PAP2: sounds fine to me, but others say I'm quiet!

Old November 7th 05, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter X

Default PAP2: sounds fine to me, but others say I'm quiet!

Hi all,

Is there a way I can boost the volume of my speech through my PAP2? When
I call people, they sound fine to me, but they say I sound a bit
quiet/faint.

If it makes any odds, this is via Sipgate.

--
Cheers!

Peter.
Old November 7th 05, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Max Power

wrote:

Hmmm say no more .

I wish you would take your own advice.
Old November 7th 05, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
sean

Max Power wrote:
wrote:

Hmmm say no more .

I wish you would take your own advice.

Yes, get a life
Old November 7th 05, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter X

Peter X wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a way I can boost the volume of my speech through my PAP2? When
I call people, they sound fine to me, but they say I sound a bit
quiet/faint.

If it makes any odds, this is via Sipgate.

To answer my own question, on the "regional" page with "advanced view"
on, near the bottom of the page are "miscellaneous" settings. I have
changed the "FXS Port Input Gain" setting from the default of -3 to 6.

This *seems* to fix the problem!

Although if anyone more qualified than myself could confirm this is
correct, I'd appreciate it.

According to the Sipura manual[1], this setting contains "Valid values
are 6.0 to –infinity. Up to 3 decimal places" so I guessed "6" would be
a good figure to start with, and it seems just fine.

Out of interest, does anyone know what the "FXS Port Impedance" setting
does? The Sipura manual says "Electrical impedance of the FXS port"...
but this means nothing to me!!

Anyways, thanks for all the [ahem] help!!

[1] http://www.sipura.com/Documents/Sipu...uidev2.0.9.pdf

--
Peter.
Old November 7th 05, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter X

After reading more info from he
http://voxilla.com/forum-viewtopic-t...-regional.html

I've reset my "FXS Port Input Gain" back to "-3" and instead changed my
"FXS Port Impedance" to "370+620||310nF" which also seems to work just fine!

--
Cheers!

Peter.
Old November 8th 05, 12:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote in message

[snip]

Hmmm say no more .

If only you would...

Ivor

Old November 8th 05, 12:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Peter X" wrote in message

[snip]

Out of interest, does anyone know what the "FXS Port
Impedance" setting does? The Sipura manual says
"Electrical impedance of the FXS port"... but this means
nothing to me!!

It sets the FXS (phone) port to suit phones used in whatever country
you're in. 270+750||150nF is correct for UK phones. 600 is correct for the
USA.

Note that this setting is to suit the phone itself not the actual country
you're in. If you take a UK phone with you to the USA you'd leave the
setting as it is, you'd only change it to 600 if you wanted to plug a US
phone in.

Ivor

Old November 9th 05, 07:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PeterW

Peter X wrote in
:

After reading more info from he
http://voxilla.com/forum-viewtopic-t...-regional.html

I've reset my "FXS Port Input Gain" back to "-3" and instead changed
my "FXS Port Impedance" to "370+620||310nF" which also seems to work
just fine!

Yes, this is the correct complex impedance to use for the UK. Other
settings can reduce gain and can result in greater echo due to impedance
mismatch.

FWIW on my two Sipura ATA's I have the input gain set to +3dB and output
gain set to -6dB.

Peter