7960 hanging on 'Configuring IP'

Old November 7th 05, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default 7960 hanging on 'Configuring IP'

Hi all,

I bought a refurbished 7960 IP phone on Ebay.com which I recieved today.
Plugged it in
both on network and power, message about VLAN comes up: so far so good ...
Then it
stucks at Configuring IP ... runs for long time, no time out nothing, but in
the mean while I
cannot access the phone either ... does anyone have a tip to hard reset the
phone to
factory default of how I can find out which TFTP server it tries to find?
(as far as I can see in my DHCP server it has aquiered an ip adress) but
also the
webserver on the ipphone is not accessable.

thanks in advance for any reply!

//H

Old November 7th 05, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
stephen

"[email protected]" wrote in message
Hi all,

I bought a refurbished 7960 IP phone on Ebay.com which I recieved today.
Plugged it in
both on network and power, message about VLAN comes up: so far so good ...
Then it
stucks at Configuring IP ... runs for long time, no time out nothing, but

in
the mean while I
cannot access the phone either ... does anyone have a tip to hard reset

the
phone to
factory default of how I can find out which TFTP server it tries to find?
(as far as I can see in my DHCP server it has aquiered an ip adress) but
also the
webserver on the ipphone is not accessable.

cisco phones can run several different types of code - at least SIP, MGCP
and a Call Manager proprietary one called "skinny"

you need to know which type and the version

the good news is all the cisco docs are on their web site.

this one might help you get started:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...8009485a.shtml

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl

Old November 7th 05, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
TrippyZ

You need to get tcpdump running so you can see exactly what the phone
is waiting for. I had just this message today, it proved to be a
faulty patch cable.

Additionally, although I am not the comms expert at our site, I was not
aware that it had a web interface. Are you sure it should?

Chris

Old November 7th 05, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"TrippyZ" schreef in bericht
oups.com...
Additionally, although I am not the comms expert at our site, I was not
aware that it had a web interface. Are you sure it should?

no

Old November 7th 05, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
themgt

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 19:21:56 +0000, stephen wrote:

[...]

If you look at the right end of the black bar along the top of the phone
display it'll show SIP, a litle phone (MGCP) or blank (skinny).
Hopefully it'll say SIP.
The version can be found on the phone menu under Status--Firmware
Versions

Old November 7th 05, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
themgt

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:06:04 +0100, wrote:

Hi all,

I bought a refurbished 7960 IP phone on Ebay.com which I recieved today.
Plugged it in
both on network and power, message about VLAN comes up: so far so good ...
Then it
stucks at Configuring IP ... runs for long time, no time out nothing, but in
the mean while I
cannot access the phone either ... does anyone have a tip to hard reset the
phone to
factory default of how I can find out which TFTP server it tries to find?

Look at the phone menu under 'Network'

(as far as I can see in my DHCP server it has aquiered an ip adress) but
also the
webserver on the ipphone is not accessable.

It doesn't have a web interface, only telnet and then only if it's been
enabled.

Old November 7th 05, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"themgt" schreef in bericht
news
If you look at the right end of the black bar along the top of the phone
display it'll show SIP, a litle phone (MGCP) or blank (skinny).
Hopefully it'll say SIP.
The version can be found on the phone menu under Status--Firmware
Versions

I connected the phone to another webrouter (not connected to internet) but
with a
DHCP server and now I still only get the startupscreen with a TFTP Error,
still
no access to the menu's of the phone ... No sign of any of the 3 possible
versions, how can I find that out? (the **# function as described in the
Cisco
documentation doesn't do anything either ...)
Is it maybe that this phone always needs a TFTP server to download the
config
files each time it starts up? If so ... how can I change that?

//H

Old November 7th 05, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
themgt

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 00:00:33 +0100, wrote:

"themgt" schreef in bericht
news
[...]

OK, try switching it on with ethernet disconnected. On my 7940 I get an
ethernet disconnected message and then pressing the menu button works OK.
I have the SIP firmware though, I can't remember if this worked with
the SCCP firmware.
Old November 8th 05, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"themgt" schreef in bericht
news
OK, try switching it on with ethernet disconnected. On my 7940 I get an
ethernet disconnected message and then pressing the menu button works OK.
I have the SIP firmware though, I can't remember if this worked with
the SCCP firmware.

thanks, it seems that my phone has no firmware at all, this concluded after
the phone
doesn't show anything else then only the startup screen ...

does anyone have a 'cheap' location for the sip firmware?

//H

Old November 8th 05, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ian

"[email protected]" wrote in message

"themgt" schreef in bericht
news
OK, try switching it on with ethernet disconnected. On my 7940 I get an
ethernet disconnected message and then pressing the menu button works

OK.
I have the SIP firmware though, I can't remember if this worked with
the SCCP firmware.

thanks, it seems that my phone has no firmware at all, this concluded

after
the phone
doesn't show anything else then only the startup screen ...

does anyone have a 'cheap' location for the sip firmware?

Try the person who sold you it, I assume it was sold as working wasnt it ?

Ian