Signing up to sipgate

Old November 9th 05, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PL

Default Signing up to sipgate

Ok, so I admit to struggling a little with the VoIP way of things, but
could I do any worse that signing up to sipgate using one of their
pre-configured Grandstream BT-101 handsets?

I'm also not too sure about my other hardware either. My router is a
single port ethernet / USB modem linked to a 5 port desktop switch
serving my notebook and desktop with shared broadband. I imagine that
the handset will plug into the switch?

Please bear with me; I do structural engineering for a living and will
admit to being more comfortable with moments, universal beams and M16
bolts:-)
Old November 9th 05, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:41:52 +0000, PL
wrote:

Ok, so I admit to struggling a little with the VoIP way of things, but
could I do any worse that signing up to sipgate using one of their
pre-configured Grandstream BT-101 handsets?

depends what your objectives are, who you call, what features you need
(incoming number etc).

I set someone up with sipgate yesterday, its been a bit so-so thus
far.

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old November 9th 05, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PL

Phil Thompson wrote:

depends what your objectives are, who you call, what features you need
(incoming number etc).

I set someone up with sipgate yesterday, its been a bit so-so thus
far.

Phil

I need a portable contact number, portable in the sense that I expect to
be moving around for the next year or so, but want my regular callers to
dial up on the same geographical number, wherever I am.

I want good, reliable voicemail, but fax and call forwarding (if that's
not a contradiction) would be handy.

If I was pressed into giving the reasons why I'm looking for this
particular service, I'd say it was something to do with dealing life's
up and down, whilst trying to maintain a business with long-standing and
new clients alike; I don't want to be issuing a 'change of number'
every few months.
Old November 9th 05, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
PL wrote:
Ok, so I admit to struggling a little with the VoIP way of things, but
could I do any worse that signing up to sipgate using one of their
pre-configured Grandstream BT-101 handsets?

I'm also not too sure about my other hardware either. My router is a
single port ethernet / USB modem linked to a 5 port desktop switch
serving my notebook and desktop with shared broadband. I imagine that
the handset will plug into the switch?

I signed up to sipgate recently - only for a bit of fun and because
I had a spare Grandstream 102 handset - everything went OK, the
configuration was straightforward, but if you are getting one
pre-configured then I'd expect it to just plug in & go...

The 102 has a 2nd Ethernet port so you can connect it in-line to your PC,
BUT ... it's only a 10Mb switch inside! This would normally be no matter
unless you have servers in-house and you need vast quantities of data,
or have a broadband connection 10Mb/sec...

But if you have a spare port on your ethernet switch, which you indicate
is the case, then this won't be an issue for you.

I only use it for fun and testing other VoIP stuff, (and I can joke with
friends to call my Edinburgh office number when I live in Devon!) so
I've no idea how reliable they are for "proper" use...

Gordon
Old November 9th 05, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"PL" wrote in message

Ok, so I admit to struggling a little with the VoIP way
of things, but could I do any worse that signing up to
sipgate using one of their pre-configured Grandstream
BT-101 handsets?
I'm also not too sure about my other hardware either. My
router is a single port ethernet / USB modem linked to a
5 port desktop switch serving my notebook and desktop
with shared broadband. I imagine that the handset will
plug into the switch?

Yes it will. It has an RJ45 ethernet connection so you plug it in just
like any other hardware.

However, unless you are simply playing around, I would advise you go for
an ATA (analogue telephone adaptor) and use this with a normal phone
(either wired or cordless) rather than a dedicated IP phone. It will be
far more versatile and with the right choice of device would allow you to
access your normal fixed line and your VoIP line on the same handset.

My personal recommendation (in that I use one, I don't work for them..!)
is the AVM Fritz!Box Fon, this isn't the cheapest option but isn't the
most expensive either. It does have an ADSL modem built in, so you can't
use it with cable, but they do have a router-only version I believe. See
www.avm.de/en for info.

Please bear with me; I do structural engineering for a
living and will admit to being more comfortable with
moments, universal beams and M16 bolts:-)

Fair enough..!

