"Virtual" geographic phone number without line - possible?

Old November 2nd 05, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Brian

Default "Virtual" geographic phone number without line - possible?

[uk.telecom.voip added]

On 2005-11-01, Joe Harrison wrote:

"Brian" wrote in message

May I also point out that if you have a static IP you could benefit from
forwarding the number directly to your VoIP device and cut out any
reliance on your provider.

How do you do that... does it imply having to open firewall ports if so
which ones?

Enter a username in your soft/hard phone or use the existing one on a
line which is already registered. Point the phone number to

[email protected]_IP_number

Or, if you have your own domain

[email protected]_domain

I'm behind NAT and opening port 5060 is sufficient for me.

Brian.
Old November 2nd 05, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Red Dave

[uk.telecom.voip added]

On 2005-11-01, Joe Harrison wrote:

"Brian" wrote in message

May I also point out that if you have a static IP you could benefit from
forwarding the number directly to your VoIP device and cut out any
reliance on your provider.

How do you do that... does it imply having to open firewall ports if so
which ones?

Enter a username in your soft/hard phone or use the existing one on a
line which is already registered. Point the phone number to

[email protected]_IP_number

Or, if you have your own domain

[email protected]_domain

I'm behind NAT and opening port 5060 is sufficient for me.

Brian.

Thanks Brian!

I'll give it a try once I'm fully set-up. I do like the idea of peeling
back the layers (isn't that a strapline for an airline...?!)

Also, have a look at e164.org

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
16:41:05 up 8 days, 20:15, 3 users, load average: 0.61, 0.58, 0.40

Also, have a look at e164.org

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
16:41:05 up 8 days, 20:15, 3 users, load average: 0.61, 0.58, 0.40
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

Ah, e164.org.....!

I want to build an Asterisk box at some point (now this is uk.telecoms.voip
stuff) and I'd love to have e164.org integration built in, but that's for
another day...! Small steps first ;-)