1899

Old November 12th 05, 12:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris

Default 1899

why do they want a deposit if voip call are free and i have an
account. ??

Chris
Old November 12th 05, 03:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Chris wrote:
|| why do they want a deposit if voip call are free and i have an
|| account. ??
|| Chris

Erm..........to fund their operation?

Old November 12th 05, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Jono" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
why do they want a deposit if voip call are free and
i have an account. ??

Chris

Erm..........to fund their operation?

Sipgate don't seem to need a deposit if you don't want to call PSTN
numbers.

I have a spare account here which has never had any credit added and it
works fine for VoIP calls and calls to 0800 numbers. Incoming from PSTN as
well. I don't use it much, only if I want to test something and need a
spare number, but it's very handy when I do use it.

Ivor

Old November 12th 05, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Ivor Jones wrote:
||| Erm..........to fund their operation?
|| Sipgate don't seem to need a deposit if you don't want to call PSTN
|| numbers.
|| I have a spare account here which has never had any credit added and it
|| works fine for VoIP calls and calls to 0800 numbers. Incoming from
|| PSTN as well. I don't use it much, only if I want to test something
|| and need a spare number, but it's very handy when I do use it.
|| Ivor

Snap, however, I'm sure that whichever company wants a "deposit" it is top
up their coffers.

Old November 13th 05, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
wooosh

Snap, however, I'm sure that whichever company wants a "deposit" it is top
up their coffers.

Well, if you look at what VoIPbuster did (same company).

They offered free calls and required all acounts to be in credit for this.

After building up a large userbase they then started charging for UK calls.

It is anyones guess what the credit in all these accounts add up to.

so, think of it this way... you pay 5 which gives you calls until they
start charging, then you use your credit up.

Sneaky but smart business model.

Old November 13th 05, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"wooosh" wrote in message

[snip]

so, think of it this way... you pay 5 which gives you
calls until they start charging, then you use your credit
up.
Sneaky but smart business model.

And then they lose all their customers. Not so smart.

Ivor

Old November 14th 05, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Julius

why do they want a deposit if voip call are free and i have an
account. ??

Nothing is ever FREE, someone somewhere is paying for this 'test
period'

I don't see any refund mechanism, so you'll either have to use your
credit once 'free' calls end or loose it

I guess the idea is for you to use their service (test it in the
beginning) and at the end of the 'free' period, hopefully you'll remain
as a loyal customer

I have no complaints about this, it is nice while it lasts, then I also
have no problem continuing to use their service to use my credit or
indeed top it up, the service quality and reliability seem very good
indeed

The only confusion (not to them apparently) is the many business models
they've introduced, Voipbuster, Sipdiscount, Voipcheap, if they could
keep one product which allows softphone or hardware VOIP, it would be
much easier for everyone

Julius

Old November 14th 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Brian A

On 14 Nov 2005 14:18:35 -0800, "Julius" wrote:

[...]

If they offered a sip service, with an incoming number (could make a
small charge for a geographic if necessary), with free/minute UK
calls and a connection charge (say 4cents) it would be a winner. It
seems strange that they haven't tried that one yet. It obviously works
for them on a BT line so why not on voip?

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old November 20th 05, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Stickems.

I use softphone on 1899

oups.com...