Ivor

Old November 9th 05, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 19:50:49 +0000, PL
wrote:

I need a portable contact number, portable in the sense that I expect to
be moving around for the next year or so, but want my regular callers to
dial up on the same geographical number, wherever I am.

if you want it to reliably ring maybe sipgate's not the best.

Does sipgate usually generate a ringing tone, rather than a silence
followed by someone answering (current experience)

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old November 9th 05, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Phil Thompson" wrote in
message
wrote:

I need a portable contact number, portable in the sense
that I expect to be moving around for the next year or
so, but want my regular callers to dial up on the same
geographical number, wherever I am.

if you want it to reliably ring maybe sipgate's not the
best.

Does sipgate usually generate a ringing tone, rather than
a silence followed by someone answering (current
experience)

The ringing tone is generated by your equipment (ATA etc.) not Sipgate or
any other provider come to that.

There are a few reasons why sometimes you get no tone, but as with all
things VoIP without knowing the precise combination of settings and
when/how problems occur, it's difficult to lay blame in any one place.

Unless you're Dexter of course when it just *has* to be Sipgate's fault
(Sorry, I get crabby sometimes..!)

Ivor

Old November 10th 05, 08:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 23:41:23 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

The ringing tone is generated by your equipment (ATA etc.) not Sipgate or
any other provider come to that.

the *tone* obviously is, but what tells it to make the noise - sipgate
I assume ? Are you saying that sipgate does do ringing tone as
standard.

There are a few reasons why sometimes you get no tone, but as with all
things VoIP without knowing the precise combination of settings and
when/how problems occur, it's difficult to lay blame in any one place.

Linksys PAP2-NA to samsung DECT (ancient), dialling 10000 or a person
who isn't getting incoming calls get no ringing tone, to BT line or
your speaking clock (sipgate internal) get one.

Linksys setup default apart from account settings.

Phil

No more cable clowns :-))
Old November 10th 05, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Phil Thompson" wrote in
message
wrote:

The ringing tone is generated by your equipment (ATA
etc.) not Sipgate or any other provider come to that.

the *tone* obviously is, but what tells it to make the
noise - sipgate I assume ? Are you saying that sipgate
does do ringing tone as standard.

The actual tone you hear in your phone is generated locally if it is a SIP
to SIP call; if it is a call to PSTN then the tone generated by BT or
whoever is passed back through the system. Sipgate itself doesn't generate
a ringing tone, although the cause of that tone, i.e. a call waiting to be
answered, is of course signalled, presumably by a data packet, I don't
know enough about the SIP protocol to answer that one.

There are a few reasons why sometimes you get no tone,
but as with all things VoIP without knowing the precise
combination of settings and when/how problems occur,
it's difficult to lay blame in any one place.

Linksys PAP2-NA to samsung DECT (ancient), dialling 10000
or a person who isn't getting incoming calls get no
ringing tone, to BT line or your speaking clock (sipgate
internal) get one.

10000 won't generate ring tone, it is picked up straight away. Nor will
you get one to someone whose calls are going direct to voicemail due to
their system being offline, although you should get one if they don't pick
up for 20 seconds or whatever they've set it to.

You *probably* won't get ringing tone on my clock, as it picks up almost
intantaneously, you might get it if the line is in use, the system can
only handle one call at once; it's arranged so if it's busy you get
ringing tone until it becomes free (max. of 30 seconds) then it connects.

Email me off group and I'll give you another number to try. (ivor dot
g6urp dot gmail dot com).

Ivor

Old November 10th 05, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
PL

Ivor Jones wrote:

However, unless you are simply playing around, I would advise you go for
an ATA (analogue telephone adaptor) and use this with a normal phone
(either wired or cordless) rather than a dedicated IP phone. It will be
far more versatile and with the right choice of device...

Any suggestion here as well, please Ivor

PL

sipgate SK uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 0 September 8th 05 07:24 PM
OT sipgate Kali Vandenberg uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 1 September 7th 05 01:06 AM
Caller ID fails after signing up to BT Privacy Gel uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 July 22nd 05 11:48 PM
Clearing ADSL from line before signing up to new ISP - When? Duncan Masterman uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 May 24th 05 09:20 AM