like this?

its not a phone, now is it. Its a USB sound card device. So the
quality of sound may be as much to do with the software and service
you are using as with the audio interface you have added. What are
they ?

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old October 31st 05, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
OM

its not a phone, now is it. Its a USB sound card device. So the
quality of sound may be as much to do with the software and service
you are using as with the audio interface you have added. What are
they ?

hmmm... well i'm using skype.
the phone: you just plug it in and away you go! no other software or
drivers needed.
(there is another bit of software that you can have that connects the
phone to skype.)

the machine i have is a dell p4 with standard sound card.

Old October 31st 05, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On 31 Oct 2005 06:23:45 -0800, "OM" wrote:

hmmm... well i'm using skype.
the phone: you just plug it in and away you go! no other software or
drivers needed.

other than skype, presumably.

The crappy audio is probably down to the weak bandwidth used by skype.

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old October 31st 05, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Nick

"OM" wrote in message
ups.com...
its not a phone, now is it. Its a USB sound card device. So the
quality of sound may be as much to do with the software and service
you are using as with the audio interface you have added. What are
they ?

hmmm... well i'm using skype.
the phone: you just plug it in and away you go! no other software or
drivers needed.
(there is another bit of software that you can have that connects the
phone to skype.)

the machine i have is a dell p4 with standard sound card.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

Phil explained that you have a USB sound card.

Old October 31st 05, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
themgt

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 21:04:39 -0800, OM wrote:

I've just got a USB phone.
And it's rubbish!
OK... I can hear the other person and the other person can hear me.
But the sound uality is amazingly poor.
The make of the phone is Waitec... but I've seeen several phones
exactly the same looking under different badges.

Is it just that I have a bad phone, or are they all like this?

I've got a Yamamoto badged one connected to the kids' machine and it's
working fine. The only software that came with it was for Skype but
http://www.yealink.com/english/support.htm has software for X-lite,
Voipbuster and Net2Phone. I've seen the same phone badged as Yamamoto, US
Robotics, Waitec and Yealink.
Old October 31st 05, 07:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Westwell

No they are not all like this, you have to be very careful....

I can recommend two USB devices, the first is a hardwired CyberphoneK
(www.voipvoice.com) and the second a DECT cordless USB phone primarily aimed
at Skype called the Dualphone (www.dualphone.net). I also use a USB
plantronics headset (USB45 I think).

Using either of these devices on a Skype to Skype call the audio quality is
awesome, I have heard nothing in 25 years of telecoms that comes close....
yet! The Dualphone in particular is so good and does 16kbit sampling.

I have bog standard onboard USB2 ports on both Asrock and gigabyte
motherboards.

Regards,

Paul

oups.com...

Old October 31st 05, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Westwell

What crappy bandwidth are you referring to ?

Do you know what bandwidth skype uses, what CODECS?

Regards,

Paul

Old October 31st 05, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Paul Westwell

If the Waitec is the Yamamoto then I have played with one of these devices.

Compared to another hardwired USB phone like the CyberphoneK using Skype
then if I rated the Cyberphone 10/10 I would give the Yamamoto 5/10.

I did exchange a number of emails with Yamamoto on this subject some three
months ago and gave the phone away eventually as the audio was disappointing
when compared to what I had become used to.

Regards,

Paul

news

Old October 31st 05, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:28:14 GMT, "Paul Westwell"
wrote:

What crappy bandwidth are you referring to ?
Do you know what bandwidth skype uses

when I attempted to use it the bandwidth it used was about 6-8 kbits/s
it was like using a phone with one of the wires intermittently
disconnecting.

At least if something that uses 100 kbits/s hits a rough patch on the
internet there are plenty of packets getting through to make the call
workable. Start off with a weak little data stream and you don't have
to lose much for it to be rubbish, and rubbish it was.

what CODECS?

whatever proprietary thing it uses, it offers no obvious options.

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))