bluetooth mobile as FXS interface for asterisk

Old November 12th 05, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Default bluetooth mobile as FXS interface for asterisk

I'm sure the following is possible, but has anyone done it? Basically I've
got a bluetooth-enabled mobile with free minutes I never manage to use up
and an asterisk server with a bluetooth dongle on it. As you may have
guessed by now, I want to do the following:

{PSTN}---(mobile)---{bluetooth}---(Asterisk)---{SIP}---(my extensions)

So I want to make free calls to the PSTN with my bundled minutes, from my
extensions. I'm not particularly interested in receiving calls from the
mobile to (my extensions) but I guess it would be handy. Asterisk would
also need to fall back to the default trunk if the mobile wasn't there [ie
during the day when I'm not at home]. I assume that I wouldn't be able to
set CLID on the "GSM trunk" to a given number.

I am aware of the proper GSM FXS interfaces that are available for *, but
tbh I'm just doing this for a bit of fun and as a proof of concept.
--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
13:08:46 up 9 days, 16:43, 4 users, load average: 1.15, 0.85, 0.67

Old November 12th 05, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

alexd wrote:
|| I'm sure the following is possible, but has anyone done it? Basically
|| I've got a bluetooth-enabled mobile with free minutes I never manage
|| to use up and an asterisk server with a bluetooth dongle on it. As you
|| may have guessed by now, I want to do the following:
|| {PSTN}---(mobile)---{bluetooth}---(Asterisk)---{SIP}---(my extensions)
|| So I want to make free calls to the PSTN with my bundled minutes, from
|| my extensions. I'm not particularly interested in receiving calls from
|| the mobile to (my extensions) but I guess it would be handy. Asterisk
|| would also need to fall back to the default trunk if the mobile wasn't
|| there [ie during the day when I'm not at home]. I assume that I
|| wouldn't be able to set CLID on the "GSM trunk" to a given number.
|| I am aware of the proper GSM FXS interfaces that are available for *,
|| but tbh I'm just doing this for a bit of fun and as a proof of concept.
|| --
|| http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
|| 13:08:46 up 9 days, 16:43, 4 users, load average: 1.15, 0.85, 0.67
|| This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

I use this device for exactly that, although you need an ATA or digium card
in addition.

http://www.phonelabs.com/prd05.asp

I tried going down th BT dongle route & gave up the search.

Old November 12th 05, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joe Harrison

I'd like to do this the other way around, use my mobile handset to make
calls over VOIP. Does work OK with bluetooth headset - dongle - Skype, but
can't see way to use handset instead.

Old November 12th 05, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Joe Harrison wrote:
|| I'd like to do this the other way around, use my mobile handset to make
|| calls over VOIP. Does work OK with bluetooth headset - dongle -
|| Skype, but can't see way to use handset instead.

Are you using Asterisk yourself?

BT have brought (are bringing?) out a device that uses the cellular network
when away from home & a wireless (not sure if it's bluetooth or traditional
wifi) router for VOIP when at home. Apparently, it will even transfer calls
from VOIP to cellular if you leave the house whilst on a call.

As for using an existing handset with bluetooth to act as a headset, I doubt
that it is possible. (it'd be interesting to learn otherwise)

Old November 12th 05, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

Joe Harrison wrote:

I'd like to do this the other way around, use my mobile handset to make
calls over VOIP. Does work OK with bluetooth headset - dongle - Skype,
but can't see way to use handset instead.

If you've got a 'smartphone' it should be possible to install a SIP client
and register it with your * server. How you get a data connection from your
phone to the * server depends on the phone; for example, Nokia do a Series
60 WiFi phone that comes with a SIP stack[1] built in; /me doubts the phone
is very cheap, however. Bluetooth is OK for short range comms [ie a
bluetooth mobile could happily replace my deskphone, which I could then
redeploy elsewhere], but useless for longer range comms. And WiFi is longer
range, however, I don't imagine battery life will be too good.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
20:52:56 up 10 days, 27 min, 4 users, load average: 0.19, 0.42, 0.39

[1] that's a *stack* not an actual client
Old November 13th 05, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
pzboyz

alexd wrote:
[...]

In theory this is possible, you need to configure the Bluetooth Dongle
on the PC as a Handsfree Profile device, then send the ATD22837928374;
string and it will make outgoing calls. The phone will send back
messages called 'call' and 'callsetup' these will allow the * box to
know the call status.

pzboyz.
Old November 18th 05, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
alexd

pzboyz wrote:

alexd wrote:
[...]

What will happen to the audio stream to/from the call?

alexd
--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
08:23:31 up 12 days, 11:58, 3 users, load average: 0.64, 0.35, 0.34

Old November 18th 05, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
pzboyz

alexd wrote:

What will happen to the audio stream to/from the call?

alexd

The mobile phone will establish an audio channel with your USB device,
audio will be full-duplex. All phones I am aware of will, if you start a
call using the ATD command will start the audio channel automatically.

pzboyz.
Old November 20th 05, 02:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo Zourzouvillys

alexd wrote:

I'm sure the following is possible, but has anyone done it? Basically I've
got a bluetooth-enabled mobile with free minutes I never manage to use up
and an asterisk server with a bluetooth dongle on it. As you may have
guessed by now, I want to do the following:

Sort of. Many phones that support HFP (HandsFreeProfile) don't support
being in HS (HeadSet) mode, and only support AG (AudioGateway) mode, iirc,
only a couple of the moto phones support both modes, certianly all pre
nokia 6110's don't.

Almost all modern (i.e, last 6 months) bluetooth headsets support HFP in HS
mode, which you could use with a bluetooth dongle and somethign to emulate
an AG.

I wrote chan_bluetooth [1] for asterisk for pretty much this reason, which
i've not touched in about 6 months due to (a) real work (b) didn't seem to
be much interest in it, and (c) asterisk internals becomign far to messy.

However, i've had a number of emails recently from people asking about it,
and now the nokia 770 has been released it starts to become even more
useful, and i might start wanting to use it again, although probably minus
asterisk ;p

Once i've got some free time again (which will hopfully be soon - hmm,
maybe!), i'll revive chan_bluetooth, fix all the bugs that have been
reported and get it working correctly to HFP 1.0 and with asterisk 1.2 now
it's out.

as a side note, has anyone found any CTP v1.1 or v1.2 devices? A CTP 1.1
phone with asterisk + bluetooth dongle might make a decent replacement for
a wireless SIP phone.

~ theo

1 - http://crazygreek.co.uk/content/chan_bluetooth

--