Comparison of services

Old November 8th 05, 03:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Pratten

Default Comparison of services

Is there a site which compares services available from the different
VoIP networks?

I followed the link previously posted to
http://www.ourfavouritecompanies.com but it didn't cover the services,
more the rates and those were very out of date.
e.g. VoipCheap to France is now free but that site says it is 10.5p
--
Peter Pratten
Please reply in group only
Old November 8th 05, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joel

Peter Pratten wrote:
I followed the link previously posted to
http://www.ourfavouritecompanies.com but it didn't cover the services,
more the rates and those were very out of date.
e.g. VoipCheap to France is now free but that site says it is 10.5p
--
Peter Pratten
Please reply in group only

Looks like a bug in our software to me! I will have to investigate.
We will move to more frequent updates when we have finished writing our
auto-update scripts.
Meanwhile, you can try our rival site, the niftylist, at
http://www.niftylist.co.uk
(You could also look at discussion in their chat forum or on our google
group.)
Best wishes,
Joel Feinstein
--
Joel Feinstein, Nottingham UK, http://www.ourfavouritecompanies.com

Old November 9th 05, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Pratten

In article .com, Joel
writes
Peter Pratten wrote:
I followed the link previously posted to
http://www.ourfavouritecompanies.com but it didn't cover the services,
more the rates and those were very out of date.
e.g. VoipCheap to France is now free but that site says it is 10.5p
--
Peter Pratten
Please reply in group only

Looks like a bug in our software to me! I will have to investigate.
We will move to more frequent updates when we have finished writing our
auto-update scripts.

Good idea.

Meanwhile, you can try our rival site, the niftylist, at
http://www.niftylist.co.uk

Having a couple of rate sites is a good idea but does not cover what I
was looking for.

(You could also look at discussion in their chat forum or on our google
group.)

These are fine for getting updates and asking questions but take a lot
of searching for answers which may very well be listed somewhere.
Actually I was while trying it Internet Explorer fell over and closed
down :-(

What I am suggesting is a comparison table listing which providers:
use softphone;
use SIP phone and/or ATA;
interconnect peer-to-peer to other networks (I assume they all do to
their own - correct me if I'm wrong);
require a subscription;
provide phone out to PSTN networks;
provide free calls to UK phones (for other countries use the lists you
mentioned);
charge calls by credit/debit card;
charge calls by direct debit;
charge calls to a deposited amount.

You may think of a few other points. A single table kept up-to-date
would be easier to help choose which provider is most suitable, after
all call costs are not the only consideration.
--
Peter Pratten
Please reply in group only
Old November 10th 05, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Peter Pratten

In article , Peter Pratten
writes
Actually I was while trying it Internet Explorer fell over and closed
down :-(

What I am suggesting is a comparison table listing which providers:
use softphone;
use SIP phone and/or ATA;
interconnect peer-to-peer to other networks (I assume they all do to
their own - correct me if I'm wrong);
require a subscription;
provide phone out to PSTN networks;
provide free calls to UK phones (for other countries use the lists you
mentioned);
charge calls by credit/debit card;
charge calls by direct debit;
charge calls to a deposited amount.

You may think of a few other points. A single table kept up-to-date
would be easier to help choose which provider is most suitable, after
all call costs are not the only consideration.

I forgot to include:
provide incoming number -
is it free or on subscription,
is it 01/02, 05 07 or 08?