Voipfone PBX & Phones

Old November 9th 05, 12:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Voipfone PBX & Phones

i have been using the voipfone PBX for my business i have 5 extensions
and have been using the eye beam but i want to now start using hardware
phones

i have been looking at the sipura 841 and the snom 190 voipfone say
that the phones are all set up and ready to go when you get them so
setting them is is not going to be a problem

what i would like to know is if there is anyone else with a similar
setup to me and if so what would be better for business use the sipura
or the snom

i have had a good look at the phones http://www.voipfone.co.uk/shop.php
but i cant make a decision any help and advice would be appreciated

Old November 9th 05, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
keymaster

wrote in message
oups.com...
i have been using the voipfone PBX for my business i have 5 extensions
and have been using the eye beam but i want to now start using hardware
phones

i have been looking at the sipura 841 and the snom 190 voipfone say
that the phones are all set up and ready to go when you get them so
setting them is is not going to be a problem

what i would like to know is if there is anyone else with a similar
setup to me and if so what would be better for business use the sipura
or the snom

i have had a good look at the phones http://www.voipfone.co.uk/shop.php
but i cant make a decision any help and advice would be appreciated

Hi
Snom190 - I know I have said it many times ...but its faultless and worth
every penny. if anybody wants to buy any of the other cheaper immitations
(such as ip-talk) that I bought to try and save money, let me know :-)
cheers
Roy

Old November 10th 05, 02:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

David Knell wrote:
Actually, the SNOM 190 isn't faultless. We have a situation right now
where the SNOMs don't work reliably with Asterisk where Grandstreams
do. Here's a precis:
When a SIP phone registers with Asterisk, the exchange goes something
like this (ignoring the authentication stuff):
Asterisk Phone
REGISTER
TRYING
OK

If the OK packet gets lost (and this is SIP/UDP, so it might well be)
the
SNOM a) shows itself as not registered with the server, b) doesn't
accept
incoming calls [not surprising, given a)], c) does not attempt to
register
if an outbound call is made and d) does not retry the REGISTER until
5 minutes have passed.

Grandstreams behave a lot better. SNOMs behave better, too, if
Asterisk
is patched so as not to send the TRYING response.

I'd save a hundred quid and buy a Grandstream. Especially as the new
ones
don't look like they're designed for someone with poor eyesight..

Dave

--
David Knell
Low cost SIP-PSTN: http://www.telcr.com

From what i have read on the groups the grandstreams are budget phones

and most of the posts i have seen don't recommend them for business
most of the good feed back i have seen has been about the sipura's and
the snom's my problem is i cant decide what will be best for me

Roy you say that for you the snom has been faultless what provider do
you use it with ?

Old November 10th 05, 07:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
keymaster

wrote in message
ups.com...

David Knell wrote:
[...]

From what i have read on the groups the grandstreams are budget phones

and most of the posts i have seen don't recommend them for business
most of the good feed back i have seen has been about the sipura's and
the snom's my problem is i cant decide what will be best for me

Roy you say that for you the snom has been faultless what provider do
you use it with ?

Hi
I use Voipfone mostly, but not exclusively. I had grandstream as one of my
budget phones - worked ok but cheap and nasty looking and to the touch,
plastic was that thin that at night when phone rang whole phone lit up like
the bat phone on ancient batman series.
I use voiphone PBX and not asterisk so couldnt possibly deny above posters
claims.
cheers
Roy

Old November 10th 05, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Virgilio Lattanzi

David Knell wrote:
[...]
If the OK packet gets lost (and this is SIP/UDP, so it might well be)
the
SNOM a) shows itself as not registered with the server, b) doesn't
accept
incoming calls [not surprising, given a)], c) does not attempt to
register
if an outbound call is made and d) does not retry the REGISTER until
5 minutes have passed.

Grandstreams behave a lot better. SNOMs behave better, too, if
Asterisk
is patched so as not to send the TRYING response.

There's nothing to be patched on server side. According to RFC 3261,
17.1.2 a client needs to retransmit a request after 0.5s, 1s, 2s,
4s, 4s... until it gets a final response (200..699), regardless
the provisionals (1XX) already received.

If you are right, Snom are wrong and they need to fix it.
Did you check with the latest firmware release ?

Bye,

--
Virgilio Lattanzi HARPAX srl
Tel: +39 0733 818863 via Fontanella, 38
Old November 20th 05, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Rob Nicholson

Snom190 - I know I have said it many times ...but its faultless and worth
every penny. if anybody wants to buy any of the other cheaper immitations

This page http://www.provu.co.uk/snom190.html says it doesn't support
"H.323". What does this mean in English? :-)

Thanks, Rob.

Old November 20th 05, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Alexander Mann

Rob Nicholson wrote:
Snom190 - I know I have said it many times ...but its faultless and worth
every penny. if anybody wants to buy any of the other cheaper immitations

This page http://www.provu.co.uk/snom190.html says it doesn't support
"H.323". What does this mean in English? :-)

H.323 is another protocol, like SIP. Most services here are SIP based
(Voipfone, gradwell dot com, Gossiptel, VoIPtalk, etc all use SIP).

As others have said, the SNOM range is great. They're well made, well
featured, reliable, and easy to use to phones.

Alex
--
Alexander Mann
Telappliant Ltd