Click-to-dial from Sipgate's on-line phonebook - does it work?!

Old November 12th 05, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Red Dave

Default Click-to-dial from Sipgate's on-line phonebook - does it work?!

Dear Group,

I have tried, without success to get Sipgate click-to-dial functionality to
work, namely, from the on-line account pages, you "can" click on Call
against any listed phone number (showing on either the Home, Calls or
Phonebook pages) and what should happen is that Sipgate's servers make a
call to your (currently registered) phone, and when answered it completes
the other half of the call to number selected. However, this isn't quite
what happens (for me at least!). What happens is:

1. Log in to my account page at www.sipgate.co.uk
2. Click on the "Call" link against the desired number (Sipgate's test
10000 number for example)
3. A new, small, Internet Explorer window opens and my phone rings.
4. I answer my phone and hear nothing.
5. The Internet Explorer window updates and displays "Fault. Incorrect
call".

I've tried this with X-Lite and now with my newly purchase Linksys PAP2. My
partner has also tried it from their Sipgate account.

I've also e-mailed Sipgate support both when I first had the problem and
again since the problem is continuing now that I've got a hardware adapter,
but, as yet, no luck there!

Does anyone else have the same problem? Has anyone else got it working and
knows a fix, or simply had it working for the start?

Thanks in advance,
Dave.

Old November 12th 05, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:47:49 -0000, "Red Dave"
wrote:

Has anyone else got it working and
knows a fix, or simply had it working for the start?

I've never tried it before, but your question prompted me to give it a
go.

Click the link, and the small window opens. The VOIP line rings. I
answer it. No ringing tone, nothing at all, but about three seconds
later the called number rings, and I answer it. Call working as
normal.
--
Visit the Hairydog Guide to Mobile Phones
http://www.hairydog.co.uk/cell1.html
Old November 12th 05, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Red Dave" wrote in
message
Dear Group,

I have tried, without success to get Sipgate
click-to-dial functionality to work, namely, from the
on-line account pages, you "can" click on Call against
any listed phone number (showing on either the Home,
Calls or Phonebook pages) and what should happen is that
Sipgate's servers make a call to your (currently
registered) phone, and when answered it completes the
other half of the call to number selected. However, this
isn't quite what happens (for me at least!).

[snip]

It's never worked for me, no idea why. It doesn't really bother me as it's
far easier simply to dial the number, given that my phones are on the
other side of the room from the PC..!

Ivor

Old November 13th 05, 12:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Martin²

hairydog:
Click the link, and the small window opens. The VOIP line rings. I
answer it. No ringing tone, nothing at all, but about three seconds
later the called number rings, and I answer it. Call working as
normal.

Never worked for me either. By coincidence I was trying it again this
afternoon.
I have one DECT phone connected to Draytek router way up in the attic.
If this worked as it should, it would allow me to make calls on line 2 using
phone on line 1,
which would be very useful (specially if I could get sipdiscount to work on
the draytek !)

What is your VoIP equipment please ?
Thanks,
Regards,
Martin

Old November 13th 05, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Red Dave

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Red Dave" wrote in
message
Dear Group,

I have tried, without success to get Sipgate
click-to-dial functionality to work, namely, from the
on-line account pages, you "can" click on Call against
any listed phone number (showing on either the Home,
Calls or Phonebook pages) and what should happen is that
Sipgate's servers make a call to your (currently
registered) phone, and when answered it completes the
other half of the call to number selected. However, this
isn't quite what happens (for me at least!).

[snip]

It's never worked for me, no idea why. It doesn't really bother me as it's
far easier simply to dial the number, given that my phones are on the
other side of the room from the PC..!

Ivor

Hmmm... so, one yes and two no's so far, this doesn't bode well! I guess
what would be most helpful is if there was someone else out there who didn't
have the functionality working, but has somehow managed to fix it. Should
it help, here's a little more detail about my set-up:

ADSL line - ADSL modem/router (Samsung)
- firewall/proxy (Smoothwall)
- hub (standard 8-port-nothing-fancy type)
- Linksys PAP2 ATA adapter
- conventional BT-style telephone.

Despite all the various layers of equipment(!), I am able to make and
receive calls via my telephone and my Sipgate account. Also, the fact that
Sipgates click-to-dial service rings my phone (as it did when I was using
X-Lite) also suggests to me that there's nothing wrong my end. It does seem
like a Sipgate problem to me...

Anyone?!!

Dave.

Old November 13th 05, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Red Dave" wrote in
message

[snip]

Despite all the various layers of equipment(!), I am able
to make and receive calls via my telephone and my Sipgate
account. Also, the fact that Sipgates click-to-dial
service rings my phone (as it did when I was using
X-Lite) also suggests to me that there's nothing wrong my
end. It does seem like a Sipgate problem to me...

I'm not sure about this. I have a friend who uses one of the Grandstream
phones and it works fine for him. It's just never worked for any of my
ATA's.

Ivor

Old November 13th 05, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 00:43:52 -0000, "Martin²" wrote:

What is your VoIP equipment please ?

An ATA box bought from Sipgate.

I forwarded the ports from the router, though (don't use the ATA as a
router) because although it worked without (presumably using uPnP) it
wasn't reliable.
Old November 13th 05, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Red Dave" wrote in
message

[snip]

Despite all the various layers of equipment(!), I am
able to make and receive calls via my telephone and my
Sipgate account. Also, the fact that Sipgates
click-to-dial service rings my phone (as it did when I
was using X-Lite) also suggests to me that there's
nothing wrong my end. It does seem like a Sipgate
problem to me...

I'm not sure about this. I have a friend who uses one of
the Grandstream phones and it works fine for him. It's
just never worked for any of my ATA's.

Ivor

In light of this thread, I've just done a few tests. I can call between my
own numbers fine using click to dial, but I tried two other people and it
failed both times. One of them obviously had the phone ring, becase a few
minutes afterwards I got a call back saying were you trying to call me..?!
He said when he answered he got nothing at all, which is exactly what I
got.

Very strange..

Ivor

Old November 13th 05, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Ivor Jones

wrote:

What is your VoIP equipment please ?

An ATA box bought from Sipgate.

Which one..?

I forwarded the ports from the router, though (don't use
the ATA as a router) because although it worked without
(presumably using uPnP) it wasn't reliable.

Some devices do seem to like this. I had a combination once that flatly
refused to work until I put the ATA in the router's DMZ, no matter what
STUN or forwarding settings I used.

I'm using the AVM Fritz!Box Fon (also from Sipgate) now and that works
like a dream, I even have an additional ATA plugged into its' LAN port for
an additional 2 numbers, no mucking about with port forwarding or DMZ at
all, it just works..!

I still don't get reliable results with click to dial though, see my other
post.

Ivor

Old November 13th 05, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:00:51 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

An ATA box bought from Sipgate.

Which one..?

HandyTone-486

As far as I know that's the only one they have ever sold.